Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 9, 2018
6 posts
5 upvotes

MasterCard with 3% cash back on bills?

Hey RFDers,

Does anyone know of a MasterCard that pays 3% cash back on recurring bills?

I'm thinking of using something like that to pay a mortgage via Plastiq (assuming the bank would accept it?). But their 2.5% fee is pretty hefty..

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15830 posts
21582 upvotes
Vancouver
Link any Mastercard to Masterpass, and until September 30th, you can use Plastiq to pay a bill with Masterpass, for no fee. I just paid my electric bill with it, no fees. Maximum $250 per transaction, make multiple transactions if need be.

RD thread here: plastiq-no-fee-when-you-use-masterpass-2194090/
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3063 posts
2908 upvotes
Guelph
BishoyR028957 wrote: Hey RFDers,

Does anyone know of a MasterCard that pays 3% cash back on recurring bills?

I'm thinking of using something like that to pay a mortgage via Plastiq (assuming the bank would accept it?). But their 2.5% fee is pretty hefty..

Thanks!
Sadly in Canada no mastercard exists that offers this, the best you can get is a MasterCard that offers 2% overall or on reoccurring bills.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2775 posts
2255 upvotes
Winnipeg
jacnel wrote: Sadly in Canada no mastercard exists that offers this, the best you can get is a MasterCard that offers 2% overall or on reoccurring bills.
Yeah, if he was looking at Visa - there is the TD Cashback Visa with 3% cashback on recurring bills. But that has an annual fee, you can get Tangerine MasterCard with 2% on recurring bills and it's no fee.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
[OP]
Jun 9, 2018
6 posts
5 upvotes
Shawguy wrote: Yeah, if he was looking at Visa - there is the TD Cashback Visa with 3% cashback on recurring bills. But that has an annual fee, you can get Tangerine MasterCard with 2% on recurring bills and it's no fee.
I was thinking that, but after a bit of Googling stumbled on a warning that Plastiq is more restrictive with Visa (eg, no mortgage payments allowed). I do have the Tangerine MC and it's awesome for a no fee card.

Masterpass seems like a good promo, just curious if there's a good long term workaround for after September that doesn't result in a net loss.

Going with 2% cash back - 2.5% fee wouldn't make sense
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2775 posts
2255 upvotes
Winnipeg
BishoyR028957 wrote: I was thinking that, but after a bit of Googling stumbled on a warning that Plastiq is more restrictive with Visa (eg, no mortgage payments allowed). I do have the Tangerine MC and it's awesome for a no fee card.

Masterpass seems like a good promo, just curious if there's a good long term workaround for after September that doesn't result in a net loss.

Going with 2% cash back - 2.5% fee wouldn't make sense
Have you looked at PayTM? No Fees if using a MasterCard
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
[OP]
Jun 9, 2018
6 posts
5 upvotes
Shawguy wrote: Have you looked at PayTM? No Fees if using a MasterCard
Yes! I've signed up, but I think they can only do property taxes and utility bills.

Also not sure how long it will be "free" for, apart from harvesting our personal data.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6276 posts
3031 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Could be missing something, but as far as I know, the only 3% recurring bills card period, AmEx, MC, or Visa, is TD Cashback Infinite. Up until last year, the Best was 2% (various).
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Mike15 wrote: Could be missing something, but as far as I know, the only 3% recurring bills card period, AmEx, MC, or Visa, is TD Cashback Infinite. Up until last year, the Best was 2% (various).
You are missing something...Laurentian. Although it's also visa, they have a couple cards with 3% CB on PAP.

Mind you, TD CBI is a winner for anyone who values their roadside. Also, TD CBI is great for G&G for those who are ok with the 3% back, unless they have other cards that give them more on G&G.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]