[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3134 posts
807 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere

Mazda 3 Automatic headlights and HID

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a mazda 3 with automatic turn on headlights and was wondering if I got aftermarket HID installed will the auto lights still work?
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
14 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19499 posts
2191 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Yes

Sensor only senses change in ambient light not what bulbs are in the housing. You can yank out the bulb and it would probably still send current if the sensor senses darkness you just want see it. Stick a fork in it and you will know for sure but I wouldn't recommend that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3134 posts
807 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Supercooled wrote: Yes

Sensor only senses change in ambient light not what bulbs are in the housing. You can yank out the bulb and it would probably still send current if the sensor senses darkness you just want see it. Stick a fork in it and you will know for sure but I wouldn't recommend that.
Thanks bud
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
153 upvotes
Wood Bridge
just make sure you dont put HID inside halogen optics. it is a big no no and illegal. use projectors
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1782 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
Stronzo1 wrote: just make sure you dont put HID inside halogen optics. it is a big no no and illegal. use projectors
The Mazda3 comes stock with projectors. They're not like Civics/Corollas that use reflector housings.

Op, my only recommendation would be to see how sensitive the auto lights are. I remember when I had my Mazda3, I turned the auto lights function off after I put in HID's since the low beams would turn on and off abruptly/quickly. This is not good for longevity of the lights.
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
316 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I have a mazda5 with auto lights. the bulbs kept blowing so I put in HIDS. I find that sometimes they both turn on when you turn on the ignition but it's not 100%
so now I have to flip the headlights to 'on' before I turn the key to get them both to light up. it's a real PITA. I wish that I never installed them now.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
153 upvotes
Wood Bridge
crono06 wrote: The Mazda3 comes stock with projectors. They're not like Civics/Corollas that use reflector housings.

Op, my only recommendation would be to see how sensitive the auto lights are. I remember when I had my Mazda3, I turned the auto lights function off after I put in HID's since the low beams would turn on and off abruptly/quickly. This is not good for longevity of the lights.
ok good, thats awesome u dont want to be like those Civics
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4324 upvotes
Stronzo1 wrote: just make sure you dont put HID inside halogen optics. it is a big no no and illegal. use projectors
Doesn't stop all the ricers from doing it.
Mar 4, 2006
470 posts
144 upvotes
I have a 2006 Mazda 5 with after market HID that I installed myself. They work very well, the stock projector seems work with the HID without blinding on coming drivers.

The only thing you need for a proper and working installation is the addition of a relay wire harness. This is required because of the DRL which will cause the HID to flicker because DRL does not supply a constant 12V when on.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43008 posts
7115 upvotes
Even if you install aftermarket HID in stock projectors, it still isn't good. Its best to do a proper retrofit and use better projectors. The stock halogen projectors are not meant to be used with aftermarket HID bulbs. I know for a fact that the stock halogen projector in an Impreza is different from a WRX/STi sport tech bi xenon projector.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43008 posts
7115 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Doesn't stop all the ricers from doing it.
Don't forget the pickup, cargo vans and minivans drivers.
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3134 posts
807 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Thanks for the info!
Nov 26, 2012
342 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary
djemzine wrote: Even if you install aftermarket HID in stock projectors, it still isn't good. Its best to do a proper retrofit and use better projectors. The stock halogen projectors are not meant to be used with aftermarket HID bulbs. I know for a fact that the stock halogen projector in an Impreza is different from a WRX/STi sport tech bi xenon projector.
Yep, the optical beam pattern is totally different. You'll get a clean cutoff, but that's because it's the nature of projectors. Everything under the cutoff is still a glare fest. Oncoming drivers can definitely tell what cars are using HID bulbs in halogen projectors.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1487 posts
352 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Even if you install aftermarket HID in stock projectors, it still isn't good. Its best to do a proper retrofit and use better projectors. The stock halogen projectors are not meant to be used with aftermarket HID bulbs. I know for a fact that the stock halogen projector in an Impreza is different from a WRX/STi sport tech bi xenon projector.
This man speaks the truth.