• Jul 23rd, 2020 10:36 am
[OP]
Nov 29, 2009
210 posts
136 upvotes
London

Married vs Common-Law Rules In Ontario

Hello Fellow Rfdr's,

I have done my research but thought I would asked the "masses" for any additional helpful information. Specifically, the MAJOR laws that differ between the two? It never is a bad thing to want more or (better?) information imo.

TIA ...
WISDOM IS JUST A HIGHER LEVEL OF COMMON SENSE ...
5 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
14492 posts
184 upvotes
Kingston, ON
fortune500 wrote: Hello Fellow Rfdr's,

I have done my research but thought I would asked the "masses" for any additional helpful information. Specifically, the MAJOR laws that differ between the two? It never is a bad thing to want more or (better?) information imo.

TIA ...
Very little after a year cohabitating I believe. You're treated under law as a married couple after that whether you or your partner likes it.

Only real difference is property division in the case of a split.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
[OP]
Nov 29, 2009
210 posts
136 upvotes
London
king_george wrote: Very little after a year cohabitating I believe. You're treated under law as a married couple after that whether you or your partner likes it.

Only real difference is property division in the case of a split.
I appreciate your input with your comment on "property division" which is correct. However, under Ontario rules you have to be cohabiting for a minimum 3 years except in the case of having a child together either naturally or by adoption in which case it is a minimum of 1 year to be considered "common law". I just didn't want someone to think they were in a common law relationship with only one year together. Cheers!
WISDOM IS JUST A HIGHER LEVEL OF COMMON SENSE ...
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
14492 posts
184 upvotes
Kingston, ON
fortune500 wrote: I appreciate your input with your comment on "property division" which is correct. However, under Ontario rules you have to be cohabiting for a minimum 3 years except in the case of having a child together either naturally or by adoption in which case it is a minimum of 1 year to be considered "common law". I just didn't want someone to think they were in a common law relationship with only one year together. Cheers!
Thanks. I just checked and I got the one year number from a benefits manual from the provincial government. After a year together then the couple gets marital benefits. 3 years seems reasonable but I've read of some truly horrid breakups that rival bitter divorces.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7701 posts
1161 upvotes
GTA
fortune500 wrote: I appreciate your input with your comment on "property division" which is correct. However, under Ontario rules you have to be cohabiting for a minimum 3 years except in the case of having a child together either naturally or by adoption in which case it is a minimum of 1 year to be considered "common law". I just didn't want someone to think they were in a common law relationship with only one year together. Cheers!
Keep in mind, for the CRA - for tax purposes, they use one year. You're supposed to change your marital status with them at the end of the following month after your status changed.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4395 posts
2569 upvotes
Toronto
There are multiple definitions of common-law depending if you are looking at Provincial or Federal applications.

Under Federal law, regardless of Province you are common-law for CRA tax purposes after 1 year of cohabitation, or immediately if you are cohabiting less than 1 year but had a child together. For taxes it is mandatory (not optional) to change status to common-law after it happens.
Also under Federal law for immigration purposes (so sponsoring a common-law partner for PR) the rule is 1 year. For immigration there is no exception for having a child together, you still need 1 year cohabitation.

For family law purposes, this follows Provincial rules so that is where the 3 years (or less if child together) for Ontario applies. For the rules on this and how it differs from marriage, there are ample articles from lawyers with a quick google search. https://www.separation.ca/family-law/common-law/