Home & Garden

Mattamy Homes Review/Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2022 8:40 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Would you buy a Mattamy Home?

• Total votes: 160. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

33%
No

68%
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Milton Mattamy doors and windows are terrible. I can't believe the calls I get for houses 1-4 years old there.
Dec 4, 2009
837 posts
875 upvotes
Flamborough
You guys are completely forgetting about the demand for homes is at an all time high. If you don't want that brand new Mattamy house, there's a hundred people just like you lined up to take your place.

If you thought that you'd be getting a Diamond in the piece work world of cookie cutter homes, you're grossly mistaken. Every cut corner is profit for each level of the trades and sub trades. Everyone is skimming and everyone knows the game. There isn't nearly enough inspectors to check the work done.

If you want a quality build, you're going to have to look outside the GTA for a builder who will entertain a slower market and can offer you more attention.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Todd96srv wrote: You guys are completely forgetting about the demand for homes is at an all time high. If you don't want that brand new Mattamy house, there's a hundred people just like you lined up to take your place.
Your conduct when times are good in business will make or break you when times become harder. All markets downturn eventually.
Dec 5, 2016
274 posts
56 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Not sure what inspectors you're talking about but each municipality has a very clear definition of what is required for a house to be fit for occupancy.
Faemow wrote:
I figured, and I said the exact same thing to my friend... But the video reflects what Markham deems occupancy.
Drthorne wrote: Mattamy homeowners furious with builder

http://globalnews.ca/news/3500224/matta ... h-builder/
This video at 02:34 says City of Hamilton denied the occupancy permit but Mattamy moved people in anyway. Can anyone explain how is this possible??
Jul 12, 2017
5 posts
I just purchased a new home from mattamy in aurora ontario.
It's a complete nightmare. i am having all the same problems as everyone else.
Mattamy knows how to play the game and gets away with it.
Has anyone figured out what can be done to punish mattamy for their behavior?
Jul 20, 2017
1 posts
Very bad service to say the least. I bought a home last year from Mattamy in the Preserve in Oakville. Once you entered the Warranty period and you need to have inspections and get unfinished works completed, you see totally different thing. Service people are ignorant, do not want to work, and are not ready even to return your calls or emails. For example, it took Mattamy almost a year to change out a broken exhaust cover that was reported even on the PDI day before closure. Everytime you call them they send a tech and you have to go through the whole thing because the tech has no clue what is going on. Also, most of their techs are frustrated with their supervisors because they send one tech to paint, fix doors, floors, plumbing, etc... that is why things are not fixed properly and it take them ages to complete them.

My advise if you have a house from mattamy, Schedule Tarion inspection and let them contact Mattamy. Otherwise their warranty team will never finish.

Bad service Bad company really. I do not recommend anyone to buy from them
Jul 27, 2017
10 posts
4 upvotes
Seriously? Mattamy homes is so bad it's almost criminal. Stay away!
Oct 30, 2017
250 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
I am a owner of a Mattamy home for about four years now. The unfinished basement have been having a water lacking problem since the beginning. I have contacted Mattamy to have this issue fixed, but each time, Mattamy didn't actually fix the issue. The problem keeps coming back and yesterday, Oct 30, after the heavy rain fall, the basement was having a large water lacking problem. I have contacted Tarion. Mattamy was such a bad company for customer service, and they don't have any skilled contractors.
thank you very much
Philip Kwok, CPA, CGA
Mar 12, 2018
1 posts
Horrible ppl in neighborhood Mattamy homes..hard to find good homes..very close you hear parties wee hours..if you want quiet pick houses in older areas .
Apr 19, 2018
1 posts
bad building quality,worst customer services,many items were broken since day one, after 15 months, still haven't fixed yet, no response at all,can't do anything right , will never buy a home from Mattamy again, and won't recommend it to anyone i know.
Mar 3, 2011
1 posts
Toronto
I recently closed a Mattamy townhouse after 19 MONTHS occupancy period, on top of that, the builder revised the closing price statement on the closing day by removing the delayed closing compensation that they promised 19 months ago.
Since Tarion started on occupancy date, now the delayed closing compensation claim period is over because Mattamy delayed over and over again!
This dishonest and immoral company should not get any business!
Sep 18, 2018
1 posts
I d not advise buying a mattamy home
1. Poor materials
2. Amateur craftsmanship
3. Very bad customer care

I don.t know the city allows such Building s

4. Noisy neighbour hood due to construction related activities even after 5 months of occupancy!

5. This is funny they even moved the stop sign to left as it was inconvenient for their work!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
No idea on why people still keep buying Mattamy homes when the word is out there (?)

To me it's like playing with fire. Biggest purchase of anyone's lives yet people continue to buy their homes. I remember house hunting last yr and it was a Mattamy neighborhood. One of the houses had the front door open to the stairs. You literally had no space and the door was 1-2inches away from hitting the first step.
Mar 23, 2008
861 posts
233 upvotes
Scarborough

This isn't my video.. But I have purchased a Mattamy house closing in 2019. I have so much anxiety watching and reading these kind of videos..
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
01s0uljah wrote:

This isn't my video.. But I have purchased a Mattamy house closing in 2019. I have so much anxiety watching and reading these kind of videos..
Started watching the video thinking it wouldn’t be so bad, home owner probably has high unrealistic expectations. Oh boy was I wrong, that entire house is sloppy, mine was dirty and needed paint touch ups but nothing compared to that house.
Mar 23, 2008
861 posts
233 upvotes
Scarborough
JonSnow wrote: Started watching the video thinking it wouldn’t be so bad, home owner probably has high unrealistic expectations. Oh boy was I wrong, that entire house is sloppy, mine was dirty and needed paint touch ups but nothing compared to that house.
Did you purchase a Mattamy home as well?
Mar 23, 2008
861 posts
233 upvotes
Scarborough
I've tried giving Mattamy benefit of the doubt believing that what everyone says online is just a bad review out of the thousands of homes they build. But there's pretty much nothing I can do now but pray and hope I don't get a shitty home....
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
An acquaintance of mine was a contractor for them, lol, the stories he would tell. He ended up getting a full time job elsewhere pay/work was that bad.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke