Automotive

Mazda 3 Hatch vs Mercedes a250 Hatch

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2020 10:46 pm
Nov 24, 2007
123 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
I was literally down to these exact two choices OP. I test drove both extensively. I ended up with the Mazda3 Sport Hatch with the Premium Package, but I'll help you as best as I can.

Note that to match (and slightly exceed) a fully loaded Mazda3 hatch in terms of features (approx $32.5k + tax), the A-class will cost at least $50k+. That being said, the A-class does have much deeper factory discounts than the Mazda3 (the nearby Merc dealer to me is offering $5k off pre-negotiation). Mazda's not giving much on the Mazda3, any discount you get will have to be negotiated hard at the dealer. So the gap depending on where you are might be "only" 11-15k. But thats if you care about all the features a fully-loaded Mazda3 offers.

In terms of power/acceleration, the Mercedes has more torque so off the line it feels noticeably stronger and smoother, but not ludicrously stronger. 0-100 they're not as far off as you'd expect for the difference in price - Car and Driver has the Mazda3 at 7sec, A250 according to Mercedes is 6.1 seconds. That being said in Sport mode the Mazda3 is more than enough for anyone. Handling wise, both are very good, the Merc is better IMO. More planted and surefooted than the Mazda3, but the Mazda3 is still very good for its segment. Far better than my 2012 Ford Focus. As far as noise control goes, both are the same in terms of loudness IMO. Both control wind noise well, but there's a definite road noise from the tires.

In terms of interior niceness, honestly.........the Merc is not actuallllly nicer than the Mazda3. Yup, I'm saying it. The only two things the Merc has that you can call a definitive win are the 2 massive 10-inch screens at the front, and the pano sunroof. Amazing screens, probably best in market right now. But aside from that, I honestly cannot say that the rest of the cabin materials is nicer. The Mazda3 has leather all a big portion of the dash whereas the Merc has bad piano black plastic, and anywhere else the Mercedes has leather, so does the Mazda. The actual design of the cabin the Mazda wins IMO, there's so much style to it whereas the Mercedes is more flashy and gaudy. At night it's like a crazy nightclub in the Merc whereas the Mazda is kinda dark and dreary, even during the day, so the Merc wins there if that's your style. Its something you have to experience to believe. That being said in terms of a coherent design, I think the Mazda wins. The Merc in no shape or form is worth $10-$15k more when it comes to the interior quality.

The A250 is more practical than the Mazda3 for sure, despite being very similar dimensions on the outside. More passenger room overall, way brighter in the A250 whereas the Mazda3 is like a dark cave especially at the back. The Merc does have rear AC vents in the back, which could be important if you carry lots of passengers. More cargo space in the A250. 40/20/40 split for the rear seats, if you go skiing that's absolutely amazing. Another thing - the Mazda3 hatch DOES NOT come with a button on the remote keyfob to open the trunk at ANY price! You have to open it with your hands every time. Whereas the A250 has the button plus you can wave your foot to open the trunk. So much more convenient there.

As for exterior style...if you can get over the ugly C-pillar of the Mazda3 hatch and the weird way the rear of the hatch suddenly ends, the Mazda3 can be very gorgeous. Colour is personal pref but I think the Mazda3 needs to be in Red or Polymetal to really shine. The rest of the colours are meh. The A250 style is solid IF you get the Sport/Night package, you can't call it ugly, it doesnt have the ridiculous c-pillar of the Mazda3, but it's not necessarily outstanding either.

Feature-wise, the Merc can have every feature the Mazda3 has, and then some, if you're willing to pay (except for the heads-up display, can't get it on the Merc in Canada from what I understand). But the Merc will have the aforementioned trunk button and foot release, better voice commands with Hey Mercedes (but honestly...once you learn the Mazda voice control system or use android auto, the Mazda3 is good enough - unless you really are too lazy to turn the temperature knob with your fingers..)

Insurance + gas-wise the Merc will cost more but not substantially more. I'm sure maintenance will cost more. Reliability....who knows but my money's on Mazda.

In summary, I ended up going the Mazda3 because frankly, I couldn't justify the extra $10-$15k. I wanted to so bad, and part of me still does, but I can't. I am honestly very happy with the Mazda3. There is some bizarre costcutting in the Mazda (no trunk remote release, no pano sunroof, cargo area doesn't have storage nooks, no rear AC vents) but if those things aren't deal breakers and you're not fixated on the MB badge then save the money and get the Mazda3. If you want an overall "better" vehicle and money's no object, then get the MB, it is objectively a great car. People love to trash the A-class but they're honestly full of s***, can't afford an A-class, or havent actually driven one. Every pro review on the A-class is extremely positive (same with the Mazda3)
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3198 upvotes
GTA
nm486 wrote: I was literally down to these exact two choices OP. I test drove both extensively. I ended up with the Mazda3 Sport Hatch with the Premium Package, but I'll help you as best as I can.

Note that to match (and slightly exceed) a fully loaded Mazda3 hatch in terms of features (approx $32.5k + tax), the A-class will cost at least $50k+. That being said, the A-class does have much deeper factory discounts than the Mazda3 (the nearby Merc dealer to me is offering $5k off pre-negotiation). Mazda's not giving much on the Mazda3, any discount you get will have to be negotiated hard at the dealer. So the gap depending on where you are might be "only" 11-15k. But thats if you care about all the features a fully-loaded Mazda3 offers.

In terms of power/acceleration, the Mercedes has more torque so off the line it feels noticeably stronger and smoother, but not ludicrously stronger. 0-100 they're not as far off as you'd expect for the difference in price - Car and Driver has the Mazda3 at 7sec, A250 according to Mercedes is 6.1 seconds. That being said in Sport mode the Mazda3 is more than enough for anyone. Handling wise, both are very good, the Merc is better IMO. More planted and surefooted than the Mazda3, but the Mazda3 is still very good for its segment. Far better than my 2012 Ford Focus. As far as noise control goes, both are the same in terms of loudness IMO. Both control wind noise well, but there's a definite road noise from the tires.

In terms of interior niceness, honestly.........the Merc is not actuallllly nicer than the Mazda3. Yup, I'm saying it. The only two things the Merc has that you can call a definitive win are the 2 massive 10-inch screens at the front, and the pano sunroof. Amazing screens, probably best in market right now. But aside from that, I honestly cannot say that the rest of the cabin materials is nicer. The Mazda3 has leather all a big portion of the dash whereas the Merc has bad piano black plastic, and anywhere else the Mercedes has leather, so does the Mazda. The actual design of the cabin the Mazda wins IMO, there's so much style to it whereas the Mercedes is more flashy and gaudy. At night it's like a crazy nightclub in the Merc whereas the Mazda is kinda dark and dreary, even during the day, so the Merc wins there if that's your style. Its something you have to experience to believe. That being said in terms of a coherent design, I think the Mazda wins. The Merc in no shape or form is worth $10-$15k more when it comes to the interior quality.

The A250 is more practical than the Mazda3 for sure, despite being very similar dimensions on the outside. More passenger room overall, way brighter in the A250 whereas the Mazda3 is like a dark cave especially at the back. The Merc does have rear AC vents in the back, which could be important if you carry lots of passengers. More cargo space in the A250. 40/20/40 split for the rear seats, if you go skiing that's absolutely amazing. Another thing - the Mazda3 hatch DOES NOT come with a button on the remote keyfob to open the trunk at ANY price! You have to open it with your hands every time. Whereas the A250 has the button plus you can wave your foot to open the trunk. So much more convenient there.

As for exterior style...if you can get over the ugly C-pillar of the Mazda3 hatch and the weird way the rear of the hatch suddenly ends, the Mazda3 can be very gorgeous. Colour is personal pref but I think the Mazda3 needs to be in Red or Polymetal to really shine. The rest of the colours are meh. The A250 style is solid IF you get the Sport/Night package, you can't call it ugly, it doesnt have the ridiculous c-pillar of the Mazda3, but it's not necessarily outstanding either.

Feature-wise, the Merc can have every feature the Mazda3 has, and then some, if you're willing to pay (except for the heads-up display, can't get it on the Merc in Canada from what I understand). But the Merc will have the aforementioned trunk button and foot release, better voice commands with Hey Mercedes (but honestly...once you learn the Mazda voice control system or use android auto, the Mazda3 is good enough - unless you really are too lazy to turn the temperature knob with your fingers..)

Insurance + gas-wise the Merc will cost more but not substantially more. I'm sure maintenance will cost more. Reliability....who knows but my money's on Mazda.

In summary, I ended up going the Mazda3 because frankly, I couldn't justify the extra $10-$15k. I wanted to so bad, and part of me still does, but I can't. I am honestly very happy with the Mazda3. There is some bizarre costcutting in the Mazda (no trunk remote release, no pano sunroof, cargo area doesn't have storage nooks, no rear AC vents) but if those things aren't deal breakers and you're not fixated on the MB badge then save the money and get the Mazda3. If you want an overall "better" vehicle and money's no object, then get the MB, it is objectively a great car. People love to trash the A-class but they're honestly full of s***, can't afford an A-class, or havent actually driven one. Every pro review on the A-class is extremely positive (same with the Mazda3)
Nice write up. The single most upsetting thing about the Mazda (and Mazda’s in general), is the paper thin paint jobs that chip like crazy. This is well documented on the Mazda forums and Reddit. Most complaints are about soul crystal red, but it extends to all Mazda paint jobs.

$2.5K for a clear bra and hope it doesn’t rust like the Gen 1&2.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
From $55k MSRP on the a250 I drove for few days, I rebuilt the a250 with only necessaries

- premium package $2950
- nav $1000
- 360 cam with parking package $1550

New MSRP $43800.

It's fugly for sure but has most of the bells and whistles at cost of $5kish more then Mazda gt depending on discount you get.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: From $55k MSRP on the a250 I drove for few days, I rebuilt the a250 with only necessaries

- premium package $2950
- nav $1000
- 360 cam with parking package $1550

New MSRP $43800.

It's fugly for sure but has most of the bells and whistles at cost of $5kish more then Mazda gt depending on discount you get.
Your build doesn't even have heated steering wheel or any driver assist safety features

Also riding on fulgy 17" rims

To get heated steering wheel you need to add $1750 which gets you the 18" rims and add another $1900 for driver assist which requires $2500 in extras for LED lights and park assist(stuff that comes standard in a base Corolla or mazda3)

So you need to add min $10k in options to have the basics of 18" rims, heated steering wheel and driver assist

Min features you need will end up with
$48400 msrp plus reight/pdi is around $2800?

It's around 10k more for the A class with less features (except better engine)

A loaded Mazda 3 GT hatch is 31k . So around 15k difference for less features and tech for an A class

Whether the badge is worth 15k+ tax and other costs is up to buyer
Last edited by StatsGuy on Oct 12th, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 24, 2007
123 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
georgecantstandya wrote: Nice write up. The single most upsetting thing about the Mazda (and Mazda’s in general), is the paper thin paint jobs that chip like crazy. This is well documented on the Mazda forums and Reddit. Most complaints are about soul crystal red, but it extends to all Mazda paint jobs.

$2.5K for a clear bra and hope it doesn’t rust like the Gen 1&2.
Good point on that, I forgot to mention that the Soul Crystal Red NEEDS paint protection so factor in at least $700 for paint protection film for most of the front hood, bumper, and mirrors. Or $2.5k for full protection. I've heard some of their other colours are weak but not quite as weak as the red. In any case yeah you should probably get PPF regardless of colour...that reminds me, I gotta get around to that! :)
Mar 12, 2016
47 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: But crash test results aren't any better for the MB? If you go by Europe crash test, Mazda 3 did even better? The A class hasn't been tested from iihs yet but based on euro tests which I think is more stringent? The Mazda actually rates slightly higher

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/ma ... sedan/2019

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/mer ... lass/33728

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/Mazda/3/35876
Those tests are done at 50km/h or so, all manufacturers know how to pass them. At 100km/h its a complete different story. Hyundai rates same as Volvo on most crash tests hence both will get more or less same stars but on which one you will want to be in if something happens on 401? I seriously doubt it anyone will pick Hyundai....
I sent an 2012 Accord and a 2014 Cla to be fixed in a bodyshop (a friend of mine), both cars were damaged at same place, rear wheel well (same damage on both,not that big). Took a day more for the Mercedes to be straighten out, he was complaining about hard steel. I bet those cars have same ratings at 50km/h tests.
Mar 12, 2016
47 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: I think a lot of people do. Otherwise how to you explain the purchase of base BMW/Merc/Audi cars when there are loaded cars from other brands for less money that are better? If that same BMW/Merc/Audi were branded Kia, nobody would be buying them.

Also, even new cars need oil changes, brake changes, and regular servicing.
That is not true. There are not and probably will never be cars better than European designs and build in every segment (except trucks, Americans own that). Reliability is debatable but for me is suspension and feel which makes the difference...a Lexus for example will never be close to a Bmw doesn't matter how much they try, and they are trying for long while...still cant do it.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
Pete79 wrote: Those tests are done at 50km/h or so, all manufacturers know how to pass them. At 100km/h its a complete different story. Hyundai rates same as Volvo on most crash tests hence both will get more or less same stars but on which one you will want to be in if something happens on 401? I seriously doubt it anyone will pick Hyundai....
I sent an 2012 Accord and a 2014 Cla to be fixed in a bodyshop (a friend of mine), both cars were damaged at same place, rear wheel well (same damage on both,not that big). Took a day more for the Mercedes to be straighten out, he was complaining about hard steel. I bet those cars have same ratings at 50km/h tests.
Then why is the Mercedes rates even lower at the lower speeds? So you're saying Mercedes scores worse at lower speeds but somehow at higher speeds will do better? Do you have any actual testing to substantiate this?
Last edited by StatsGuy on Oct 12th, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
Pete79 wrote: That is not true. There are not and probably will never be cars better than European designs and build in every segment (except trucks, Americans own that). Reliability is debatable but for me is suspension and feel which makes the difference...a Lexus for example will never be close to a Bmw doesn't matter how much they try, and they are trying for long while...still cant do it.
But this is about Mercedes? Bmw doesn't make the A250

And Bmw has been trying to make a high quality interior for a long time too and still haven't gotten it either and have been trying for a while. And I don't think Lexus has been trying to copy BMW suspension and tuning as they've made their cars softer and smoother ride. it's the other way around. BMW with each itineration is trying to be softer and more like Lexus as that's what sells cars they've discovered.

I've driven 4 different BMW M3/ M4s for the last 10+ years and they get softer each itineration and less involved chassis and suspension tuning. Heck, they pump fake sounds into cabin now even in their M cars and you need an akrapovic just to make it sound somewhat normal like in older versions
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
nm486 wrote: I was literally down to these exact two choices OP. I test drove both extensively. I ended up with the Mazda3 Sport Hatch with the Premium Package, but I'll help you as best as I can.

WOW! Amazing review! Thanks! I am leaning towards the Mazda for the same reasons.
Mar 12, 2016
47 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: But this is about Mercedes? Bmw doesn't make the A250

And Bmw has been trying to make a high quality interior for a long time too and still haven't gotten it either and have been trying for a while. And I don't think Lexus has been trying to copy BMW suspension and tuning as they've made their cars softer and smoother ride. it's the other way around. BMW with each itineration is trying to be softer and more like Lexus as that's what sells cars they've discovered.

I've driven 4 different BMW M3/ M4s for the last 10+ years and they get softer each itineration and less involved chassis and suspension tuning. Heck, they pump fake sounds into cabin now even in their M cars and you need an akrapovic just to make it sound somewhat normal like in older versions
I took Lexus and Bmw as an example. Lexus Is has been going after 3 series for a long time and still not there...but you are right, Bmw is not what used to be. Especially now since they turned to Turbos only, those engines are crap, sound like washing machines and been throwing timing chain off rails at 100k or so.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Everyone is telling me to avoid European. They're only good for leasing. Until I test drove one...

I fell in love with the 2019 Audi Q3. My 2020 Proggresiv is coming next month.

I only had/have Japanese since my first POS lemon Pontiac Grand AM V6 and figured try something different. As much as I love my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD, I couldn't buy it again. The 2019 does look even better but it doesn't help it now cost $44k+ for the exact same trim.

I thought about the Mazda CX-5, test drove the GT. I wasn't really feeling the design but it was the only Japanese left on my list. Didn't want another Honda ei8, hate Toyota's transmission and Lexus is too expensive.

I just couldn't get over the difference, I was amazed with the quality and the Audi Q3 was only a few hundred dollars more. The performance and especially the handling was night and day.

As posted, my only concern is the maintenance.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
BTW, I drove the BMW X2 and I was surprised. I didn't feel it, the interior was depressing that the performance and handling didn't matter. The interior was not only bland but looked and felt cheap. Quickest test drives.

Mercedes. Not touching it. What happened to the design. I love the old GLK250.

I love the Audi Q3 so much I went back three times and one time my boy drove it. lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
bembol wrote: Everyone is telling me to avoid European. They're only good for leasing. Until I test drove one...

I fell in love with the 2019 Audi Q3. My 2020 Proggresiv is coming next month.

I only had/have Japanese since my first POS lemon Pontiac Grand AM V6 and figured try something different. As much as I love my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD, I couldn't buy it again. The 2019 does look even better but it doesn't help it now cost $44k+ for the exact same trim.

I thought about the Mazda CX-5, test drove the GT. I wasn't really feeling the design but it was the only Japanese left on my list. Didn't want another Honda ei8, hate Toyota's transmission and Lexus is too expensive.

I just couldn't get over the difference, I was amazed with the quality and the Audi Q3 was only a few hundred dollars more. The performance and especially the handling was night and day.

As posted, my only concern is the maintenance.
They are only good for leasing. As in they're good when new and dumped before year 4. You're Q3 is new . Hoped you leased it and not actually bought it

I drive European cars only but only lease them and 42mths is Max I keep them

I don't think people tell anyone to avoid Europeans? Just don't buy them, they're for leasing only. The initial drive and for some cars, the features and design are nice but it gets tiring pretty quick with quirks and issues. I still scratch my head how Audi even with LED lights, see so many burned out just a couple years in.

I lease all my cars but make sure it's less than 48mths for a euro. Japanese cars are for those who want to actually own
Feb 4, 2009
247 posts
24 upvotes
The (surprisingly) high residual value of some of the european luxury cars can result in a lease payment similar to a much cheaper japanese car. I looked at the a250 this summer and leasing it seemed very economical. In the end, I just found the hatch too small (similar problem with the Lexus UX) and my wife didn't want us to have a luxury car brand.

But, I vote for the a250 over the mazda 3. I have owned a gen 1 mazda 3, a mazda 6 and an old mazda mx6 and every single one of them rusted and had reliability problems. They drive great until they don't. I swore off of mazda even though I am sure they have fixed most of their issues.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
bltman wrote: The (surprisingly) high residual value of some of the european luxury cars can result in a lease payment similar to a much cheaper japanese car. I looked at the a250 this summer and leasing it seemed very economical. In the end, I just found the hatch too small (similar problem with the Lexus UX) and my wife didn't want us to have a luxury car brand.

But, I vote for the a250 over the mazda 3. I have owned a gen 1 mazda 3, a mazda 6 and an old mazda mx6 and every single one of them rusted and had reliability problems. They drive great until they don't. I swore off of mazda even though I am sure they have fixed most of their issues.
Yes that's why Germans can be good for leasing but not the A hatch

You need to add 10k in features to get basic features like driver assist and heated steering wheel. Then tack on the higher fees from MB for everything like freight/pdi etc and either you have a big first payment of several thousands to cover the fees or roll it in and pay the higher interest rate

But like the B class, the "price" maybe cheaper for the A class but unlike BMW, maintenance is extra. A standard service at MB is going to be easily$600+ out the door each time which is a lot for a cheap hard plastic interior base hatch like the A class
Last edited by StatsGuy on Oct 13th, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete79 wrote: Those tests are done at 50km/h or so, all manufacturers know how to pass them. At 100km/h its a complete different story. Hyundai rates same as Volvo on most crash tests hence both will get more or less same stars but on which one you will want to be in if something happens on 401? I seriously doubt it anyone will pick Hyundai....
You have no idea how car safety works. Harder steel doesn't mean a safer car. The safest cars are precisely engineered to absorb kinetic energy by deformation of materials.
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
365 upvotes
I know the vid is 10 years old now but still relevant
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
365 upvotes
I think a lot of people still dislike the Merc A-class because the first generation was so bad, it was horrible to drive, flipped over on testing when it first came out and everyone laughed at it. However, Merc recalled every single one they had sold and suspended sales to fix them with suspension updates and electronic stability control. They also won design awards for the car and spent a fortune developing it, even though reviews and journalists hated the car it still sold really well in most of the world because it was an entry point to the brand. I rented one for a trip to Europe once and couldn't wait to get out of it, they obliged and gave me a C-class instead.

The second generation was no better, but you could see how Merc was developing customers for their other models just as BMW does with their 1 series hatchbacks in Europe. We in North America didn't see nearly as many of these first two generations of the A-Class on the road, but as a whole they had sold well over two million of them by the time the third generation was ready to be launched.

The third generation took a huge step forward both in design and how the car drove, it became a serious competitor for the very popular BMW 1 series hatch in Europe, and the new 4th generation has built on that. I think in North America it still suffers from public opinion of those 1st and 2nd generation quirky expensive "eco-hatch" styling cars, which is a bit unfair if you actually drive the new ones. Sure you can tell getting into one that it isn't a S-class, I actually read one review which criticized it's interior for not being more like a S-class even though it is about 1/3 of the price!

Would I personally buy one? No is the simple answer, but they are good, well engineered cars that are fun to drive. I tend to keep cars from new until after their warranty period has elapsed, and with that in mind there are many other hatchbacks in that category I would rather have.

To the OP, if those are the 2 options you have narrowed it down to, one of the posts previously mentioned waiting for the Skyactiv-X Gen2 engine which they plan to release in the Mazda 3 before the end of the year. That sounds like good advice to me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)