Mazda Bose system white noise?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 1:59 am
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
47 posts
22 upvotes

Mazda Bose system white noise?

Hey guys, I just bought a 2017 CX-9 GT and love it so far. The only small issue I have is that there seems to be a low hissing / white noise coming from the speakers when the radio is turned off or muted. It's not a huge deal but it does get annoying at times. I tried playing around with the settings but nothing really helps. If I turn off Centerpoint, the sound goes away for a split second and comes back.
I did a search and it seems to be an issue with other Mazda models with the Bose system, so I was wondering if anyone else has this issue with their Mazda and if there is a solution or if it just how the Bose system is.
Also, they upgraded the headunit with Apple Carplay/Android Auto, not sure if that could play a part?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28310 posts
8761 upvotes
Can you turn off AudioPilot? The white noise is very likely part of Blose's noise cancelling business...which is also part of AudioPilot I believe. If you have the option to turn that off, perhaps that will do it. Otherwise...well, that's Blose for 'ya.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2015
47 posts
22 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Can you turn off AudioPilot? The white noise is very likely part of Blose's noise cancelling business...which is also part of AudioPilot I believe. If you have the option to turn that off, perhaps that will do it. Otherwise...well, that's Blose for 'ya.
Yes it does. I turned it off for a couple minutes while I was playing with the settings but it didn't seem to make it go away. I'll try keeping it off while I drive and see.
But yeah the Bose system in these Mazdas are kind of a let down.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14919 posts
3313 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of vehicles these days have "white noise" to try to mask other sounds from the car. I think it is a load of crap as I want to hear music and not noise. Add better sound proofing to get rid of the noise to get in the car vs. creating more noise to get rid of noise lol.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1468 posts
2048 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: that's Blose for 'ya.
Good one! Never heard that before.

"No highs, no lows. Must be Bose"

For best sound, proper speaker placement is critical. With Bose the best placement is by the curb for rubbish pick-up.
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28310 posts
8761 upvotes
ts2022 wrote: Yes it does. I turned it off for a couple minutes while I was playing with the settings but it didn't seem to make it go away. I'll try keeping it off while I drive and see.
But yeah the Bose system in any car are a total let down.
Fixed that for 'ya ;) Don't worry I got it in one of my cars too--ugh. I'm adding a [real] sub to it soon though and will replace the front stage, mostly likely in spring as well. I'm really surprised some manufacturers are still (or even starting :eek: ) to use Blose in their cars. It's so dumb. Even though my car was designed years before yours, has the same crap--AudioPilot, CenterPoint--only I can't turn them off or control them or the EQ at all :facepalm: I'm not sure I get any white noise like that but I haven't really listened--wouldn't surprise me if it's there. I'm not entirely convinced AudioPilot is terrible on its own (that will take some experimenting with better drivers and amp) because the idea of ANC is a good one. Just Blose implementation might just be crap in the end.
Deepwater wrote: Good one! Never heard that before.

"No highs, no lows. Must be Bose"

For best sound, proper speaker placement is critical. With Bose the best placement is by the curb for rubbish pick-up.
Hahaha lmao. So true though. But the funny part is I always heard the same statement but like this:

"No highs, no lows? Must be Blose!" :lol:

Not to forget:

"Friends don't let friends buy Blose." Etc.

But the problem with cars that have it...it's often unavoidable. If you get some packages, nav, etc. sometimes it's mandatory. As said, don't get how automakers are still using this stuff. Many have moved away. GM seems to still be quite stalwart in using them--SMH.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13122 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
We don’t have that issue with our 2019 cx-9. It also has the Bose system. I would take it in for warranty
Sep 17, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
ts2022 wrote: Hey guys, I just bought a 2017 CX-9 GT and love it so far. The only small issue I have is that there seems to be a low hissing / white noise coming from the speakers when the radio is turned off or muted. It's not a huge deal but it does get annoying at times. I tried playing around with the settings but nothing really helps. If I turn off Centerpoint, the sound goes away for a split second and comes back.
I did a search and it seems to be an issue with other Mazda models with the Bose system, so I was wondering if anyone else has this issue with their Mazda and if there is a solution or if it just how the Bose system is.
Also, they upgraded the headunit with Apple Carplay/Android Auto, not sure if that could play a part?
Hey, thinking of getting the same one. You mind letting me know how much you got it for? Thanks!