Shopping Discussion

MARSHALLS Grand Opening, Now In Canada!--Thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2012 1:14 am
[OP]
Apr 29, 2011
710 posts
43 upvotes
Innisfil

MARSHALLS Grand Opening, Now In Canada!--Thoughts?

Hi Everybody,

I went to the Marshalls in Ajax this weekend to check out what this store is about. It seems to be just like a Winners store but added in with more higher-end designer brands. It reminds me very much of Burlington Coat Factory in the States (I wish they would bring one of those over to Canada!).

Anyway, what do you think of the selection they have? Did you find any good deals? I was able to pick up a designer bag for much lower than expected, and despite it being jam packed the lineup at the cash went smoothly and swiftly.

I went later in the afternoon so I wasn't able to rummage through the clothing section but I did see mens Michael Kors pants for $34.99, Christian Dior stilettos for $499.99, and beside them $19.99 Tommy Hilfiger flip flops. They have quite the price range! Be sure to double check where the decimal points are or your next pair of new shoes might accidentally come out to being half a grand! LOL

For those that haven't been they have men's, women's, children/baby sections full of clothing, shoes, accessories like glasses, hats and purses, household items, fragrance and beauty items. The emphasis is clearly on clothes moreso than anything else.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6674 posts
1416 upvotes
I think this has been discussed already. Marshalls locations have been open in Ontario since at least March of this year AFAIK.

I didn't see any difference between Marshalls and Winners the few times that I went. Well maybe today, just that I saw Coach purses for sale at Marshalls and I've never seen Winners sell Coash leather purses but that's about it.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21025 posts
5609 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
fuzzy_avocado wrote: Hi Everybody,

I went to the Marshalls in Ajax this weekend to check out what this store is about. It seems to be just like a Winners store but added in with more higher-end designer brands. It reminds me very much of Burlington Coat Factory in the States (I wish they would bring one of those over to Canada!).

Anyway, what do you think of the selection they have? Did you find any good deals? I was able to pick up a designer bag for much lower than expected, and despite it being jam packed the lineup at the cash went smoothly and swiftly.

I went later in the afternoon so I wasn't able to rummage through the clothing section but I did see mens Michael Kors pants for $34.99, Christian Dior stilettos for $499.99, and beside them $19.99 Tommy Hilfiger flip flops. They have quite the price range! Be sure to double check where the decimal points are or your next pair of new shoes might accidentally come out to being half a grand! LOL

For those that haven't been they have men's, women's, children/baby sections full of clothing, shoes, accessories like glasses, hats and purses, household items, fragrance and beauty items. The emphasis is clearly on clothes moreso than anything else.
Shill post.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Apr 29, 2011
710 posts
43 upvotes
Innisfil
Sorry, I have no relations to Marshalls whatsoever. Sorry if it comes off that way, but really bro, I have better things to do than pull off something pathetic like that.
Jucius Maximus wrote: Shill post.
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
I went to the one in Ajax yesterday and couldn't even be bothered to fight the crowds to get a good look at everything. Looked just like winners to me, except for perhaps a bigger shoe selection. I guess there were a few different brands, and some higher end stuff, but that's about the only difference I saw.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6564 posts
2774 upvotes
Montreal
Jucius Maximus wrote: Shill post.

Come on now. You think they need business so badly that they'd hire someone to make a post on a message forum? Don't be silly.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6564 posts
2774 upvotes
Montreal
How was their shoe selection? I found Marshall's in the US has a much better shoe selection than Winners.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2011
710 posts
43 upvotes
Innisfil
The shoe selection is quite large...I'd say 1/6 to 1/4 is dedicated to shoes. With the grand opening I can tell that they're trying to be as organized as possible with the shoe displays and boxes neatly corresponding to the shoes on display, but being back there on the second day you can tell that totally didn't last long lol.

I haven't been to a Marshall's in the US to compare one with Canada, however the shoes here are organized by category "athletic/casual/dressy" and then by size. Whereas I know Burlington Coat Factory has shoe categories but they also have aisles where it just goes by shoe size first and then whatever is on the rack.

Truly though, I was stunned to see Christian Dior pumps for $500 right beside $20 sandals. I guess you could say their selection here really depends on your budget. If you want to splurge, I saw for example a $400 Pucci military jacket, but if you dig through the racks you can find an equally cute jacket for a tenth of the price.

Oh, one more thing! There wasn't a lineup for the fitting room today and I have to mention I love the design of it. They are spacious with plenty of hooks and organized into categories: "Definitely, Possibly, and Tomorrow". That really helps but they could use other categories like "Definitely NOT" and "After I lose 10lbs" LOL. I also appreciated having a full length mirror inside the room as well as right outside in the middle, and the men/women sections were very appropriately segregated.
psyko514 wrote: How was their shoe selection? I found Marshall's in the US has a much better shoe selection than Winners.
May 12, 2004
934 posts
186 upvotes
Why do people make a big deal out of this? Winners and Marshalls belong to the same company. Same situation as FS and BB. I had my wife just buy things at Marshall because it was new. However upon returning home she noticed she didn't have any savings as nothing really was on 'sale'. Normally she'd try things on before buying however being opening week that wasn't possible. She's going to be returning things this week. Waste of her time. I reminded her that she could just shop at Winners. blah...
Oct 26, 2010
918 posts
1312 upvotes
some winners store (esp. ones at downtown) carries brand name hand bags and clothing too.

I have seen burberry, M.K., gucci and a few other branded bags and wallets there with original protecting bags.

Perhaps I had a high hope for mashalls in the first place, so I was kinda disappointed when I went in few weeks ago. Don't plan to go again as it is much further to get there than winners for my location.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
19 upvotes
I have seen Coach purses at Winners. They sell out fast. Especially when the staff grab them all up and leave just one or two on the floor/shelves :-0
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2010
1013 posts
135 upvotes
How are the fragrance choices and prices compared to winners?