• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 10:53 pm
[OP]
Aug 26, 2003
284 posts
334 upvotes

Marriott Bonvoy Amex Credit Card- Travel Zoo special $50 statement Credit

Deal Link:
Just receive a email regarding the Marriott Bonvoy Amex card. Normal annual fee is $120, so it will $70 after credit. Make sure you spend $50 at a participating Marriott Bonvoy property in your first 6 months

This is better then signing up via a referral link. Applying through a referral link will earn you 51,000 Bonvoy points, which is 1,000 points higher than the this offer, but comes with a higher spending requirement of $3,000 in the first three months (compared to $1,500 for the public offer) and no $50 statement credit

Use RSVP code

MARRIOTT1 to apply for the Card.

Travelzoo members can take advantage of a Card offer which includes the exceptional benefits of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card plus a members-only bonus: a $50 statement credit when you charge a minimum of $50 at a participating Marriott Bonvoy property in your first 6 months of Cardmembership[1].

You can also earn 50,000 Welcome Bonus points after you charge $1,500 in purchases to your Card in your first 3 months of Cardmembership[1] – which is enough for 3 nights at a Category 2 hotel[1].

With your Card, you will earn 5 points for every $1 in eligible Card purchases[2] at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties, and 2 points for every $1 for all other Card purchases[2].

The Card comes with plenty of other travel perks such as an Annual Free Night Award after your anniversary each year[3].
10 replies
Nov 21, 2012
261 posts
122 upvotes
Richmond
Only for who's going to stay in a Marriott property anyway. I won't force myself to do that just for the sake of $50 deduction.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5493 posts
3563 upvotes
alfred2003 wrote: Only for who's going to stay in a Marriott property anyway. I won't force myself to do that just for the sake of $50 deduction.
Really it is only a $30 difference compared to applying through GCR (which is offering $20 cash).
BUT... Presumably you are one to stay at marriott if you are applying for this card... So take the extra $30?
Apr 6, 2017
822 posts
1295 upvotes
Marriott is really gone down since the merger. As a lifetime titanium I would ask you to try another chain first. Good ole Arne.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12076 posts
2222 upvotes
Mississauga
alfred2003 wrote: Only for who's going to stay in a Marriott property anyway. I won't force myself to do that just for the sake of $50 deduction.
You already have this card.
Nov 22, 2016
78 posts
80 upvotes
I applied through great canadian rebates when the card first came out and got $50 without any strings, the card pays for itself with the free stay certificate yearly. However, the quality of marriott has really gone downhill since the merger. Gold elite here and I hesitate booking with them everytime now.
Oct 22, 2007
359 posts
360 upvotes
Funny enough - I’m at a Marriott right now. Wifi and tv aren’t working. At least they threw me 10000 prs and waived the daily resort fee. We booked here bc the old Starwood hotels now charge extra for more than 2 ppl per room.
Mar 3, 2017
67 posts
54 upvotes
Super cold deal if you're chasing MR points. MR points were devalued big time when the merger happened between the category points requirements increasing, hotels increasing in category, and the introduction of off-peak, standard, and peak season point levels.

Stayed at a JW Marriott hotel in 2018 that needed 45k points/night. It now needs 60k points/night for a standard, 70k for peak season.

Pass. Not worth wasting my time and aggravation over...especially when Marriott tends to be more expensive if paying cash.
Apr 2, 2008
653 posts
318 upvotes
spicedndiet wrote: Super cold deal if you're chasing MR points. MR points were devalued big time when the merger happened between the category points requirements increasing, hotels increasing in category, and the introduction of off-peak, standard, and peak season point levels.

Stayed at a JW Marriott hotel in 2018 that needed 45k points/night. It now needs 60k points/night for a standard, 70k for peak season.

Pass. Not worth wasting my time and aggravation over...especially when Marriott tends to be more expensive if paying cash.
I would say the benefits are still there (redeem for 4 nights and stay for 5 nights; last minute booking when the price is over the roof; 10K points hotel along major highway in US; reasonable price in Japan...) but the door got much narrower for most of us. I only redeem point when 120K equal at least $1200 USD (200K pts = $2K...) for 5 nights at downtown depending on the city.
Save a lot but end up spending more :confused:
Mar 3, 2017
67 posts
54 upvotes
bluewish wrote: I would say the benefits are still there (redeem for 4 nights and stay for 5 nights; last minute booking when the price is over the roof; 10K points hotel along major highway in US; reasonable price in Japan...) but the door got much narrower for most of us. I only redeem point when 120K equal at least $1200 USD (200K pts = $2K...) for 5 nights at downtown depending on the city.
IF I was to hang on to redeeming MR points, it would be something last minute when the price is insane, a special event occurring (i.e. Stampede or F1 in Montreal) and even then it's a rarity. The only hotel in my area that would charge those crazy last minute special event prices is a cat 5 which makes a redemption at $0.01/point...not worth it IMO. The fifth night free is still nice, but it gets nuked when in the example I've cited, you're paying an additional 60k points over the stay.

Asia in general still has some decent redemptions though, but I'm doubtful I'm going that way any time soon.

Of course, this is all JMO. The program may still work for some, but definitely not for me.