Automotive

Maximum number of errors on G driving test?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2013 10:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 30, 2011
96 posts
3 upvotes
Cambridge

Maximum number of errors on G driving test?

Does anyone know the maximum number of errors (checkmarks on the yellow sheet) you need to be under to pass the G test?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32088 posts
19312 upvotes
Toronto
I don't believe there are 'Set' # of errors. It really comes down to examiner's observation of how many major & minor errors the test drivers committed.

For example, parking on the line is considered to be minor. Drifting over lanes can be considered major, speeding is major too.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
i dunno

I just learned to drive properly rather than worry about that kind of stuff.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4404 posts
809 upvotes
drive with confident, exaggerate your head movement, you can commit some minors, its fine. easy pass
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17328 posts
15198 upvotes
GTA, ON
If you're askin', you're not ready.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Nov 10, 2012
777 posts
81 upvotes
Hamilton
A checkmark means minor improvement is necessary. This can be things like improper position of parallel parking (too far from curb), or turning too slow; not accelerating to traffic speed fast enough. It deducts 2 points off your starting 100.

An x means lack of/no skill. This can be things like leaving your signal on for too long, too early, parking on a slope and turning wheels wrong way, etc. This deducts 4 points off your starting 100.

You must have 80 or greater to pass.

Any mistake you make which is ticketable via the HTA - speeding, changing lanes without signal, blocking crosswalk, etc - is an automatic failure. You won't be told until you arrive back at the test center, unless the examiner is really worried about your ability to drive safely, in which they will stop the test on the spot.

You won't be informed about any mistakes you make either. Don't pay attention to the examiner writing on her clipboard - it distracts you from the road and could cause you to make more mistakes.

Also, if you're taking a driving instructors car; or using your own, any time the examiner must use the passenger brake, or physically pull the wheel to one side to avoid an impact/damage is also an automatic failure.

Stay calm and collective. Its a test of compliance, not a test of skill or speed.
If I've helped you solve an issue, don't forget to click the Thanks button to the left :)
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2904 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
Jim321 wrote: A checkmark means minor improvement is necessary. This can be things like improper position of parallel parking (too far from curb), or turning too slow; not accelerating to traffic speed fast enough. It deducts 2 points off your starting 100.

An x means lack of/no skill. This can be things like leaving your signal on for too long, too early, parking on a slope and turning wheels wrong way, etc. This deducts 4 points off your starting 100.

Any mistake you make which is ticketable via the HTA - speeding, changing lanes without signal, blocking crosswalk, etc - is an automatic failure. You won't be told until you arrive back at the test center, unless the examiner is really worried about your ability to drive safely, in which they will stop the test on the spot.

You won't be informed about any mistakes you make either. Don't pay attention to the examiner writing on her clipboard - it distracts you from the road and could cause you to make more mistakes.

Also, if you're taking a driving instructors car; or using your own, any time the examiner must use the passenger brake, or physically pull the wheel to one side to avoid an impact/damage is also an automatic failure.

Stay calm and collective. Its a test of compliance, not a test of skill or speed.
To add to that, AFAIK if you make the same mistake twice, it doubles the pts deducted.

Say you make 1 small mistake, 2pts off. You then make the mistake again, 4pts off on top of the 2 pts. Make the same mistake again, 8 pts off on top of the 6pts already deducted etc etc..
[OP]
Oct 30, 2011
96 posts
3 upvotes
Cambridge
Jim321 wrote: A checkmark means minor improvement is necessary. This can be things like improper position of parallel parking (too far from curb), or turning too slow; not accelerating to traffic speed fast enough. It deducts 2 points off your starting 100.

Thanks a lot. I'm only wondering because I thought it wasn't set in stone like that, and it was more overall what the instructor thinks of your driving (seeing as they could take quite a bit off of you just because they don't see you looking in the mirrors). Is there any way for some it could be 70 pass, for others 90, etc?

By the way, by any chance do you know what the amount is for the G1 exit test?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
Golaso wrote: Thanks a lot. I'm only wondering because I thought it wasn't set in stone like that, and it was more overall what the instructor thinks of your driving (seeing as they could take quite a bit off of you just because they don't see you looking in the mirrors). Is there any way for some it could be 70 pass, for others 90, etc?

I wouldn't worry about the points business, just drive the car. Back when I took my G2->G test what happened the first turn was a left out of the centre onto a busy main road (two lanes either direction) with no traffic light. I made the turn out fine but ended up going over 70 in what was a 60 zone (for a short time before coasting down). Before the test the guy kept telling me to relax and just pretend that I was a taxi driver and he was the customer, lol. Usually I'd be doing about 80 on that road so when I accelerated out in the turn I didn't really think about the fact that I wouldn't be going 60. When I caught it I slowed down right away and I'm not sure if he was even paying attention to the speedo then either. When we got to the first traffic light the guy put a line through the entire test paper. I didn't know what he was doing so I was like "Ahhh I failed already?!" and he was just like "no, no don't pay attention to me, pay attention to the road; keep driving".

So yeah continued the test and did whatever else he came up with and he really didn't touch the test paper after that. When we got back he's like "yep you passed" and that was it. What he'd really done is he passed me right after the first turn-out--the line was just saying we did all the stuff on the test sheet (which we did do but not at that point when he actually put the line through everything). He'd decided right after the first turn out that I knew how to drive. We continued on the test to see if I'd do anything stupid/dangerous/incompetent and knew how to do like 3pt turn and whatever, but yeah that all went fine so that was it.

I guess it depends on who you get testing you but typically on the G2->G test it's just seeing if you can drive without being a hazard and not break any rules of the road. The G1->G2 test they're probably much more concerned with all the little things here and there, making sure you do everything on the test, and watching you with more scrutiny.

Remember that the driver's test is a joke anyway. It doesn't test you to see if you actually know how to drive or really control a car or if you even know anything about a car either :rolleyes: It just tests some lame basics that people never follow a day after the test, and (with the exception of speeding) that police never enforce much anyway.

When you do the test just get in the car and drive around, do what the examiner tells you to do and you should be good, unless you really suck at driving.
Banned
Nov 10, 2012
777 posts
81 upvotes
Hamilton
Golaso wrote: Thanks a lot. I'm only wondering because I thought it wasn't set in stone like that, and it was more overall what the instructor thinks of your driving (seeing as they could take quite a bit off of you just because they don't see you looking in the mirrors). Is there any way for some it could be 70 pass, for others 90, etc?

Its partially your examiner's evaluation on your driving. If you're nervous, scared to drive, anxious (beyond the normal "test" anxiety), getting spooked by cars passing by you; things like that can cause a failure too.

The thing is, these areas of uncertainty and "possible prejudice" against you can be documented in the examiner's worksheet.

Here is the G2 exit - [IMG]http://www.outie.net/forums/attach/roadtest.jpg[/IMG]

Note how this person failed because of an unsafe lane change on the 401 when he was driving. Anything dangerous that could cause an accident could constitute as a failure. You can dispute your failure with the supervisor on duty, although, most failures are undisputable and are as a result of your lack of skill/knowledge/ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.

The G1 exit test is here. - [IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4668/dsc00363un3.jpg[/IMG]

It is the same - 80 points to pass.
If I've helped you solve an issue, don't forget to click the Thanks button to the left :)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1161 posts
113 upvotes
Kitchener
If you fail . You need help . Look at the clowns driving on our roads today .
Sep 29, 2007
632 posts
190 upvotes
Port Colborne
I had like 21 errors on my G2 exit. 2002, St. Catharines.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1705 posts
60 upvotes
Windsor
I had one error on my G test (this was back in 1993 before graduated licensing). Parked the car when we finished at the examination office, slightly crooked. Heard from my driving instructor after that they very rarely allowed a perfect, so they had to find something to ding me on.