Expired Hot Deals

[Marriott Bonvoy] Save 30% when you buy 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy™ points

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 1:18 am
[OP]
Member
Feb 10, 2009
475 posts
108 upvotes

Save 30% when you buy 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy™ points

Deal Link:
Savings:
30%
Expiry:
October 18, 2019
Retailer:
Marriott Bonvoy
Treat yourself or a friend to faster rewards. Save 30% when you buy 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy™ points. Offer expires October 18, 2019.

DOUBLE YOUR LIMIT: The annual maximum for purchased points will be raised from 50,000 points to 100,000 points between September 14 and October 18.

https://storefront.points.com/marriott/ ... uy?irgwc=1
32 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2013
1515 posts
6752 upvotes
In late 2018/early 2019 Marriott raised the categories/point requirements making it more points per night, and just recently now this year introduced peak/off season differences - what used to be the flat rate (in points) year round is now off-season, and peak season is higher than properties have ever been.


Even with the 30% bonus I can't see buying Marriott points ever being worth it.
Newbie
May 22, 2018
85 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Leverage wrote: In late 2018/early 2019 Marriott raised the categories/point requirements making it more points per night, and just recently now this year introduced peak/off season differences - what used to be the flat rate (in points) year round is now off-season, and peak season is higher than properties have ever been.


Even with the 30% bonus I can't see buying Marriott points ever being worth it.
What used to be the flat rate, is now the 'standard' season pricing. Off-peak season pricing from Marriott is lower than the past flat rate.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4206 posts
532 upvotes
Scarborough
Leverage wrote: In late 2018/early 2019 Marriott raised the categories/point requirements making it more points per night, and just recently now this year introduced peak/off season differences - what used to be the flat rate (in points) year round is now off-season, and peak season is higher than properties have ever been.


Even with the 30% bonus I can't see buying Marriott points ever being worth it.
I tried to hotels in Paris for November and it's cheaper to pay regular rate than use points.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
1008 posts
136 upvotes
Leverage wrote: In late 2018/early 2019 Marriott raised the categories/point requirements making it more points per night, and just recently now this year introduced peak/off season differences - what used to be the flat rate (in points) year round is now off-season, and peak season is higher than properties have ever been.


Even with the 30% bonus I can't see buying Marriott points ever being worth it.
This is what is now deterring me from buying points. I took advantage of this last year to top up my reward points that I received from my Amex Bonvoy CC and managed to use it in San Diego. I just checked the rates for the same hotel and same time period and sure enough they've raised the points required for the same stay. I think the best way to utilize the points moving forward are on properties located in not so touristy areas, which kind of defeats the purpose too. For example, cross-border shopping towards Michigan, the nightly rates are as low as 10k points.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7702 posts
1264 upvotes
Burnaby
GateGuardian wrote: I tried to hotels in Paris for November and it's cheaper to pay regular rate than use points.
Few people want or are able to go to Paris in November too. That's just a supply and demand issue.

Vancouver winter is mid 100s but go to 400-500 per night in the summer
Member
Dec 6, 2012
479 posts
302 upvotes
North
crimsona wrote: Few people want or are able to go to Paris in November too. That's just a supply and demand issue.

Vancouver winter is mid 100s but go to 400-500 per night in the summer
This. We're going to Van during the Celebration of Light next year, 140,000 points for 5 nights at a class 5 hotel. This hotel is $500 a night so we're getting 1.78 cents value per Bonvoy point. This sale is worth it if you have a plan for the points. If you don't have a plan for them, then you probably shouldn't be buying them.
2013 - 7 Wins - $6850 - Trip to NC/Drove NASCAR
2014 - 4 Wins - $525
Sr. Member
Sep 30, 2008
728 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
I’m planning a trip to the Delta in Victoria in October. It’s a touristy area but also shoulder season. The rate on the website is $269/nt and works out to $316/nt all-in or with this promo I can buy points for $306.25. It’s hard to argue that buying points is a good deal when you’re saving $10/nt on a $300+ room (roughy 3%). Maybe it’s worth it for others though.
Member
Jun 16, 2009
398 posts
137 upvotes
Mississauga
Sinoed wrote: I’m planning a trip to the Delta in Victoria in October. It’s a touristy area but also shoulder season. The rate on the website is $269/nt and works out to $316/nt all-in or with this promo I can buy points for $306.25. It’s hard to argue that buying points is a good deal when you’re saving $10/nt on a $300+ room (roughy 3%). Maybe it’s worth it for others though.
In your case , ONLY if you are staying 5 nights, you maybe better off Buying the Points. Marriott has a feature stay 5 nights , Pay for 4 nights when using points.

$ 316 / night for 5 nights $1580 if you paid with cash

$ 306.25 / night for 5 nights (paying for 4 ) $ 1225
Savings $ 355
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2009
626 posts
544 upvotes
Vancouver
There are still many hotels worth getting points for. It is HARDER to find a good deal nowadays. I scored Courtyard Marriott at coconut beach in Kauai which is class 4 but will probably go up in class soon as it is being converted to Sheraton next month. During xmas their prices is $500+ per night at the moment but only costed me 25k points per night. It gets about $2 per pts even before considering 5th night free.
Newbie
Jun 9, 2018
12 posts
34 upvotes
The price of the points is in US$.
If I buy it with my Canadian Credit card, Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card, on top of it, I have to pay FX fee, right ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 22, 2014
3083 posts
2821 upvotes
Mordor
taya1214 wrote: There are still many hotels worth getting points for. It is HARDER to find a good deal nowadays. I scored Courtyard Marriott at coconut beach in Kauai which is class 4 but will probably go up in class soon as it is being converted to Sheraton next month. During xmas their prices is $500+ per night at the moment but only costed me 25k points per night. It gets about $2 per pts even before considering 5th night free.
Ot, go to Kukuiula store and get the poipu paradise acai bowl when u are in Kauai. I still dream it
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4206 posts
532 upvotes
Scarborough
CarlosYVR wrote: The price of the points is in US$.
If I buy it with my Canadian Credit card, Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card, on top of it, I have to pay FX fee, right ?
That's correct
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 2, 2007
1177 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
I havent done the math yet. I typically use AEROPLAN to book business class flights on EVA to Asia...150k Aeroplan points round trip with little fuel surcharge unlike AC. I take this route at least once a year, and I collect Aeroplan exclusively for this.

During bonus 30% conversion event (from Bonvoy to Aeroplan), I wonder if purchasing the points would be anywhere close to worthwhile.

Top