Parenting & Family

Mat leave status still "under review" after 3.5 weeks

  • Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 9:06 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 5, 2007
638 posts
91 upvotes

Mat leave status still "under review" after 3.5 weeks

Hi All,
I went on parental leave on April 6, but didn't apply until April 20th. As of today, the status still shows under review. Online help page says to call them if you started Parental leave after March 15 but I've been having a really hard time to get a hold of someone to find out what is happening.
Should I apply for the CERB leave and get it adjusted later? Not sure what options I have at the moment other than waiting.
Any help is appreciated!

Thank you
6 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 1, 2016
710 posts
719 upvotes
Toronto
They are experiencing a high volume of EI applications and most of which are converted to CERB especially if they apply after March 15 due to a loss of a job.
Normal processing time is 28 business days. Not sure about now as the staff are overworked and doing their best. I would try to call EI if you have some financial circumstances. I read an article that the Atlantic EI call centres are open earlier so you can try calling into the EI line at 730am rather than 830am when the lines are supposedly open.

I wouldn't apply for CERB if you already applied for Parental. It's not the issue of being overpaid, it might affect your parental benefits altogether.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 5, 2007
638 posts
91 upvotes
crayola1 wrote: They are experiencing a high volume of EI applications and most of which are converted to CERB especially if they apply after March 15 due to a loss of a job.
Normal processing time is 28 business days. Not sure about now as the staff are overworked and doing their best. I would try to call EI if you have some financial circumstances. I read an article that the Atlantic EI call centres are open earlier so you can try calling into the EI line at 730am rather than 830am when the lines are supposedly open.

I wouldn't apply for CERB if you already applied for Parental. It's not the issue of being overpaid, it might affect your parental benefits altogether.
Thank you, i'll give this a shot!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 27, 2007
2928 posts
70 upvotes
My wife wrote to the MPP office, as her EI application took a long time. The local office helped her out quite a bit. Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
6283 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
samm wrote: My wife wrote to the MPP office, as her EI application took a long time. The local office helped her out quite a bit. Good luck!
Did she write in mail or by email?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 27, 2007
2928 posts
70 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Did she write in mail or by email?
She first called, but the message on the phone was to email instead. They had her fill in a form (consent?) before looking into it.
Newbie
Apr 5, 2017
70 posts
140 upvotes
drunag wrote: Hi All,
I went on parental leave on April 6, but didn't apply until April 20th. As of today, the status still shows under review. Online help page says to call them if you started Parental leave after March 15 but I've been having a really hard time to get a hold of someone to find out what is happening.
Should I apply for the CERB leave and get it adjusted later? Not sure what options I have at the moment other than waiting.
Any help is appreciated!

Thank you
My wife is in the same boat as you. She applied on the 30th of April and the application is still "under review". She will hit her 28 day mark on Wednesday. A friend of ours applied on March 23 and received her first payment on April 8. So not quite sure what is happening here. I guess they are overwhelmed and we just need to be a little patient.

Top