• May 15th, 2019 11:06 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west

Mattress issues

This post is for my wife more than me. Talking about mattresses.

My wife has always had back issues, getting hit by a car when she was a kid, its something that has plagued her for decades. As well we are both getting older, closing onto the 50 mark

Over the years, we have always said a good mattress is a thing to have. Which we have done, the problem is, what she tries for awhile it seems to be ok, after a few months, its not what she thinks it is

We have bought a $4000 mattress from Sleep country, which she thought was great, but then waking up with a sore back, or pinched nerves. This is all dealing with pressure points. So great,w e go mattress shopping again, my son gets a hand me down 4K mattress

This time went and got a ISealy I think it was. Not 100% temperpedic foam, but at least this time it wasnt as much, $1800. After a few months, same thing, waking up sore, pressure points, etc

Ok, lets try a adjustable bed frame, works for awhile, now same thing

I myself can sleep on a board. And when she tests these mattress its not a five minute thing. She will lay on them for at least an hour. The adjustable bed frame she noticed a differnce right away, and actually fell asleep in the show room

While I want her to be comfortable, throwing money away so to speak isnt really working for me.

She wants to try an 100% temperpedic, but the cost is huge, and as well, what if it doesnt work. If it doesnt, no idea, next would be a cloud maybe, not sure

What brands or places are you allowed to buy and return. As in a sleep warrantt Not store credit crap, but actually get your money back. Casper, Endy, etc

Im not talking years, but it always seems by the time she realizes its not what it seems, the time is lapsed

Any help would be appreciated
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8674 posts
1619 upvotes
She might need a craftmatic type adjustable bed such as this,

Not cheap and there are other manufacturers as well. I believe Sleep Country may have one in their showroom to try. Wallet alert, these things weren't cheap back in the day.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1167 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
Has she gone to a doctor to get a diagnosis on the back pain? If multiple beds aren't working out for her it may be there is something wrong with her back, and getting a doctor and/or a physio to look at it would help more than just buying a new mattress every few months.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
Frankie3s wrote: She might need a craftmatic type adjustable bed such as this,

Not cheap and there are other manufacturers as well. I believe Sleep Country may have one in their showroom to try. Wallet alert, these things weren't cheap back in the day.
Already have an adjustable base
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
someone16 wrote: Has she gone to a doctor to get a diagnosis on the back pain? If multiple beds aren't working out for her it may be there is something wrong with her back, and getting a doctor and/or a physio to look at it would help more than just buying a new mattress every few months.
Yes she has gone, its body damage. She does excercises for it, and then there are pressure points as well to deal with. Maybe there is no solution to it, who knows
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13765 posts
8804 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Try Endy, Casper.you get $$ back if not satisfied within 100-120 days.
Free pickup
Full Refund

Good luck!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Try Endy, Casper.you get $$ back if not satisfied within 100-120 days.
Free pickup
Full Refund

Good luck!
REally, free pickup as well. Might have to look into that
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13765 posts
8804 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yeah, I've asked them on facebook.
WikkiWikki wrote: REally, free pickup as well. Might have to look into that

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Yeah, I've asked them on facebook.
Endy is defintly cheaper cost of the two. I asked Endy chat, and no loopholes they say with the 100 day gaurantee
Nov 20, 2013
184 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Endy owner here. We both like it, me and my wife. I've only slept for few nights cos she sleeps with our toddler now. I've tried IKEA foam and pocket spring, both sucked. Currently sleeping on single Aveline memory foam from Wayfair, also not too happy, although difficult to say specifically... So, Endy has highest rating in our family)) Also note, that we both are smaller folks, around 120lbs (55 kg).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Public Mobile customer, as well as Vancity, Novus, Modo, Evo and Endy mattress :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16643 posts
6897 upvotes
Costco is probably your best bet. No hassles whatsoever.

Sears used to have a 365 day guarantee, Ikea still does I believe (365 days). Otherwise I think Sleep Country is the longest at 100 days.
Feb 10, 2011
4 posts
I went to the Casper store at Sherway. The only difference between the TSC mattress and the mattresses they are selling in store (and on their website) is the depth. They are basically clearing out the inventory of 10 inch depth mattresses through TSC and HBC as their new release is 12 inches (the hybrid) and from a simplicity perspective/display want them all the same depth. He says the 2 inch difference comes from the foam at the bottom of the mattress and does not impact performance. Same experience on the 10 vs 12 inch. If you got 20% off the showstopper price you scored. Queen ended up at $760 vs $ 1375 before tax (price of 12 inch).
Oct 22, 2016
630 posts
537 upvotes
Comox Valley
I used Costco, brought one, $1,000 I think it was. Felt it was to hard, and took it back. No problem.
Although I did feel bad in returning it to them.
If you live close to the border, check out the USA options.
I hope you wife finds a good one. It sucks not having a good sleep
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5374 posts
2464 upvotes
gulfstream
WikkiWikki wrote: This post is for my wife more than me. Talking about mattresses.

My wife has always had back issues, getting hit by a car when she was a kid, its something that has plagued her for decades. As well we are both getting older, closing onto the 50 mark

Over the years, we have always said a good mattress is a thing to have. Which we have done, the problem is, what she tries for awhile it seems to be ok, after a few months, its not what she thinks it is

We have bought a $4000 mattress from Sleep country, which she thought was great, but then waking up with a sore back, or pinched nerves. This is all dealing with pressure points. So great,w e go mattress shopping again, my son gets a hand me down 4K mattress

This time went and got a ISealy I think it was. Not 100% temperpedic foam, but at least this time it wasnt as much, $1800. After a few months, same thing, waking up sore, pressure points, etc

I myself can sleep on a board. And when she tests these mattress its not a five minute thing. She will lay on them for at least an hour. The adjustable bed frame she noticed a differnce right away, and actually fell asleep in the show room

While I want her to be comfortable, throwing money away so to speak isnt really working for me.

She wants to try an 100% temperpedic, but the cost is huge, and as well, what if it doesnt work. If it doesnt, no idea, next would be a cloud maybe, not sure

What brands or places are you allowed to buy and return. As in a sleep warrantt Not store credit crap, but actually get your money back. Casper, Endy, etc

Im not talking years, but it always seems by the time she realizes its not what it seems, the time is lapsed

4k for a mattress...THERE IS NO MATTRESS WORTH 4K..
i met mattress store owners years ago...they told me the whole scam about mattress's...they said NEVER pay more than about $1000...as that is the very top end of the value and worth chart...everything else is just a cash grab/scam...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
cardguy wrote: 4k for a mattress...THERE IS NO MATTRESS WORTH 4K..
i met mattress store owners years ago...they told me the whole scam about mattress's...they said NEVER pay more than about $1000...as that is the very top end of the value and worth chart...everything else is just a cash grab/scam...
Is what it is. Does it make you feel superior that this happened.

Find me a tempeepedic Mattress for $1000 as well
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15444 posts
12647 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cardguy wrote: 4k for a mattress...THERE IS NO MATTRESS WORTH 4K..
I will give you this...

$ 4000 is a lot of money

BUT, a lot of it comes down to what a good nights sleep is worth to you ?

For some folks with health issues ... no price is too much to pay.

They’d give anything for that ... and it does sound like for the OP and their injured spouse... that is all they truly want

As not getting a good nights sleep, effects the rest of your life / time awake and quality of life greatly

Afterall, one spends about 1/3 of your day at rest / sleeping ... so a lot of our lifetime

Certainly a lot more over the course of it than we do driving in a car... and yet, we think nothing of spending tens of thousands on a vehicle for looks & comfort, when just the basics will just as effectively get one from Point A to Point B

I agree though, the likes of these Specialty Mattress Retailers (ala Sleep Country) are more sketchy in regards to their dealings with Customers than many others who also sell mattresses

I definitely wouldn’t spend my money at one of those stores.

Side note ... this is one of the areas where Sears knocked it out of the park (Mattresses, Furniture & Appliances) ... sadly they are no more
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
PointsHubby wrote: I will give you this...

$ 4000 is a lot of money

BUT, a lot of it comes down to what a good nights sleep is worth to you ?

For some folks with health issues ... no price is too much to pay.

They’d give anything for that ... and it does sound like for the OP and their injured spouse... that is all they truly want

As not getting a good nights sleep, effects the rest of your life / time awake and quality of life greatly

Afterall, one spends about 1/3 of your day at rest / sleeping ... so a lot of our lifetime

Certainly a lot more over the course of it than we do driving in a car... and yet, we think nothing of spending tens of thousands on a vehicle for looks & comfort, when just the basics will just as effectively get one from Point A to Point B

I agree though, the likes of these Specialty Mattress Retailers (ala Sleep Country) are more sketchy in regards to their dealings with Customers than many others who also sell mattresses

I definitely wouldn’t spend my money at one of those stores.

Side note ... this is one of the areas where Sears knocked it out of the park (Mattresses, Furniture & Appliances) ... sadly they are no more
For now we switched back to our "$4000" mattress and our son has our other one, just to see if it helps her or not

I mentioned the Costco one right now for $899 as well, and then of course the Endy one to with the 100 day trial

See how this works with the adjustable bed frame and go from there

As for cardguys post, thats his opinion, not fact. And still waiting for the $1000 Temperpedic mattress sale he can find me
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5833 posts
2198 upvotes
GTEH!
WikkiWikki wrote: This post is for my wife more than me. Talking about mattresses.

Which Brand was the $4K mattress?

Sorry to hear about your Spouse's back issues and finding the right mattress to get a good night's sleep.
I know what she's going through because I had back issues also and finding the right mattress was an adventure. I got past my back issues by finding an excellent Physiotherapist (and that's not easy).

My suggestion about mattress: Have you tried other Mattress places? All mattress Brands?

Unfortunately, if your Spouses' back issue is related to the disc or nerves in the spine, no mattress will be comfortable for her to get a good night sleep. Sorry to say this.
😎
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18790 posts
2421 upvotes
Out west
Webhead wrote: Which Brand was the $4K mattress?

Sorry to hear about your Spouse's back issues and finding the right mattress to get a good night's sleep.
I know what she's going through because I had back issues also and finding the right mattress was an adventure. I got past my back issues by finding an excellent Physiotherapist (and that's not easy).

My suggestion about mattress: Have you tried other Mattress places? All mattress Brands?

Unfortunately, if your Spouses' back issue is related to the disc or nerves in the spine, no mattress will be comfortable for her to get a good night sleep. Sorry to say this.
Ill be honest I dont remember, Id have to go home and look

We have tried as many mattress places we can, from actual matress stores to places like the Bay and even Ashley Furniture. All mattress brands, not sure, I know we have never tested an Endy or a Casper

She goes to chiro and massage and acupuncture. She takes very good care of yourself, but if the body is damaged its damaged

For now we are going back to our "4K" mattress to see if the extra support over all foam helps. If not then it might be a temperpedic. We slept on one a few nights at a friends house, an actual 100% temperpedic, and she said it was the best sleep for a very long time.

But then we looked at the price, and this was after we bought our other mattress. And no where we found is there the sleep guarantee for them, or if there is, then you get store credit. Sorry for that amount of money, I want my money back