• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2014 11:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote: I am willing to wager we have all had less than A graded beef and we don't even know it.
Or lower.
I remember when I was in the US and Taco Bell advertised one of their "premium" tacos as having USDA Select.
You have to wonder what's in their regular taco when you have the lowest purchasable grade at the retail level being advertised in their "good" stuff.

Then again... I've also seen Superstore stock A grade meat at AA or AAA at Costco prices.
I literally loled in store. I'm sure people looked at me funny.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Last time I was there was 15 years ago.

You definitely get what you pay for.

As for the quality. I don't know what grade the beef is, but he buys in bulk and lets it sit in its own blood to marble it for 6 weeks

He doesn't use a tenderizer says the blood will do all the work.

I think it is a decent for the price. Definitely a truck stop. Hence the 24 hours.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
george__ wrote: I just had a steak :D

NY Strip (pepper, salt and a LOT of spices)
Pees
Onions
Mashed potato*

* not pre-cooked/pre-packaged garbage*

BBQ (I tried frying pan but then the fats taste like crap) - then everything including the side dishes into the oven at 200 celcius for 30 minutes (flip the steak at the 15 minute mark) - comes out piping hot even the sides and the steak was a perfect medium rare.

edit - I inspected a cut of the steak. It's kind of neat.

The edges of the steak are still rare but the top and bottom are cooked and the middle is red. And once I cut the edges off, every time I cut the steak the red blood juices spewed everywhere and ruined my mashed potatoes (think gravy) :(
how was the pee pee?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Or lower.
I remember when I was in the US and Taco Bell advertised one of their "premium" tacos as having USDA Select.
You have to wonder what's in their regular taco when you have the lowest purchasable grade at the retail level being advertised in their "good" stuff.

Then again... I've also seen Superstore stock A grade meat at AA or AAA at Costco prices.
I literally loled in store. I'm sure people looked at me funny.
I'm asian so I am not too picky, the beef in chinese stirfrys are usually lower quality cuts, flank steak marninated in baking soda like a lot of restaurants do.

If you are grilling beef, it should be tender enough. Really for 9.99, I am not going to expect AAA steaks. It's all about managing expectations.
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Last time I was there was 15 years ago.

You definitely get what you pay for.

As for the quality. I don't know what grade the beef is, but he buys in bulk and lets it sit in its own blood to marble it for 6 weeks

He doesn't use a tenderizer says the blood will do all the work.

I think it is a decent for the price. Definitely a truck stop. Hence the 24 hours.
Is it still 24 hours open? The lady last time said they close early on some days
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
Nov 26, 2008
183 posts
6 upvotes
Vaughan
rammingman wrote: Is it still 24 hours open? The lady last time said they close early on some days
I don't think it's 24hrs, but open pretty late. I'm thinking 1-2am.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
:o Has anyone been here recently?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
This place is such a $hit hole. Don't risk your health going.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
The value is not even there, don't buy into the "cheap steaks" hype.. it isn't what it appears to be.. Order the food and you'll see you're definitely not getting a great deal
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
I would only go if you want steak and eggs special, the dinner I did not enjoy much. Kind of need more of a Keg like atmosphere for dinner.
Feb 22, 2004
113 posts
4 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Someone told me they, along with Zet's, use steer that were milk producing cows...AAA cattle is raised for the meat and meat alone
I hope you don't take much advice from your "someone" LOL
A steer is a castrated male. :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
Loose4Bruce wrote: I hope you don't take much advice from your "someone" LOL
A steer is a castrated male. :cheesygri
lol, maybe wrong choice of words. point being i heard both zet's and MS sell meat from milk producing cows, is there any feasibility that this is true?

ps - there is a popular burger place downtown montreal called Mr. Steer lol