• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2017 6:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
729 posts
42 upvotes
edmonton

material for kitchen backsplash

hi , procelain, glass and marble, in term of maintanence and durability, which material is good for kitchen ?

Thanks
TC
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7499 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Marble for a back splash?

Don't use marble, it is porous

Never seen glass either, I think it would be heavy to mount and can easily break.

Porcelain is the obvious choice.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13633 posts
2394 upvotes
City of Vancouver
porcelain
De gustibus non est disputandum
Feb 16, 2014
360 posts
269 upvotes
I've got subway style glass backsplash in my kitchen. it's definitely not porcelain as I dropped one and glass shards everywhere
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13633 posts
2394 upvotes
City of Vancouver
porcelain has a glass glaze, btw
De gustibus non est disputandum
Feb 16, 2014
360 posts
269 upvotes
it's definitely clear glass with a colour backing. it looks like coke bottle glass. the tiler said the glass tiles were hardest to cut.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16949 posts
1789 upvotes
Thornhill
b33zlebub wrote: it's definitely clear glass with a colour backing. it looks like coke bottle glass. the tiler said the glass tiles were hardest to cut.
You can do it with a glass cutting diamond wheel on a wet saw. Without it, you end up with chips and shards all over the place. Was too lazy to change the blade once and ended up with tiny cuts all over my fingers.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6800 posts
3897 upvotes
Aurora
t3359 wrote: You can do it with a glass cutting diamond wheel on a wet saw. Without it, you end up with chips and shards all over the place. Was too lazy to change the blade once and ended up with tiny cuts all over my fingers.

bjl
I put up our backsplash using these lowes tiles as well. They wern't too dificult to cut. I used a cheap wet tile saw from CT and wrapped painters tape on the glass where I intended to cut. Glass shards were minimal.