Masters program or college

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2017 9:30 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2016
195 posts
53 upvotes

Masters program or college

After graduating university I am planning to leave my job and get more education...
I've heard different opinions on this, some say go do a masters-its only 2 years and could help you land a job in your field. The downside is that its very specific research, and it could limit the type of job you want. I always wonder-hypothetically, lets say I have a masters-then what do I do? Im so worried Ill be stuck in the same position. What do people with Masters degree do afterwards? Are they able to land jobs afterwards? OR are they pretty much forced to do a pHD if not successful?

For college programs you get some good experience maybe with a co-op. But a question I've always had is, are college programs looked down upon in comparison to university degrees? Would it look bad on a resume if I graduated from university then decided to go to college? I understand that some students have decided to take this route. Any body in the same boat? Any good outcomes?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
What would you pursue a master's in because that'll determine a lot of things. The one thing about a Master's is that it will help you stand out amomgst everyone with an undergrad.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2016
195 posts
53 upvotes
Well it would be a masters in science-I am not really sure what field yet. Ideally in a health / biology related field. I can apply to a masters program that is different from my undergraduate thesis right?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
ronnielarmond wrote: Well it would be a masters in science-I am not really sure what field yet. Ideally in a health / biology related field. I can apply to a masters program that is different from my undergraduate thesis right?
Yup you can, as long as you have the pre-reqs for the program you're interested in going into. Is it a course based masters or thesis based one? Most times thesis based ones set you up for a PhD, whereas course ones may be a bit more practical. I have several friends that did a BSc in Bio and then went on to do a Master's in Health Admin. or something of the sort. Point being is that not all graduate programs are thesis/research based.

I'm doing my MA now and it's thesis.
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
959 upvotes
YK
OP, you don't need to quit. Online degrees in science related fields with community placements allow you to work and study simultaneously Plus, your employer may pay part or all of your graduate degree.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2016
195 posts
53 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Yup you can, as long as you have the pre-reqs for the program you're interested in going into. Is it a course based masters or thesis based one? Most times thesis based ones set you up for a PhD, whereas course ones may be a bit more practical. I have several friends that did a BSc in Bio and then went on to do a Master's in Health Admin. or something of the sort. Point being is that not all graduate programs are thesis/research based.

I'm doing my MA now and it's thesis.
May I ask what job are they seeking? Would they be eligible to apply to jobs after their masters? or are they seeking more education afterwards. I guess Im weary of availibilty of jobs after a masters.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2016
195 posts
53 upvotes
I would consider that but since Im working full time I think studying online would be quite tough unless its one course at a time.
Jul 1, 2009
711 posts
133 upvotes
ronnielarmond wrote: May I ask what job are they seeking? Would they be eligible to apply to jobs after their masters? or are they seeking more education afterwards. I guess Im weary of availibilty of jobs after a masters.
I think you aren't quite aware of the different types of Masters programs. There are course-based "professional" masters programs (i.e. a terminal degree used for getting jobs and are NOT eligible for a PhD), and thesis-based research masters programs (i.e. non-terminal degree used either for a job OR advancement towards a PhD).

A Masters degree (either variant) can only open doors. Many people use them to get jobs, and certain jobs pretty much require a Masters degree or better.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
ronnielarmond wrote: May I ask what job are they seeking? Would they be eligible to apply to jobs after their masters? or are they seeking more education afterwards. I guess Im weary of availibilty of jobs after a masters.
Health Admin are looking at getting hospital management jobs, etc. They need a Master's degree for the types of jobs in management they are looking for. Also, just because you do a thesis-based Master's doesn't necessarily mean that you have to go on to do a PhD. Thesis-based degrees can be used for other jobs, not always related to what you studied. Lots of jobs consider graduate degrees as "experience".