Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Massdrop

Amazing bang for the buck Hi-Fi IEM's, BGVP DMG (Drop Deadline is this Friday!)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2019 5:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
feminazi wrote: I just found a delivery attempt note on my door from Canada Post regarding the delivery of these headphones. God it took a long time to get them and on top of that, it says I owe 27 bucks plus taxes . . .buyer beware because you might get dinged too and 27 bucks plus tax on top of the price of these headphones sours the deal somewhat for me . . .actually it sours the deal quite a bit. I could have bought them for 33-34 bucks more on Amazon.ca and had them in a couple of days or I could have waited for them to go on sale on Amazon and got them for cheaper . . .

The duties lottery seems brutally arbitrary and unfair, doesn't it?
Just got mine today and had the duty notice too. I am done with Massdrop moving forward. Screw the duty lottery.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2301 posts
1270 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: Just got mine today and had the duty notice too. I am done with Massdrop moving forward. Screw the duty lottery.
It ended up being 27.04 total which didn't include any duties, just 17+ in HST and 9.95 in handling by Canada Post . . .

My Massdrop total was 93 bucks because I used the referral code to save 10 bucks . . .

I tried the IEMs out quickly and I really prefer the silver filters to the stock ones as the highs are overwhelmed in my opinion with the stock filters. I can't imagine what they would sound like with the gold filters . . .

I have to listen to them a LOT more to get a good sense of how they sound but with only a very brief amount of listening time it seems like there is quite a bit of bass and that the highs are pretty solid but I am not sure about the mid-range . . .this jives with what a lot of people are saying but I can't say for sure what I think about them yet as I just started using them.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
unshavenyak wrote: Just got mine today and had the duty notice too. I am done with Massdrop moving forward. Screw the duty lottery.
On the cheaper stuff, massdrop isn't worth it. Brokerage fees really eat up savings.

I got the HD 6xx headphones and got dinged $40 but that was okay as I expected it and it was significant savings.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
evoviii wrote: On the cheaper stuff, massdrop isn't worth it. Brokerage fees really eat up savings.

I got the HD 6xx headphones and got dinged $40 but that was okay as I expected it and it was significant savings.
Yeah, I hear you. In that instance you're saving about $100 after the duties (or 25%), so it's worth it. It really is the inconsistency and lack of transparency that is so frustrating.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3874 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
Would be the 1More Triple drivers or Quad drivers over these anyday.

They go for $99 regularly and are up against ear phones in the $200-$300 range. Reviewed in all the hi-fi forums.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
zdpz wrote: Would be the 1More Triple drivers or Quad drivers over these anyday.

They go for $99 regularly and are up against ear phones in the $200-$300 range. Reviewed in all the hi-fi forums.
Great reviews on the 1More, but non-replaceable cables is a hard pass on any audio equipment for me. I've had to toss a set of UEs, Ety and Sonys before due to the cables failing.
Nov 13, 2011
16 posts
3 upvotes
TRENTON
I got hit with the duty too. At least they sound good...
Jul 31, 2008
77 posts
60 upvotes
Airdrie, Alberta
I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Bummed to hear about the duties but it is what it is at this point.

Did anyone else have issues with the Asendia USA tracking page only showing up to the Canada point and then nothing after? I can't use the tracking number they provided with Canada Post so wondering if I should bug Massdrop about this or just give it a few more days?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
kragnorok wrote: I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Bummed to hear about the duties but it is what it is at this point.

Did anyone else have issues with the Asendia USA tracking page only showing up to the Canada point and then nothing after? I can't use the tracking number they provided with Canada Post so wondering if I should bug Massdrop about this or just give it a few more days?
I had the same issue. It stops for everyone because it becomes a different carrier at the border and you just have to pray the Canada Post system is updated after that. My initial impressions are that the build quality looks good, detachable cables are great and sound quality is very good. Having said that, if I knew I was just going to pay list price, I would've gone with a more established brand.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
kragnorok wrote: I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Bummed to hear about the duties but it is what it is at this point.

Canada Post doesn't track it because it becomes some kind of letter mail or regular parcel, not expedited, i.e., it's the cheapest way to send something. Massdrop won't be able to help. And it's hard to complain because the shipping was only $3.25 USD.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
I don't understand this blaming of Massdrop. They don't charge you duties/taxes, your government does. Massdrop has no control over this. One should expect to pay at least taxes (GST or HST, no duties for most electronics), and if somehow customs don't charge you anything, yeah it's like you won a lottery. But winning a lottery is an exception, not the rule.

Having said this I am OK with paying taxes/duties but I hate the $10 processing fee. On the other hand we should be grateful that Massdrop doesn't ship by UPS.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
alpovs wrote: I don't understand this blaming of Massdrop. They don't charge you duties/taxes, your government does. Massdrop has no control over this. One should expect to pay at least taxes (GST or HST, no duties for most electronics), and if somehow customs don't charge you anything, yeah it's like you won a lottery. But winning a lottery is an exception, not the rule.

Having said this I am OK with paying taxes/duties but I hate the $10 processing fee. On the other hand we should be grateful that Massdrop doesn't ship by UPS.
You are right that the processing fee is high, it ranges from courier to courier. Also tax is easy to include but duties unfortunately is not and can be significant. It doesn't help when people promote these massdrop deals on the premise of the original price.

It's not crapping on massdrop but the misrepresentation of the savings. Would anyone have bought these IEM's if the savings was $3 over amazon's normal price and you had to wait 2 months?

There's already another thread on cheaper IEM's which with duties completely destroys the value proposition.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
evoviii wrote: You are right that the processing fee is high, it ranges from courier to courier. Also tax is easy to include but duties unfortunately is not and can be significant. It doesn't help when people promote these massdrop deals on the premise of the original price.

It's not crapping on massdrop but the misrepresentation of the savings. Would anyone have bought these IEM's if the savings was $3 over amazon's normal price and you had to wait 2 months?

There's already another thread on cheaper IEM's which with duties completely destroys the value proposition.
This. My frustration is not with Massdrop as a vendor, but the inconsistency of what the pricing nets out to for the drops. That's why I am just giving up on Massdrop unless it's a massive savings (e.g., Massdrop grey market camera lenses vs Canadian retail).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
evoviii wrote: You are right that the processing fee is high, it ranges from courier to courier. Also tax is easy to include but duties unfortunately is not and can be significant.
I ordered from Massdrop many times and they shipped either by DHL or Ascendia/USPS. In all cases the local delivery was by Canada Post and the fee was $10. Only UPS charges a different amount and Massdrop never ships by UPS. DHL, FedEx, Canada Post charge a $10 processing fee. Who else charges a different amount?

I never had to pay duties for items from Massdrop, only taxes. When did you have to pay duties (not taxes) last time? What did you order? I order mostly electronics and there has never been a duty charge. It is easy to check if your item can be charged duties - check the CBSA site: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... l-eng.html

And some things exist only on Massdrop.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2301 posts
1270 upvotes
I don't mind paying the taxes either but the handling fee is irritating. It was 10 bucks (Canada Post) though so not the end of the world . . .

I had a pair of Massdrop 5xx's sent to someone in the States to avoid the 15 dollars US shipping etc. They are 150 bucks US and from what I have read maybe even a better deal in terms of price/performance than the 6xx, which is already an astonishing deal to begin with . . .I will have to wait a couple of months to get them but I am willing to wait to save money.

I have the 1More Quads (Amazon lightning drop recently) and I like them a lot but I can't fairly compare them to the BGVP's yet as I haven't had a chance to really listen to and get used to them.

I figure between the Quads, DMG's and the 5xx I should be set for entry-level audiophile gear for awhile . . .I can get some serious gear years down the road . . .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Been using these most of the days. Aside from being annoyed with the hype of no additional taxes/fees from the original post, I am really enjoying these. Bass and impact are very inviting with wonderful separation. If you find them too warm, I would suggest the treble filters.
Last edited by unshavenyak on Feb 8th, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
feminazi wrote: I don't mind paying the taxes either but the handling fee is irritating. It was 10 bucks (Canada Post) though so not the end of the world . . .

I had a pair of Massdrop 5xx's sent to someone in the States to avoid the 15 dollars US shipping etc. They are 150 bucks US and from what I have read maybe even a better deal in terms of price/performance than the 6xx, which is already an astonishing deal to begin with . . .I will have to wait a couple of months to get them but I am willing to wait to save money.

I have the 1More Quads (Amazon lightning drop recently) and I like them a lot but I can't fairly compare them to the BGVP's yet as I haven't had a chance to really listen to and get used to them.

I figure between the Quads, DMG's and the 5xx I should be set for entry-level audiophile gear for awhile . . .I can get some serious gear years down the road . . .
Not sure on the 5xx vs 6xx, but I'm leaning 6xx once I sell my NAD HP50s and Sennheiser 598SEs. This time though I'll be sure to ship to a US address to avoid any delivery fee ambiguities.
Feb 18, 2017
22 posts
2 upvotes
Is there any update, if you guys were charged the customs, how much?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
iC10ud wrote: Is there any update, if you guys were charged the customs, how much?
HST + $10 handling fee for a total of $27.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)