Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
MasterCard & WestJet RBC

World Elite&Canadian World MasterCard-Free WiFi

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2020 5:50 pm
Nov 27, 2009
328 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto

World Elite&Canadian World MasterCard-Free WiFi

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
100%
Retailer:
MasterCard & WestJet RBC
Saw this on Flyertalk.

For free Boingo WiFi use the deal URL. That URL says “ All eligible Canadian World Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard cardholders will receive the Boingo Wi-Fi for Mastercard Cardholders benefit.”

For free WestJet in-flight WiFi (who knows when we might next take a flight) you need to register at wifi.mastercard.com

47 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1184 posts
1652 upvotes
Vancouver
I think this works on any Mastercard, not just RBC.
Nov 27, 2009
328 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
Agree. I tried to construct the title to capture the free wifi with Boingo and the free inflight wifi with RBC and WestJet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
This is available on virtually every World and World Elite MasterCards, with some reports saying it works on regular MCs.

Whenever travel starts up again you can expect the boingo hotspots to be as congested as regular free open wifi hotposts. As per usual when using public (closed or opened) wifi you should always do so through a reputable vpn.
Jun 8, 2008
199 posts
35 upvotes
Which airlines use Boingo? Most of the ones I flew use Gogo so this offer is pretty useless
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
redsunsdriver wrote: Which airlines use Boingo? Most of the ones I flew use Gogo so this offer is pretty useless
WestJet
Feb 21, 2010
8 posts
9 upvotes
Just tried it with my Rogers World Elite Mastercard and it worked! Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2962 posts
2338 upvotes
Calgary
I have been using Boingo from my Brim card on WestJet for over a year now. Works well, but don’t expect fast speeds.

I assume now that this has become so widespread, Boingo could eventually change the free plan to exclude in-flight. Just speculation on my part.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
adm3 wrote: Just tried it with my Rogers World Elite Mastercard and it worked! Thanks OP!
Thanks.

Now to meet that $15,000 spend for me without summer camp or daycare fees.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2019 upvotes
Ottawa
so excited to use this on my next flight aka 2022
Mar 14, 2020
91 posts
195 upvotes
Montreal
Worked with my Tangerine World MasterCard! Thanks OP! Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Apr 10, 2020
298 posts
1089 upvotes
redsunsdriver wrote: Which airlines use Boingo? Most of the ones I flew use Gogo so this offer is pretty useless
I'm not sure which airlines use it, but I do know that many airports use Boingo. It's a great way to kill time after waiting at the gate, especially in places where they don't offer free wifi and you need to pay for it.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks OP. Worked with my RBC World Elite cash back card.
Dec 18, 2010
758 posts
887 upvotes
Vancouver
Most flights I have been on use Gogo. The fact that we’re still paying for Wi-Fi on airplanes in 2020 should be a crime. I get that Airlines need every cent but come on.
Jul 27, 2008
162 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
President's Choice MasterCard worked

Thanks op
Apr 29, 2013
332 posts
424 upvotes
Calgary
Sorry I’ve never heard of this company, is this safe to input your credit card??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
elcheapoo wrote: Sorry I’ve never heard of this company, is this safe to input your credit card??
Yes
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1285 posts
1568 upvotes
Kitchener
Nice change, this was previously limited to VERY few Canadian mastercards. Brim being the main one I signed up for , mainly for this service. (And even the basic non-world, no annual fee brim card has had this since inception - couple years now).

I have a bunch of WE cards, Tested BMO, Canadian tire and President's choice, all work. So multiple no annual fee options now (Canadian Tires, PC's and Rogers are all no fee)

Regarding in-flight WiFi - main reason I got it (Brim), since I already had US amex cards with boingo - which specifically excluded in-flight wifi in their terms, while brim does allow it:

2 years ago, it was okay, it worked on most air canada and westjet flights. As it included gogo in flight wifi. These days: It's pretty bad in Canada/US because gogo has ended all partnerships with boingo. No longer works at all on gogo-equipped flights.

And in fact, doesn't work on basically any inflight wifi anymore in NA except panasonic equipped planes.

The annoying part is, neither Air Canada, nor Westjet have any sort of standardization. Most planes have boingo, some have panasonic, some even have other types of in-flight wifi. And theirs almost no way to tell beforehand unless we made a table of ever plane and what equipment they had and you searched per flight it's call sign - lots of work.

I'd say maybe 40-50% of westjet domestic flights still have panasonic, so it's not terrible for them. For there transborder/international, I think they are mostly using either gogo or newer/non panasonic systems that don't work with boingo. I had it work once only out all of my westjet trips to the US - flight to vegas it worked fairly well. Flights to NY, never.
Air canada all newer planes have gogo, so only on really old planes you might get lucky and it still has functional panasonic wifi. Can't guess the percentage since I avoid them, but my brother who flies them all the time says its usually gogo.

In the states, early on I recall united and american all my flights I got it free. These days, united has switched to mostly gogo, and they have their own layer on top/ own subscription, so I think basically none of their flight allow boingo anymore.
One semi recent american airlines flight I was able to use it.

In my travels in asia only the very rare flight would have it. Most of them used either proprietary systems I couldn't tell what hardware it was based on, or T-Mobile's german based service (Deutsche Telekom) which I think is fairly old and widespread, but also not compatible with boingo.

Airport wise, it works pretty great. Helps you avoid those annoying ad-infested personal information stealing login pages at foreign many many foreign airports. Install the passpoint to make it even more seemless.
Last edited by Eleventeen on May 19th, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9450 posts
11816 upvotes
Calgary
elcheapoo wrote: Sorry I’ve never heard of this company, is this safe to input your credit card??
Yes, trust people on a forum you don’t know.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)