Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Marriott Bonvoy

Save 30% when you buy 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy™ points

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 1:18 am
Feb 10, 2009
512 posts
162 upvotes

Save 30% when you buy 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy™ points

Deal Link:
Savings:
30%
Expiry:
October 18, 2019
Retailer:
Marriott Bonvoy
Treat yourself or a friend to faster rewards. Save 30% when you buy 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy™ points. Offer expires October 18, 2019.

DOUBLE YOUR LIMIT: The annual maximum for purchased points will be raised from 50,000 points to 100,000 points between September 14 and October 18.

https://storefront.points.com/marriott/ ... uy?irgwc=1
32 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2387 posts
17484 upvotes
In late 2018/early 2019 Marriott raised the categories/point requirements making it more points per night, and just recently now this year introduced peak/off season differences - what used to be the flat rate (in points) year round is now off-season, and peak season is higher than properties have ever been.

Even with the 30% bonus I can't see buying Marriott points ever being worth it.
May 22, 2018
106 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Leverage wrote: In late 2018/early 2019 Marriott raised the categories/point requirements making it more points per night, and just recently now this year introduced peak/off season differences - what used to be the flat rate (in points) year round is now off-season, and peak season is higher than properties have ever been.

What used to be the flat rate, is now the 'standard' season pricing. Off-peak season pricing from Marriott is lower than the past flat rate.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5185 posts
1828 upvotes
Mississauga
Leverage wrote: In late 2018/early 2019 Marriott raised the categories/point requirements making it more points per night, and just recently now this year introduced peak/off season differences - what used to be the flat rate (in points) year round is now off-season, and peak season is higher than properties have ever been.

I tried to hotels in Paris for November and it's cheaper to pay regular rate than use points.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
1128 posts
276 upvotes

This is what is now deterring me from buying points. I took advantage of this last year to top up my reward points that I received from my Amex Bonvoy CC and managed to use it in San Diego. I just checked the rates for the same hotel and same time period and sure enough they've raised the points required for the same stay. I think the best way to utilize the points moving forward are on properties located in not so touristy areas, which kind of defeats the purpose too. For example, cross-border shopping towards Michigan, the nightly rates are as low as 10k points.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10531 posts
4735 upvotes
Burnaby
GateGuardian wrote: I tried to hotels in Paris for November and it's cheaper to pay regular rate than use points.
Few people want or are able to go to Paris in November too. That's just a supply and demand issue.

Vancouver winter is mid 100s but go to 400-500 per night in the summer
Dec 6, 2012
485 posts
316 upvotes
North
crimsona wrote: Few people want or are able to go to Paris in November too. That's just a supply and demand issue.

Vancouver winter is mid 100s but go to 400-500 per night in the summer
This. We're going to Van during the Celebration of Light next year, 140,000 points for 5 nights at a class 5 hotel. This hotel is $500 a night so we're getting 1.78 cents value per Bonvoy point. This sale is worth it if you have a plan for the points. If you don't have a plan for them, then you probably shouldn't be buying them.
2013 - 7 Wins - $6850 - Trip to NC/Drove NASCAR
2014 - 4 Wins - $525
Sep 30, 2008
852 posts
552 upvotes
Edmonton
I’m planning a trip to the Delta in Victoria in October. It’s a touristy area but also shoulder season. The rate on the website is $269/nt and works out to $316/nt all-in or with this promo I can buy points for $306.25. It’s hard to argue that buying points is a good deal when you’re saving $10/nt on a $300+ room (roughy 3%). Maybe it’s worth it for others though.
Jun 16, 2009
713 posts
432 upvotes
Mississauga
Sinoed wrote: I’m planning a trip to the Delta in Victoria in October. It’s a touristy area but also shoulder season. The rate on the website is $269/nt and works out to $316/nt all-in or with this promo I can buy points for $306.25. It’s hard to argue that buying points is a good deal when you’re saving $10/nt on a $300+ room (roughy 3%). Maybe it’s worth it for others though.
In your case , ONLY if you are staying 5 nights, you maybe better off Buying the Points. Marriott has a feature stay 5 nights , Pay for 4 nights when using points.

$ 316 / night for 5 nights $1580 if you paid with cash

$ 306.25 / night for 5 nights (paying for 4 ) $ 1225
Savings $ 355
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1184 posts
1652 upvotes
Vancouver
There are still many hotels worth getting points for. It is HARDER to find a good deal nowadays. I scored Courtyard Marriott at coconut beach in Kauai which is class 4 but will probably go up in class soon as it is being converted to Sheraton next month. During xmas their prices is $500+ per night at the moment but only costed me 25k points per night. It gets about $2 per pts even before considering 5th night free.
Jun 9, 2018
67 posts
68 upvotes
The price of the points is in US$.
If I buy it with my Canadian Credit card, Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card, on top of it, I have to pay FX fee, right ?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3803 posts
4164 upvotes
Mordor
taya1214 wrote: There are still many hotels worth getting points for. It is HARDER to find a good deal nowadays. I scored Courtyard Marriott at coconut beach in Kauai which is class 4 but will probably go up in class soon as it is being converted to Sheraton next month. During xmas their prices is $500+ per night at the moment but only costed me 25k points per night. It gets about $2 per pts even before considering 5th night free.
Ot, go to Kukuiula store and get the poipu paradise acai bowl when u are in Kauai. I still dream it
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5185 posts
1828 upvotes
Mississauga
CarlosYVR wrote: The price of the points is in US$.
If I buy it with my Canadian Credit card, Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card, on top of it, I have to pay FX fee, right ?
That's correct
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
1423 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
I havent done the math yet. I typically use AEROPLAN to book business class flights on EVA to Asia...150k Aeroplan points round trip with little fuel surcharge unlike AC. I take this route at least once a year, and I collect Aeroplan exclusively for this.

During bonus 30% conversion event (from Bonvoy to Aeroplan), I wonder if purchasing the points would be anywhere close to worthwhile.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1184 posts
1652 upvotes
Vancouver
Normally the conversion is 60k Marriott to 25k Aeroplan (2.4:1). With 30% more, you will get 60k Marriot to 32.5k (1.846:1). You can buy Marriott points @ USD 0.875 per point. 0.875 * 1.846 = USD 1.615 per aeroplan. Roughly 2 cents CAD per aeroplan. If you were to fly business class using this, you can come out ahead as it usually boosts aeroplan value to upper 2 cents to 3 cents depending on the route and airline.
Again, this only works based on 60k marriott denomination so if you are thinking about it, do it to that amount only.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1916 posts
1296 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MR points is worth it for 2nd or 3rd world countries where the categories are low 1-3 but the price is 150-300 a night.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10531 posts
4735 upvotes
Burnaby
taya1214 wrote: Normally the conversion is 60k Marriott to 25k Aeroplan (2.4:1). With 30% more, you will get 60k Marriot to 32.5k (1.846:1). You can buy Marriott points @ USD 0.875 per point. 0.875 * 1.846 = USD 1.615 per aeroplan. Roughly 2 cents CAD per aeroplan. If you were to fly business class using this, you can come out ahead as it usually boosts aeroplan value to upper 2 cents to 3 cents depending on the route and airline.
Again, this only works based on 60k marriott denomination so if you are thinking about it, do it to that amount only.
Points.com is a Canadian company, so add GST/HST to your amount unless using a US card. Also will be charged forex fees unless using a specific card or USD card to mitigate.

If you're using Marriott, ANA or Alaska could be a better choice depending on your destination - even with Aeroplan 30% bonus involved.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1184 posts
1652 upvotes
Vancouver
crimsona wrote: Points.com is a Canadian company, so add GST/HST to your amount unless using a US card. Also will be charged forex fees unless using a specific card or USD card to mitigate.

If you're using Marriott, ANA or Alaska could be a better choice depending on your destination - even with Aeroplan 30% bonus involved.
Yeap. I agree but it's getting more difficult to find the seats especially for Alaska. Personally, I never redeemed Aeroplan going to Asia as I never seem to find the value and the route choices that work. I would only use it for going to Europe for Aeroplan.
Dec 11, 2018
82 posts
45 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: I tried to hotels in Paris for November and it's cheaper to pay regular rate than use points.
its worth it for Orlando at Xmas. The rack rates are crazy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)