• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2022 8:50 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7224 posts
1720 upvotes

Mattress shopping suggestions?

It's time to replace my guest bedroom and master bedroom mattresses. Bought Endy to try out for guest bedroom but it's way too soft and giving us back pain. Went to Sleep Country yesterday to try out some coil mattresses. Any good recommendation where to find good deal on mattresses? Given the Endy experience, we definitely want to try before buying. It's causing a lot of regret as I heard they now throw away the return mattress intead of donating it.
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22375 posts
21006 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Mattresses are as you have discovered all about personal preferences

There are literally dozens of Mattress threads here in the HOME & GARDEN FORUM

Suggest you just use the SEARCH THIS FORUM feature at the top of the directory to find some

home-garden-f53/

They are full of great advice whether you are looking for a traditional pocket coil, foam, or a bed in a box type mattress

But to get you started …

Sleep Country and other such mattress chains are a good place to go look … maybe see & try a lot of brands under one roof

But not necessarily the best place to buy … they tend to be terribly overpriced (hence why they can afford to pitch out a returned mattress … vs recycle it )

Likewise, stay away from The Brick. Again you can read RFD threads on them … or GOOGLE to see all the complaints and court cases etc

Costco, The Bay, and Mom & Pop Furniture Stores … May be your best bet for Price, Sales & Service

Costco has limited lines … but it’s Costco & their Return / Warranty Policy … so pretty much the bomb vs elsewhere

Whoever you find yourself considering … do post again before you shell out any money for feedback … or do a GOOGLE to see what’s what on how they are to deal with
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9563 posts
2180 upvotes
Somewhere
Something less known is that you can negotiate prices at Sleep Country.

I recently (within past 2 months) went to Sleep Country and bought a Sealy Posturepedic. The price shown was $1,500.

I ask the salesperson if he can work a discount, and he offered $1,250 "for that day only".

Then I said, okay, can I hold this price and shop around a little? He said sure, but HOLD ON, let me check the "inventory" first. And WOW WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT? Someone JUST cancelled their order and there is a brand new mattress in the "warehouse" he can "give" me for $999.

Sleep Country delivers for free and disposed my king mattress for $15 extra. Overall, happy with the experience.

I went to National Mattress Outlet Plus+ in Sauga, no discounts, they do not dispose mattresses, and also I had to chase down a salesperson, they ignored us until we fetched them even though others got service.
:confused:
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16405 posts
13909 upvotes
GTA, ON
iEyeCaptain wrote: Then I said, okay, can I hold this price and shop around a little? He said sure, but HOLD ON, let me check the "inventory" first. And WOW WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT? Someone JUST cancelled their order and there is a brand new mattress in the "warehouse" he can "give" me for $999.
lol... Sure someone just cancelled their order. Lol. God, these SC salespeople are such jokers. Good for you, but unlikely true. I'm sure if you left and called back the next day, they'd say there is over stock and now he can give it for $899.
Sleep Country delivers for free and disposed my king mattress for $15 extra. Overall, happy with the experience.
You can also check with your city waste services. In my city (Markham), you can dispose of your mattress on regular garbage day by leaving it on the curb. The only difficult part is bringing it out to the curb, but it's free.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 3, 2021
8 posts
28 upvotes
I purchased a Zinus memory foam 12 Inch king size mattress from Amazon for under $500 (+ free shipping) last year and I'm super happy with it.
I have compared it my some of my friends' more premium brands (Casper and Snow&Silk) which are at least twice as expensive but I can't say they are superior in terms of quality or comfort.
Time will show if the longevity of the Zinus mattress is not a match to the more expensive brands, but for now it's holding great.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7224 posts
1720 upvotes
Biggest concern ordering online or buy from Costco is that you cannot try. Just like our experience with Endy. The SC sales tried to pull that "sale only today" thing on us, and we said we need more time. I will go check out the Bay as suggested.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22375 posts
21006 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
golden wrote: Biggest concern ordering online or buy from Costco is that you cannot try. Just like our experience with Endy. The SC sales tried to pull that "sale only today" thing on us, and we said we need more time. I will go check out the Bay as suggested.
Good plan

The trick to Costco tho is they usually sell mostly name brands that produce “a line” (example : Beautyrest Platinum) … so you can make a list of which ones Costco carries and then go to a place like Sleep Country to find the firmness you like … but ultimately order from Costco. This gives you all the great things that Costco offers … Price, Guarantee, Delivery, Haul Away, and Warranty.

Or … you can just shop @ The Bay … when the one you want is on sale.

My last mattress came from The Bay … would definitely buy there again.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1147 posts
548 upvotes
GTA
Try Serifina Pearl from Costco, they have a few different firmness level to them.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3476 posts
1659 upvotes
Mississauga
Love the Logan and Cove .. bit it's not cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7878 posts
8842 upvotes
Montréal
May not be the only place, but BUYERS BEWARE OF SLEEP COUNTRY

With proof, all across Canada, they sell used matresses as new or demo. Used matresses sold as demo are not demos from the showroom, but in fact used matresses returned under the "100 nights satisfaction warranty" and this is illegal all across Canada. Here's an article from "La facture", French version of "Marketplace" tv show.

Sorry, in French only.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/18 ... omme-neufs
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1997 posts
868 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Last time I needed a mattress, my wife and I went to Rosehill Auction House in Fort Erie, asked them to show me the most expensive mattresses they had. You don't find them selling mattresses for $1,000+ there. I disregarded the Tempurpedic, as it was our last purchase, and it sagged / cratored pretty bad. We then selected a Beautyrest Hotel Collection mattress after my wife and I very briefly tested it, and then minutes later they loaded it in our truck. Quick and easy.

A mattress is not something I want to buy from a commission-paid salesman, who will take 20 minutes to look something up on his computer, and then tell me I can schedule to have it delivered 4 weeks from the day, and that he can sell me a wonderful protection package etc...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7634 posts
4267 upvotes
West GTEH!
rkjredflag wrote: Last time I needed a mattress, my wife and I went to Rosehill Auction House in Fort Erie, asked them to show me the most expensive mattresses they had. You don't find them selling mattresses for $1,000+ there. I disregarded the Tempurpedic, as it was our last purchase, and it sagged / cratored pretty bad. We then selected a Beautyrest Hotel Collection mattress after my wife and I very briefly tested it, and then minutes later they loaded it in our truck. Quick and easy.

A mattress is not something I want to buy from a commission-paid salesman, who will take 20 minutes to look something up on his computer, and then tell me I can schedule to have it delivered 4 weeks from the day, and that he can sell me a wonderful protection package etc...
You bought a very good mattress. And they are a more Premium Price.
A lot of people don't know that Hotel mattresses are totally different from Consumer mattresses you buy at Sleep Country, The Brick, etc.
Hotel Mattresses are Commercial Grade Coils because of all the people sleeping in Hotels.

I know this because I use to work in the Mattress Industry.
😎
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1997 posts
868 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Webhead wrote: You bought a very good mattress. And they are a more Premium Price.
A lot of people don't know that Hotel mattresses are totally different from Consumer mattresses you buy at Sleep Country, The Brick, etc.
Hotel Mattresses are Commercial Grade Coils because of all the people sleeping in Hotels.

Maybe I misspoke. I think it said Beautyrest Hotel 4 on the shipping label. About $1,800 for a King at the Brick right now, so I'm not sure that is actually hotel quality. I don't remember what we paid, but I want to say somewhere in the $500-750 range.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5072 posts
1037 upvotes
Burlington
Webhead wrote: You bought a very good mattress. And they are a more Premium Price.

Wouldn't hotel beds be used less than personal beds? At home you sleep in your bed every night outside of maybe when you're on vacation. In hotels they are definitely not always at 100% capacity and being used every night.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7634 posts
4267 upvotes
West GTEH!
Tha_Doggg wrote: Wouldn't hotel beds be used less than personal beds? At home you sleep in your bed every night outside of maybe when you're on vacation. In hotels they are definitely not always at 100% capacity and being used every night.
Good point. Sleeping at Home every night.

Depends on the Hotel. Some Hotels are busier than others.
And Hotels do not have time to keep inventory of their Mattresses. Therefore, the "Hotel" Designation is given to these mattresses because they are made tougher (materials & coils) to last a longer period of time.
Hotels hate to be changing out mattresses every few years. Again depends on the volume of Guests staying at the Hotel.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7634 posts
4267 upvotes
West GTEH!
rkjredflag wrote: Maybe I misspoke. I think it said Beautyrest Hotel 4 on the shipping label. About $1,800 for a King at the Brick right now, so I'm not sure that is actually hotel quality. I don't remember what we paid, but I want to say somewhere in the $500-750 range.
Hmm. You'd have to check the actual Tag on on the Mattress to see what you purchased.

I don't think you bought a "Hotel Collection" mattress for $500-$750. That's way too low of a Price for it.
😎
Sep 23, 2014
176 posts
160 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Mattress underground is a great resource if you're looking for more information:

https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... a-mattress

Personally, I got a latex mattress last time I was in the market for a mattress and I absolutely love it. Will be getting another one soon as we upgrade to a king bed.
Jul 21, 2013
343 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
We have gotten almost 8 years out of a 1k IKEA mattress that has been great, but it needs to be replaced.

Do I get another IKEA mattress for similar price and assume another 7-9 years or spend double on a sleep country mattress and hope for longer duration and enjoy some of the premium options

Has anyone gone the route of a premium mattress and regretted it ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7634 posts
4267 upvotes
West GTEH!
lestat83 wrote: We have gotten almost 8 years out of a 1k IKEA mattress that has been great, but it needs to be replaced.

Do I get another IKEA mattress for similar price and assume another 7-9 years or spend double on a sleep country mattress and hope for longer duration and enjoy some of the premium options

Has anyone gone the route of a premium mattress and regretted it ?
I always suggest to people: Mattress is a very Individual Personal Choice. What works for you might not work for the next person.
Whichever Mattress is Comfortable for YOU and whatever YOUR Budget is.
😎
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16405 posts
13909 upvotes
GTA, ON
If you own a Queen or smaller, you'll always have more choice because of sales. King size, you're pretty much limited and screwed because man, rarely a sale, and forget about cash'n'carry (unless you own a cubevan)
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!