• Jul 29th, 2020 2:42 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7429 posts
5280 upvotes
Toronto

Mason Jars - Fermentation

Was wondering if anyone knows where to look for a good deal on Mason Jars, and what normal pricing is, and what would be considered an amazing deal.

I have a bunch of regular mouth sized ones that I've been using for years.
Whenever I buy commercial products that come in a mason jar (ie spaghetti sauce), I keep the jars.
Plenty to work with - what I don't have is any wide mouth jars.
Are there any commercial products that are sold in wide mouth mason jars?
I guess I've never really paid attention.

I am planning to tinker around with fermentation, and have snagged some pickle-pipe lids.
https://www.masontops.com/products/pickle-pipe
They basically prevent air from coming in, but allow fermented vapours to leave.

I snagged both regular and wide mouth ones too - so need to get some jars.

Presently - fermenting some gooseberries, and two jars of French fry cut red potatoes.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
7 replies
May 28, 2012
11854 posts
4442 upvotes
Saskatoon
I use a repurposed 3 L Bick's pickle jar that I bought at Wholesale Club. The opening is larger than a wide mouth mason. I never bothered with weights or stones, just a new ziploc freezer bag half filled with water (or brine if you don't trust the bag not to leak). I'm not sure if you are going to get any standardized size openings from commercial jars, they seem to be made specific to the company's products.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28884 posts
14419 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I'm not sure if you are going to get any standardized size openings from commercial jars, they seem to be made specific to the company's products.
Usually if it's a custom container the lid might be custom, but there's quite a lot of standards out there. Your pickle jar may very well be a standard.

Source: I've purchased new lids for used jars before.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7429 posts
5280 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Usually if it's a custom container the lid might be custom, but there's quite a lot of standards out there. Your pickle jar may very well be a standard.

Classico pasta sauce uses a mason jar with standardised regular lid size.
You ditch their lid, and just use a proper canning ring/lid combo.
Just soak it in water (or use heat gun) to remove labels.

Wish more companies would do this (for reusability purposes).
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
May 28, 2012
11854 posts
4442 upvotes
Saskatoon
death_hawk wrote: Usually if it's a custom container the lid might be custom, but there's quite a lot of standards out there. Your pickle jar may very well be a standard.

I checked prior to posting and that 3L jar's opening is quite a bit larger than a wide mouth mason. I actually don't use the lid, it got rusty a long time ago. As long as there is enough liquid in the ferment, that bag of water/brine is enough to block out any air and I just use a few layers of cheesecloth for the top to keep insects out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28884 posts
14419 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I checked prior to posting and that 3L jar's opening is quite a bit larger than a wide mouth mason.
Oh you'd have to order a lid. Consumer lids for sure won't fit.
You might have a 110/400 lid if it's a gallon jar. But I think you mentioned 3L and Bicks so it may be custom.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8111 posts
3902 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There are places that will sell you lids but you'll have to buy them by the gross, or several grosses.

Could try a thrift shop. Some will sell (cheap) commercial (vs. home canning) jars. They sell home canning jars too.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China