None
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
45 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa

Maternity leave - self employed

Hi,

I recently started a business in Ontario and my fiancee is on the payroll. She has been on the payroll for 3 months, we just found out she is pregnant. Will she be able to collect maternity leave?

I haven't been paying myself a salary as I've been keeping the money in the business.

As an "employer", can she collect mat leave and who is responsible for paying this. The company or does the Ontario government kick some money in?

Thanks in advance and I'm very excited :)
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2015
1108 posts
214 upvotes
ottcanada11 wrote: Hi,

I recently started a business in Ontario and my fiancee is on the payroll. She has been on the payroll for 3 months, we just found out she is pregnant. Will she be able to collect maternity leave?

I haven't been paying myself a salary as I've been keeping the money in the business.

As an "employer", can she collect mat leave and who is responsible for paying this. The company or does the Ontario government kick some money in?

If you are a registered business actually making contributions (her share + employer share) to EI(employment insurance)., she would be able to collect both maternity and parental leave. 9 months, I think, through the employment insurance. I forget how many weeks of employment she needs to qualify. 24 sticks in my memory.

Congratulations. Kids changed my life in a very positive way. Hoping for the same for you!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1024 posts
104 upvotes
Maple
I think she needs to have worked 600 hours.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
ottcanada11 wrote: Hi,

Have you been deducting EI payments off her pay?
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
45 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Perfect...thanks for these links. My questions are answered with these.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)