• Apr 20th, 2020 5:02 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
182 posts
59 upvotes
ontario

Maternity Leave - Ontario

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child in the fall. She is a nurse currently working part-time in long term care for a private company (i.e. no top-ups). Over the last 52 weeks she has transitioned from casual to part-time and back to casual.
Her income has not been the same every week. There are weeks where she made about 900 to 1000/ week and others where she made nothing. Her annual income for 2019 was about 29k.

My understanding is that maternity leave (and parental leave) considers your best 14 to 22 weeks depending on unemployment rates. Considering unemployment was low in 2019 im expecting them to look at 22 weeks. Do you think there is any consideration here, can i reduce this somehow? Also, if i were to calculate her best 22 weeks with supporting documentation from pay stubs, would EI consider it? or will they just go based on her annual income?

Do you have any tips on how I can make the most of this work arrangement? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35550 posts
21614 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not much you can do, as it based on income and total hours.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
182 posts
59 upvotes
ontario
Considering she is casual / part time, will the employer give a per week calculation on the ROE, or is that something I have to do manually?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1600 posts
853 upvotes
congrats.

if you are able to get through the Service Canada line, they would be able to give your partner some rough calculations or advise specially what might be expected with different scenarios. They will also provide options to the benefits, ie sharing the weeks with you and what that would look like, etc. so you can have some informed decision to financially plan. I think speaking to them would be worth waiting for..

and just a reminder, when your partner is eligible, EI can be done online now and the copy ROE(s) gets submitted by the employer directly to EI.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35550 posts
21614 upvotes
Center of Universe
tribute4 wrote: Considering she is casual / part time, will the employer give a per week calculation on the ROE, or is that something I have to do manually?
You don't need to fill anything in.

Jul 1, 2015
72 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tribute4 wrote: Hello,

My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child in the fall. She is a nurse currently working part-time in long term care for a private company (i.e. no top-ups). Over the last 52 weeks she has transitioned from casual to part-time and back to casual.
Her income has not been the same every week. There are weeks where she made about 900 to 1000/ week and others where she made nothing. Her annual income for 2019 was about 29k.

My understanding is that maternity leave (and parental leave) considers your best 14 to 22 weeks depending on unemployment rates. Considering unemployment was low in 2019 im expecting them to look at 22 weeks. Do you think there is any consideration here, can i reduce this somehow? Also, if i were to calculate her best 22 weeks with supporting documentation from pay stubs, would EI consider it? or will they just go based on her annual income?

Do you have any tips on how I can make the most of this work arrangement? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
I believe that the calculation will be based on the unemployment rate at the time of application. Yes, you should have the details on hand and a weekly breakdown of her earnings (even if she is paid biweekly break the actual earnings down to a weekly Sunday to Saturday calculation) there will be a question on the application about varying hours. The benefit rate will be based on the best weeks number of weeks based on the unemployment rate - I don't know offhand what it is but you should be able to find the information online.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
182 posts
59 upvotes
ontario
Thank you all for your replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8814 posts
2528 upvotes
Toronto
tribute4 wrote: Hello,

I'm curious how EI will work for us too.

Me and my wife had our first child in Feb 2019. She was on mat leave until March 2020. Her office shut down due to covid. And now we've got our 2nd baby coming in October. She may not have her 500 hours banked by October, depending on when this thing ends.

I wonder how the government handles this?

Not complaining either way....we're pretty comfortable. Just curious how EI will treat this given Covid-19. Guess nobody knows for sure.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
182 posts
59 upvotes
ontario
For casual and part time employees, if the ROE is reported biweekly will they still use the best 7 to 11 entries? (14 to 22 weeks respectively)?

I don't want them to use the total annual because it'll be a lot less. In my case my girlfriend has some very good weeks (better than mine!)
Sep 12, 2012
765 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: I'm curious how EI will work for us too.

Me and my wife had our first child in Feb 2019. She was on mat leave until March 2020. Her office shut down due to covid. And now we've got our 2nd baby coming in October. She may not have her 500 hours banked by October, depending on when this thing ends.

I wonder how the government handles this?

Not complaining either way....we're pretty comfortable. Just curious how EI will treat this given Covid-19. Guess nobody knows for sure.
I am very curious about this as well......

My wife was laid off due to the Coronavirus and had to apply for EI. We are expecting our baby in August but because my wife is currently on EI due to being forced to stop working, how will the government handle maternity EI when our baby is born because she won't be able to re-accumulate the 600 hours required to qualify for maternity pay. If she wasn't forced to stop working then she would have the 600 hours required to qualify for maternity EI.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
182 posts
59 upvotes
ontario
hamandcheese wrote: I am very curious about this as well......

My wife was laid off due to the Coronavirus and had to apply for EI. We are expecting our baby in August but because my wife is currently on EI due to being forced to stop working, how will the government handle maternity EI when our baby is born because she won't be able to re-accumulate the 600 hours required to qualify for maternity pay. If she wasn't forced to stop working then she would have the 600 hours required to qualify for maternity EI.

Does she have 600 hours in the 52 weeks leading up to the earliest maternity leave date? My baby is due late august / sept too :)
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
182 posts
59 upvotes
ontario
Assuming we cant get weekly information will EI use bi-weekly information and divide by 2 for us?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8814 posts
2528 upvotes
Toronto
tribute4 wrote: Does she have 600 hours in the 52 weeks leading up to the earliest maternity leave date? My baby is due late august / sept too :)
Congrats!
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8814 posts
2528 upvotes
Toronto
hamandcheese wrote: I am very curious about this as well......

Congrats!

Her employer applied to CEWS (the 75% wage subsidy). I hope she qualifies for that, even though she didn't work this year.

They take EI off pay for the CEWS, so I am assuming those hours count. I mean how can you deduct EI and not count it towards the 600 hours?
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8814 posts
2528 upvotes
Toronto
They have to figure out how they are going to handle mat leaves.

Let's be honest, we will have a new set of boomers with this Coronavirus (Coronakids let's call them?). They have to figure that out.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)