• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2021 9:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6717 posts
1227 upvotes

Mattress shopping suggestions?

It's time to replace my guest bedroom and master bedroom mattresses. Bought Endy to try out for guest bedroom but it's way too soft and giving us back pain. Went to Sleep Country yesterday to try out some coil mattresses. Any good recommendation where to find good deal on mattresses? Given the Endy experience, we definitely want to try before buying. It's causing a lot of regret as I heard they now throw away the return mattress intead of donating it.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17797 posts
15248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Mattresses are as you have discovered all about personal preferences

There are literally dozens of Mattress threads here in the HOME & GARDEN FORUM

Suggest you just use the SEARCH THIS FORUM feature at the top of the directory to find some

home-garden-f53/

They are full of great advice whether you are looking for a traditional pocket coil, foam, or a bed in a box type mattress

But to get you started …

Sleep Country and other such mattress chains are a good place to go look … maybe see & try a lot of brands under one roof

But not necessarily the best place to buy … they tend to be terribly overpriced (hence why they can afford to pitch out a returned mattress … vs recycle it )

Likewise, stay away from The Brick. Again you can read RFD threads on them … or GOOGLE to see all the complaints and court cases etc

Costco, The Bay, and Mom & Pop Furniture Stores … May be your best bet for Price, Sales & Service

Costco has limited lines … but it’s Costco & their Return / Warranty Policy … so pretty much the bomb vs elsewhere

Whoever you find yourself considering … do post again before you shell out any money for feedback … or do a GOOGLE to see what’s what on how they are to deal with
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9535 posts
2153 upvotes
Somewhere
Something less known is that you can negotiate prices at Sleep Country.

I recently (within past 2 months) went to Sleep Country and bought a Sealy Posturepedic. The price shown was $1,500.

I ask the salesperson if he can work a discount, and he offered $1,250 "for that day only".

Then I said, okay, can I hold this price and shop around a little? He said sure, but HOLD ON, let me check the "inventory" first. And WOW WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT? Someone JUST cancelled their order and there is a brand new mattress in the "warehouse" he can "give" me for $999.

Sleep Country delivers for free and disposed my king mattress for $15 extra. Overall, happy with the experience.

I went to National Mattress Outlet Plus+ in Sauga, no discounts, they do not dispose mattresses, and also I had to chase down a salesperson, they ignored us until we fetched them even though others got service.
:confused:
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13217 posts
10091 upvotes
GTA, ON
iEyeCaptain wrote: Then I said, okay, can I hold this price and shop around a little? He said sure, but HOLD ON, let me check the "inventory" first. And WOW WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT? Someone JUST cancelled their order and there is a brand new mattress in the "warehouse" he can "give" me for $999.
lol... Sure someone just cancelled their order. Lol. God, these SC salespeople are such jokers. Good for you, but unlikely true. I'm sure if you left and called back the next day, they'd say there is over stock and now he can give it for $899.
Sleep Country delivers for free and disposed my king mattress for $15 extra. Overall, happy with the experience.
You can also check with your city waste services. In my city (Markham), you can dispose of your mattress on regular garbage day by leaving it on the curb. The only difficult part is bringing it out to the curb, but it's free.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 3, 2021
4 posts
13 upvotes
I purchased a Zinus memory foam 12 Inch king size mattress from Amazon for under $500 (+ free shipping) last year and I'm super happy with it.
I have compared it my some of my friends' more premium brands (Casper and Snow&Silk) which are at least twice as expensive but I can't say they are superior in terms of quality or comfort.
Time will show if the longevity of the Zinus mattress is not a match to the more expensive brands, but for now it's holding great.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6717 posts
1227 upvotes
Biggest concern ordering online or buy from Costco is that you cannot try. Just like our experience with Endy. The SC sales tried to pull that "sale only today" thing on us, and we said we need more time. I will go check out the Bay as suggested.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17797 posts
15248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
golden wrote: Biggest concern ordering online or buy from Costco is that you cannot try. Just like our experience with Endy. The SC sales tried to pull that "sale only today" thing on us, and we said we need more time. I will go check out the Bay as suggested.
Good plan

The trick to Costco tho is they usually sell mostly name brands that produce “a line” (example : Beautyrest Platinum) … so you can make a list of which ones Costco carries and then go to a place like Sleep Country to find the firmness you like … but ultimately order from Costco. This gives you all the great things that Costco offers … Price, Guarantee, Delivery, Haul Away, and Warranty.

Or … you can just shop @ The Bay … when the one you want is on sale.

My last mattress came from The Bay … would definitely buy there again.
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Try Serifina Pearl from Costco, they have a few different firmness level to them.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2797 posts
1161 upvotes
Mississauga
Love the Logan and Cove .. bit it's not cheap.