Expired Hot Deals

[Maxi] At Last! Whole Pineapple for $1.98 (also at Food Basics)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2020 9:03 am
[OP]
Sep 20, 2019
14 posts
159 upvotes

[Maxi] At Last! Whole Pineapple for $1.98 (also at Food Basics)

Have you ever wondered why a guy woke up one day, and decided to commit the crime of putting pineapple pieces on a tasty ham pizza?

Was it an accident? Was he drunk? Did he get kicked in the head by a mule?

None of that. It turns out that there is a very scientific reason behind mixing pineapple with ham pizza, and I'm going to tell you exactly why.

You see, other than their high nutrient content and pleasantly sweet taste, pineapples are actually overloaded with an enzyme called Bromelain. This enzyme is ONLY found in pineapples and has many interesting health benefits.

For example, its protein-digesting properties can help with digestion (this is what explains the Hawaiian pizza). It can help speed up wound healing and exfoliate the skin. It also helps relieve sinus problems and has anti-inflammatory properties.

Now, I'd like to bring your attention to that last point: the anti-inflammatory properties.

As you already know, most of us have been locked up in our homes for the past few weeks. It can be considered a relief for some... a good way to relax for others... or a vacation for the younger ones. However, this confinement can become dangerous very quickly.

When you're at home and eat some foods or get exposed to various toxins (mold, shampoo, deodorant, perfume, etc.), your body can get inflamed. This inflammation is an immune response of your body against things it considers harmful. To give you an example, eating too much added sugars or refined carbohydrates WILL cause an inflammation in your body.

Overtime, this inflammation can sneakily turn into a death sentence as it leads to several health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, liver disease, and cancer... not to mention contracting the virus.

Now, one easy way of reducing inflammation is moderate physical activity. However, we all know that "moderate" physical activity during a deadly pandemic quickly becomes... "impossible" physical activity. And we end up with an inflammation that weakens our immune system when we're most vulnerable.

So, how can we reduce inflammation while staying home and still get to eat our beloved refined products?

I'm glad you asked, because the answer lies in... PINEAPPLES.

Indeed, every bite of this sumptuous and syrupy golden treasure is rich in this anti-inflammatory enzyme. Not only that, but its high Vitamin C content (nearly as much as an orange) also helps in reducing inflammation and kicks your immune system into high gear--effectively protecting you.

I personally like to eat two slices of this golden yumminess after every meal. But, if you feel more adventurous, the possibilities are truly endless! You can add it to velvety smoothies... bake fruity cakes... or make refreshing and thirst-quenching piña coladas to sip on your balcony while contemplating the sunset.

On top of that, they last long before spoiling. I have previously stored a few of these bad boys at room temperature for over two weeks. So you don't need to put them in the fridge unless you cut them open--which makes it a perfect fruit for storage right now.

Pineapples normally cost between 4 to 6 dollars per unit. Luckily, you can now get them for $2 at Maxi and Food Basics. The sale will end on Wednesday, the 15th of April. This deal comes at a perfect time (for the reasons mentioned above), and it would be quite imprudent to not take advantage of it.

Enjoy, and stay safe!

TLDR: Pineapples are on sale right now for $2, and the unique health benefits of this succulent fruit might come in very handy during this pandemic. They normally cost between $4-6.

Intentionally got diabetes just so I could use the blood sugar monitor I bought on sale at Target.
27 replies
Aug 6, 2018
505 posts
2764 upvotes
Man do you own pineapple stocks or something?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2736 posts
682 upvotes
czbayern2 wrote: Have you ever wondered why a guy woke up one day, and decided to commit the crime of putting pineapple pieces on a tasty ham pizza?

Was it an accident? Was he drunk? Did he get kicked in the head by a mule?

None of that. It turns out that there is a very scientific reason behind mixing pineapple with ham pizza, and I'm going to tell you exactly why.

You see, other than their high nutrient content and pleasantly sweet taste, pineapples are actually overloaded with an enzyme called Bromelain. This enzyme is ONLY found in pineapples and has many interesting health benefits.

For example, its protein-digesting properties can help with digestion (this is what explains the Hawaiian pizza). It can help speed up wound healing and exfoliate the skin. It also helps relieve sinus problems and has anti-inflammatory properties.

Now, I'd like to bring your attention to that last point: the anti-inflammatory properties.

As you already know, most of us have been locked up in our homes for the past few weeks. It can be considered a relief for some... a good way to relax for others... or a vacation for the younger ones. However, this confinement can become dangerous very quickly.

When you're at home and eat some foods or get exposed to various toxins (mold, shampoo, deodorant, perfume, etc.), your body can get inflamed. This inflammation is an immune response of your body against things it considers harmful. To give you an example, eating too much added sugars or refined carbohydrates WILL cause an inflammation in your body.

Overtime, this inflammation can sneakily turn into a death sentence as it leads to several health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, liver disease, and cancer... not to mention contracting the virus.

Now, one easy way of reducing inflammation is moderate physical activity. However, we all know that "moderate" physical activity during a deadly pandemic quickly becomes... "impossible" physical activity. And we end up with an inflammation that weakens our immune system when we're most vulnerable.

So, how can we reduce inflammation while staying home and still get to eat our beloved refined products?

I'm glad you asked, because the answer lies in... PINEAPPLES.

Indeed, every bite of this sumptuous and syrupy golden treasure is rich in this anti-inflammatory enzyme. Not only that, but its high Vitamin C content (nearly as much as an orange) also helps in reducing inflammation and kicks your immune system into high gear--effectively protecting you.

I personally like to eat two slices of this golden yumminess after every meal. But, if you feel more adventurous, the possibilities are truly endless! You can add it to velvety smoothies... bake fruity cakes... or make refreshing and thirst-quenching piña coladas to sip on your balcony while contemplating the sunset.

On top of that, they last long before spoiling. I have previously stored a few of these bad boys at room temperature for over two weeks. So you don't need to put them in the fridge unless you cut them open--which makes it a perfect fruit for storage right now.

Pineapples normally cost between 4 to 6 dollars per unit. Luckily, you can now get them for $2 at Maxi and Food Basics. The sale will end on Wednesday, the 15th of April. This deal comes at a perfect time (for the reasons mentioned above), and it would be quite imprudent to not take advantage of it.

Enjoy, and stay safe!

TLDR: Pineapples are on sale right now for $2, and the unique health benefits of this succulent fruit might come in very handy during this pandemic. They normally cost between $4-6.

Amazing post. Thx 4 sharing the info
Jun 26, 2019
333 posts
812 upvotes
I can't believe I read all that...*
Last edited by MrDisco on Apr 11th, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary
Jul 12, 2013
290 posts
190 upvotes
I saw pineapple sometime is $2 at superstore but the code starts with 8 which is GMO . I rather pay $4 for regular non-gmo pineapple. Please check code before you buy.
Aug 8, 2010
265 posts
174 upvotes
Quebec
Thanks OP, you are my new favorite person. Ihad no idea somebody loved pineapples as much as I do.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1919 posts
1154 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I like to buy the cored pineapples because you can see what you are getting. A lot of those food basics pineapples are near white inside. Up voted for high content. Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 17, 2007
496 posts
704 upvotes
Montreal
Chivancouver wrote: I saw pineapple sometime is $2 at superstore but the code starts with 8 which is GMO . I rather pay $4 for regular non-gmo pineapple. Please check code before you buy.
Explain more about this insider information please
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT SALES,IS KNOWING WHERE NOT TO WASTE TIME
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2997 posts
1005 upvotes
Toronto
rob187 wrote: I like to buy the cored pineapples because you can see what you are getting. A lot of those food basics pineapples are near white inside. Up voted for high content. Face With Tears Of Joy
Yeah same. The ones with white core are nasty. I wonder if OP can tell us a trick or two in selecting sweet pineapples
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1919 posts
1154 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
ak-47 wrote: Yeah same. The ones with white core are nasty. I wonder if OP can tell us a trick or two in selecting sweet pineapples
Smell the butt, should be sweet and pineappley. Outside needs to be golden and pinkish hue is usually a good sign also.

No guarantees though, it’s always a gamble.
Jul 3, 2017
137 posts
288 upvotes
Chivancouver wrote: I saw pineapple sometime is $2 at superstore but the code starts with 8 which is GMO . I rather pay $4 for regular non-gmo pineapple. Please check code before you buy.
GMO FUD aside, your advice about PLU codes is flat out wrong. It's not really indicative of whether something's GMO or not.
unlike the "9" prefix, the leading "8" will not denote a general category. (At one time, numbers prefixed with "8" were reserved for GMO products, but they were opened for general use after GMO growers didn't use them.)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9897 posts
4570 upvotes
Toronto
It is an ok price......maybe the $1 pineapple will make a comeback Grinning Face
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1484 posts
1741 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
czbayern2 wrote: Have you ever wondered why a guy woke up one day, and decided to commit the crime of putting pineapple pieces on a tasty ham pizza?
Truly the craziest thing about this post is that you failed to identify "a guy" as Sotirios "Sam" Panopoulos, Greek-Canadian legend, may he rest in peace.

I'll be putting some pineapple on my homemade pizzas in his honour (pineapple, pepperoni, and green pepper: an undefeated combo).
Mar 18, 2015
36 posts
47 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Dried pineapple in the dehydrator makes a great take anywhere snack. Love this stuff.
Mix in some dried bananas sprinkled with cinnamon.
Like you can eat this stuff in the bedroom, basement, living room, Get adventurous and try it in the garage,
or even sitting on the john without all that sticky juice getting everywhere is good.
Maybe even someday take it out of the house to work, hiking, fishing, hunting, a park or even camping.
I usually just buy the pineapple chunks in the can when on sale.
Time to dry some more!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16052 posts
4555 upvotes
Markham
No Frills $1.97
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Dec 31, 2006
12 posts
5 upvotes
They were too small to make this a Hot deal...
Banned
Oct 5, 2019
14 posts
57 upvotes
Gonna grab some tomorrow as I go search for Easter chocolate clearances. Pineapple goes well with chocolate. Does anyone know if it's still possible to price-match fruits/veggies at Walmart?