• Jan 20th, 2019 11:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 4, 2010
718 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga

master bedroom Layout

Planing to renovate our master bedroom ( size 19' x 11' ) . I did sketches with an approximate layout and measurements . From this 2 layouts , witch one would you guys go ?
If you have any other layout ideas let me know
thanks

b good-1.jpg
layout 2.png
18 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11358 posts
2310 upvotes
Easily #2

Which is the entrance to the bedroom? Top or bottom?

I also assume the brown sections are closets?
[OP]
Mar 4, 2010
718 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
speedyforme wrote: Easily #2

Which is the entrance to the bedroom? Top or bottom?

I also assume the brown sections are closets?
The bottom is the entrance to bedroom .
Yes , ad the brown sections are the closets
Sep 12, 2003
658 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
The one on the right seems better designed, plumbing is closer together and seems more spacious. Why is the showe head on the current side in your design? Wouldn’t t be better on the opposite side?
Heatware: TheOneBarton
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11358 posts
2310 upvotes
ghighi wrote: The bottom is the entrance to bedroom .
Yes , ad the brown sections are the closets
If the bottom of the room is the entrance, I would flip the bathroom. Have the entrance closer to the door, the shower on the opposite wall etc. So the entrance of the bathroom and closet is beside the door and not as far as it is now.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4845 posts
4634 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote: If the bottom of the room is the entrance, I would flip the bathroom. Have the entrance closer to the door, the shower on the opposite wall etc. So the entrance of the bathroom and closet is beside the door and not as far as it is now.
+1

Even though it's an ensuite, other people in the house may frequently need to use it, so the closer to the main hallway, the easier it is for everyone, unless the intent is keep it private and almost hidden.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2010
718 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
jm1 wrote: +1

Even though it's an ensuite, other people in the house may frequently need to use it, so the closer to the main hallway, the easier it is for everyone, unless the intent is keep it private and almost hidden.
My idea was to have shorter plumbing runs : drain and water pipes
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1170 upvotes
Not sure if you've thought of this, have you had a plumber check out the existing plumbing? Usually the vanity/shower can be moved easily as it's only 1.5" pipe, but the 3" for the toilet can't easily go through floor joists and will limit you, depending on what's underneath. My vote is for #2.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4722 posts
4222 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like the toilet is in the same location in both designs and I expect where it is now. The current layout might help.

#2 is better. The only way #1 works is if you relocate the toilet. 20" is not enough space in front of the toilet to the wall. You'd need to rotate it 90 degrees and back against the outside wall.

In #2 you should flip the shower so the supply lines are all on the same wall - toilet, sink, shower faucet, assuming you have access to the shower fixture from the other side of that wall if need be. Having it back into a closet is ideal to make it no big deal to open the drywall and fix something, but any drywall can be patched. So long as it isn't on an outside wall.

You don't show any furniture in either layout aside from the bed. No dressers etc. just closet space? Are you outfitting the closets with drawers etc?
Feb 26, 2011
944 posts
1013 upvotes
Calgary
Definitely increase value w/ double vanity, more counter space, and bathroom storage!

Critique for #1:
What is the dead space down of the toilet going to be for?
Why are the 2 spaces for closets not walled off as walk-ins?
Considerations on how to place a TV?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1718 posts
1193 upvotes
Barrie ON
torontotim wrote: In #2 you should flip the shower so the supply lines are all on the same wall - toilet, sink, shower faucet, assuming you have access to the shower fixture from the other side of that wall if need be. Having it back into a closet is ideal to make it no big deal to open the drywall and fix something, but any drywall can be patched. So long as it isn't on an outside wall.

I don't know if building code restricts running supply lines in an exterior wall, but Google does have many references recommending to avoid this. That is another good reason to move all the plumbing to the interior wall of the bathroom, in addition to making future repairs easier.

I don't see if the OP mentioned if the walls around this bedroom are exterior or interior walls. We also don't know if this bedroom is on a 2nd floor, or above an unfinished basement. Knowing this could help determine the best layout as well. And of course as someone else already mentioned, were is the existing plumbing run, or is this a brand new ensuite.

Also questioning the small space in the upper right corner (of #2). I estimate it to be from 2 to 3 feet wide. That cabinet in the end will not hold much, I'm wondering if there is another solution that could make use of the entire space. Even if you ran a closet rod down the entire length, you would be brushing against the hanging clothing as you walked to the end. I suppose installing dressers along the top wall might work, but a standard dresser needs 30" to open a drawer fully. OP my have to stand at side of drawers to remove anything.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7602 posts
3384 upvotes
I think the one on the left works best with some changes. The toilet needs to be moved to the interior wall facing the shower. You could then fit a decent sized 36" vanity, which isn't quite as good as a double vanity, but does give a bit more space to share. And while it's nice to have a luxurious 4 1/2' shower, I don't think your space can accommodate that. 3'x3' will free up more space, then you can turn those two spaces in front of the bathroom into his and hers closets with sliders, and maybe even fit a narrow dresser in front of the closet on the exterior wall.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jun 3, 2006
943 posts
340 upvotes
Markham
Could the "hallway" area in #2 be made into a walk-in closet? You could then get rid of the closet by the door.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6416 posts
3004 upvotes
Durham
Our Master Bedroom is not really that big (13-1/2' x 14') ... but we got a spacious Master Bathroom measuring 10' x 8' (kind of a waste that the previous owner did not install a standup shower) and a pretty decent sized walk in closet (6' x 8').

Original layout with measurements from Builder Sketches:
MasterBed-1.jpg
MasterBed-2.jpg

Our current layout:
IMG_20190105_135044.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Mar 4, 2010
718 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
Made a few changes to maximize the space and a very rough idea of plumbing
plumbing-1.png
master final.png
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4163 posts
999 upvotes
so your closet is now inside your bathroom? I don't think that's a good idea from a resale perspective.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14850 upvotes
#1 raises so many questions
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6416 posts
3004 upvotes
Durham
Gee wrote: @AV-Fishing

Why is there a CAT5 Jack in your bathroom?
You gotta ask the builder or the previous owner why.

I wouldn't know why. All I know is that is a waste and bloody stupid.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2