• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2014 4:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2289 posts
324 upvotes

[Costco] Marmot Precip waterproof breathable jacket $64.99 Costco

The Costco in Gatineau had Marmot Precip jackets for $64.99. I think it usually retails for around $119. They had various men's sizes and colours. This is Marmot's basic waterproof, breathable, unlined shell. Similar to the North Face Venture, etc.This is a really good deal on a high quality rain jacket/shell.

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... L1500_.jpg[/IMG]

(someone want to tell me how to make the image smaller?!)
53 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19491 posts
6653 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I have one, I paid $39 for it (not from costco, deal was never widely available and you can't get it at that price any more so don't ask!). Marmot is a good company but this jacket is VERY basic... the best feature is probably that it comes with pitzips in such a cheap jacket but make no mistake this is no Beta AR/LT or even SL kind of quality and durability. I'm pretty sure one or two rubs against a sharp branch and it will come apart/rip. But then again, if you're okay with this possibility (and possibly being wet the rest of the day due to it) Marmot does have a lifetime warranty like most other top/reputable outdoor gear companies though I have never actually had to theirs yet).
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21381 posts
2621 upvotes
Toronto
Good price for a waterproof shell......

I picked up a LaCordee shell (made by Outdoor Research) similar to this a few yrs back and it cost me $99....and I thought that was a good deal!

EDIT - just saw BinaryJay's post and $39 is even better!!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Dec 30, 2007
144 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
Would this be a good jacket for cycling ?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2187 posts
472 upvotes
Red Deer
Thanks op. Would you mind posting the costco item number (it's on your receipt). Didn't see any at my local costco but with an item number we'd be able to check other locations.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28076 posts
13285 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one last yr online (to replace my Arcteryx) and I think I paid $50 US ?? Not bad. Not as good as Arcteryx.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
bought this jacket and imho, it doesn't breathe particularly well. . .in the recent -5c temps with no precipitation, i wore this with a t-shirt and a light sweater layered together--when i got home, there was a slick coating of perspiration on the inside of the jacket even though i did no exertion other than getting in and out of my car--frankly, trapping the moisture on the inside of the jacket is no better than letting the moisture in from the get-go.

i might be returning this jacket, even at this price.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19934 posts
4520 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
gabuser wrote: Would this be a good jacket for cycling ?
Better to have a cycling specific jacket that has pockets on the back. Much more convenient.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19491 posts
6653 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
booblehead wrote: I bought one last yr online (to replace my Arcteryx) and I think I paid $50 US ?? Not bad. Not as good as Arcteryx.
Why would you replace arcteryx with this? :P I am keeping my Beta SL and Beta LT foreeeever for shells.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1281 posts
498 upvotes
Check out your local winners too if you're looking for a jacket. Usually around this time they get new winter stock
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19491 posts
6653 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
bigben- wrote: basically fugly
Huh the jacket looks good enough *because* it is basic.
Dec 4, 2009
186 posts
50 upvotes
GVRD
it is not 100% waterproof and not really breathable.
"NOTHING HAUNTS US LIKE THE THINGS WE DON'T SAY."

-MITCH ALBOM
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1912 posts
335 upvotes
Ottawa
BTW Anything breathable is not 100% waterproof and I will agree that there is more breathable products out there but not at this price point or pack size.
MrMichyo wrote: it is not 100% waterproof and not really breathable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1912 posts
335 upvotes
Ottawa
I know Marmot says it's breathable but it's not Gortex or anything like it. It does have plenty of venting and the fabric has a rubber like liner to make it water proof. I have had one for at least 10 years and the liner started peeling recently but they gladly replaced it. For the price I think it is a great pack jacket as the typical breathable type of rain jackets are much bulkier. It does serve a purpose and suits certain needs but there is no one size fits all jacket for every condition. This is the lightest and least bulky waterproof jacket I own.
afong56 wrote: bought this jacket and imho, it doesn't breathe particularly well. . .in the recent -5c temps with no precipitation, i wore this with a t-shirt and a light sweater layered together--when i got home, there was a slick coating of perspiration on the inside of the jacket even though i did no exertion other than getting in and out of my car--frankly, trapping the moisture on the inside of the jacket is no better than letting the moisture in from the get-go.

i might be returning this jacket, even at this price.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2410 posts
888 upvotes
North York
Any tall sizes at cost Co?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1134 posts
694 upvotes
Montreal
booblehead wrote: I bought one last yr online (to replace my Arcteryx) and I think I paid $50 US ?? Not bad. Not as good as Arcteryx.
for $65 you might be able to buy one Arcteryx glove. Why even make a comparison like that?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1134 posts
694 upvotes
Montreal
Lumber-jack wrote: BTW Anything breathable is not 100% waterproof and I will agree that there is more breathable products out there but not at this price point or pack size.
Actually I read some reviews before on the Precip and it said it wasn't waterproof. You're wrong saying that because it's waterproof breathable that it's not breathable. That's like saying a zebra isn't a zebra. Or 100% guaranteed but not guaranteed. Personally I find no point in buying a rain jacket that isn't waterproof.