• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2021 5:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2212 posts
1664 upvotes

Maternity Leave - EI and CERB

So now that they're streamlining CERB with EI because of COVID-19, how will this work for maternity leave benefits? The amount that you can potentially get under EI is higher than the CERB and from reading the government website it seems like you will be capped at the lower amount under the CERB ($2000) even if you qualify for more under EI, even though you "retain your eligibility to receive for Employment Insurance after you stop receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, and the period that you received the CERB does not impact your EI entitlement." (Link below)

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... virus-cerb

This doesn't seem really clear. Has this been thought out? I'm asking cause my wife is going on maternity leave soon so it will directly impact me.
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9614 posts
2018 upvotes
Edmonton
moofur wrote: So now that they're streamlining CERB with EI because of COVID-19, how will this work for maternity leave benefits? The amount that you can potentially get under EI is higher than the CERB and from reading the government website it seems like you will be capped at the lower amount under the CERB ($2000) even if you qualify for more under EI, even though you "retain your eligibility to receive for Employment Insurance after you stop receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, and the period that you received the CERB does not impact your EI entitlement." (Link below)

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... virus-cerb

This doesn't seem really clear. Has this been thought out? I'm asking cause my wife is going on maternity leave soon so it will directly impact me.
She's not stopping work due to COVID-19, her claim should be processed like a normal maternity claim.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2212 posts
1664 upvotes
clseea wrote: She's not stopping work due to COVID-19, her claim should be processed like a normal maternity claim.
Thanks for the response. The problem is that I think the maternity benefit is usually processed under EI no? And EI is now streamlined with the CERB.

To be honest though this would apply to anyone who qualifies for more under EI than the CERB. The way I read it is that people who fall under this bucket will get the (lower) CERB amount for 16 weeks and then will get back pay for the higher EI amount after the CERB benefit expires after the 16 weeks, but it's not very clear.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2323 posts
18759 upvotes
If I am on special benefits such as maternity/parental am I eligible to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?

It is expected that you will return to work when you are finished collecting maternity/parental or other special benefits under the Employment Insurance Program.

If work is not available as a result of reasons related to COVID-19 upon conclusion of your maternity/parental leave, you may be eligible to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... ation.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2212 posts
1664 upvotes
Pardon wrote: If I am on special benefits such as maternity/parental am I eligible to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?

It is expected that you will return to work when you are finished collecting maternity/parental or other special benefits under the Employment Insurance Program.

If work is not available as a result of reasons related to COVID-19 upon conclusion of your maternity/parental leave, you may be eligible to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... ation.html
If there's no work after your EI/parental leave then I think you qualify for the CERB.

My question is geared towards how applying for Maternity leave benefits will work now since all EI claims are now funneled to the CERB and the cap is lower. I think the answer will be the same for those individuals who lose their jobs and will qualify for a higher benefit under EI than CERB.

I think the government is trying to say that they will be retro paid after the CERB period (16 weeks) but it's not very clear. It also means that people who qualify for more money under EI will lose just under $500 a month for around 4 months until they get retro paid.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9614 posts
2018 upvotes
Edmonton
moofur wrote: Thanks for the response. The problem is that I think the maternity benefit is usually processed under EI no? And EI is now streamlined with the CERB.

To be honest though this would apply to anyone who qualifies for more under EI than the CERB. The way I read it is that people who fall under this bucket will get the (lower) CERB amount for 16 weeks and then will get back pay for the higher EI amount after the CERB benefit expires after the 16 weeks, but it's not very clear.
The systems talk but need to have manual intervention. Regular and sick benefits go through CERB. She should be applying for maternity benefits through the EI system when the time comes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2212 posts
1664 upvotes
clseea wrote: The systems talk but need to have manual intervention. Regular and sick benefits go through CERB. She should be applying for maternity benefits through the EI system when the time comes.
I know I sound like a broken record but isn't it just ONE portal after April 6, meaning you can no longer apply for EI? That's what it says on the government website.

I know that perhaps no one knows for certain right now so I appreciate the responses.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9614 posts
2018 upvotes
Edmonton
moofur wrote: I know I sound like a broken record but isn't it just ONE portal after April 6, meaning you can no longer apply for EI? That's what it says on the government website.

I know that perhaps no one knows for certain right now so I appreciate the responses.
No.
Apr 7, 2017
244 posts
170 upvotes
Brantford
My parental benefits are ending May 4 after which I have to take care of kid due to closures of day care programs
Do I have to apply for EI or the CERB thereafter
Feb 15, 2018
333 posts
406 upvotes
Bettercallsoul wrote: My parental benefits are ending May 4 after which I have to take care of kid due to closures of day care programs
Do I have to apply for EI or the CERB thereafter
If you have already exhausted your E.I. benefits, you will not get any E.I. if you apply. So, it is CERB you will be getting. You can only get E.I. ounce you have earned the minimum required insurable hours.
Apr 8, 2020
1 posts
My case is the opposite.
I am pregnant and will need to use the EI for maternity leave starting in August.
Am I able to use the CERB for the months prior to August without affecting my eligibility for the Mat Leave EI?
Apr 9, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
I am in the same situation as you, luckily i have enough hours for when I apply for maternity leave in August but from now until then I cannot work due to having to stay with my daughter at home since her daycare closed dye to Covid-19. So its too early to apply for maternity for both of us, however after all research I did, we can apply for CERB and then later appy for EI maternity and this should not affect our eligibility.The government’s website says that you “retain your eligibility to receive for Employment Insurance after you stop receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, and the period that you received the CERB does not impact your EI entitlement.” I hope this is accurate I'd be upset to miss out on maternity leave.
Apr 9, 2020
2 posts
This comment was very helpful, as I am expecting to take leave in October, have been temporarily laid off for up to 13wks, and assuming I don’t return to work until 13wks from now and choose to go on EI during that time, I will not have enough time to clock the 600hrs required to take full maternity leave. I’ve been trying to get through to Service Canada all morning to ask if CERB will affect my maternity leave. Do you mind if I ask where precisely you found your information? Direct link? Thanks.
Apr 9, 2020
2 posts
Hi @[Laila999] are you able to share the link to where you found that statement? I’m having a difficult time getting though to Service Canada to verify — maternity leave in October, was just temporarily laid off and debating between CERB and EI. Thanks!
Apr 9, 2020
1 posts
Hey guys, my partner and I just had twins on March 11 and I signed up for parental leave I think around the 16th, I’m doing 8 weeks of parental leave but never got a confirmation letter of how much I was going to get weekly, I finally got through to service Canada and the guy on the phone said my parental leave was switched automatically to CERB, he put me on hold and hung up and I haven’t been able to get through again
Jun 6, 2014
242 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I believe that the comments about CERB not affecting EI relates to people claiming regular EI. Because EI can be paid up to a maximum of 45 weeks. Whereas the CERB is only available for 16 weeks. If you are eligible for the maximum EI, you would get 16 weeks of CERB and then if you still don't have work, you go back to regular EI.

In cases for upcoming Maternity EIs, I suggest you guys call Service Canada later on to confirm your eligibility, because they are really busy with current claims. But at face value, I feel you will still need the 600 hours at the time to qualify.

To the OP, you can still apply for Maternity EI seperately, there is still the option available.
Apr 10, 2020
1 posts
I’m in the same boat- pregnant and laid off because of covid, wondering if applying for CERB will impact my entitlement to maternity benefits in August. Both my husband and I emailed our mp and haven’t heard anything yet, and I haven’t been able to get through on the phone to the cra to ask. Has anybody heard any updates on this?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3170 posts
171 upvotes
East York
If I am on special benefits such as maternity/parental am I eligible to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?

If there is no work available when you finish collecting maternity/parental benefits, you would be considered to have stopped working due to COVID-19. If you meet the other eligibility requirements you may receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... tions.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2212 posts
1664 upvotes
DiegoS16573 wrote: Hey guys, my partner and I just had twins on March 11 and I signed up for parental leave I think around the 16th, I’m doing 8 weeks of parental leave but never got a confirmation letter of how much I was going to get weekly, I finally got through to service Canada and the guy on the phone said my parental leave was switched automatically to CERB, he put me on hold and hung up and I haven’t been able to get through again
This is what I was afraid of. I'm going to be on paternity leave as well and I would qualify for more under EI than I would under the CERB.
Apr 15, 2020
2 posts
My wife is currently on maternity leave and receives EI but it’s less than 1000$ / month. Would she be eligible for CERB due to new rules.. And help will be appreciated Thanks