Automotive

Mazda CX-5 Seats - Leather, full leather. nappa leather, leather-trim, leatherette?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2021 11:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario

Mazda CX-5 Seats - Leather, full leather. nappa leather, leather-trim, leatherette?

I'm getting all sorts on conflicting information on the seat material of a Mazda CX-5.
Description varies from leather, full leather. nappa leather, leather-trim to leatherette?

I'm looking at the 2019, 2020 and 2021 model.
Dealer tells me I need to buy the GT version to get leather seats, but then I see GS models advertise as "full leather" as well.
Just test drove a 2021 GT with supposedly leather seats except they didn't feel like leather at all compared to an old 2014 Ford Fusion with leather seats.
Anyone know what's what re leather seats on a CX-5?
How can one tell if the seats are really leather? I tried the "smell test" - didn't smell like my leather living room couches at all.
20 replies
Feb 2, 2021
3 posts
Hey, as a Mazda CX-30 driver the leather seats feel really nice but I think you might know more about leather than I do so I won't give my two cents in that regard.
The CX-5 GS certainly come with leather interiors. If you want, check out this link: https://www.performance.ca/vehicles/?qs ... =2019,2022
All these cars are available in the greater toronto area and you're able to check out the interiors. Thought it might be useful!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
krs wrote: I'm getting all sorts on conflicting information on the seat material of a Mazda CX-5.
Description varies from leather, full leather. nappa leather, leather-trim to leatherette?

I'm looking at the 2019, 2020 and 2021 model.
Dealer tells me I need to buy the GT version to get leather seats, but then I see GS models advertise as "full leather" as well.
Just test drove a 2021 GT with supposedly leather seats except they didn't feel like leather at all compared to an old 2014 Ford Fusion with leather seats.
Anyone know what's what re leather seats on a CX-5?
How can one tell if the seats are really leather? I tried the "smell test" - didn't smell like my leather living room couches at all.
I wouldn’t trust any advertising to be accurate unless it’s something put out by Mazda Canada head office, ie dealer ads aren’t reliable.

From poking around, it looks like the GS leatherette….

Signature = Napa Leather
GT = Leather
Kuro = Leather
GS = Leatherette-trimmed upholstery with Grand Lux Suede® inserts (ie fake suede)
GX = Cloth

https://cdn.mazda.ca/common/cars/brochu ... 1625345476

Also “full leather” is misleading as its really just the “seating surfaces” that are leather with the sides and other areas that you don’t actually sit on are leatherette.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
CanadianLurker wrote:
Signature = Napa Leather
GT = Leather
Kuro = Leather
GS = Leatherette-trimmed upholstery with Grand Lux Suede® inserts (ie fake suede)
GX = Cloth

https://cdn.mazda.ca/common/cars/brochu ... 1625345476
Seems GT = Leather trimmed only, ie only leather on seating surface.

I'll call Mazda Canada on Monday to see what they say.
Will also ask about the Napa Leather - is that "trimmed "as well?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
TorontoCarGuy wrote: Hey, as a Mazda CX-30 driver the leather seats feel really nice ...........
For some reason the Mazdadealer steered me away from the CX-30 and towards the CX-5,claims the CX-30 was too small.

I intially went in to check out the Mazda-3 since I didn't want an SUV,but the Mazda-3 is definitely too small and too noisy; ride is also bumpy.
So I tried the CX-5 which is bigger and the ride is better - still noisy on the 401

But this afternoon I took a closer look at the CX-30 specs and interior size is actually much closer to the CX-5 than the Mazda-3, so size wise and price wise that might suit me better.
Need to check that out on Monday.

Did you ever consider the CX-5 instad of the CX-30?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
krs wrote: Seems GT = Leather trimmed only, ie only leather on seating surface.

I'll call Mazda Canada on Monday to see what they say.
Will also ask about the Napa Leather - is that "trimmed "as well?
Yes, both will just be “seating surfaces”. This is the standard, even in most so-called luxury brands. Your old Fusion would be the same as the brochure only mentions “leather trimmed”.

Canadian Brochure: https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/broc ... fusion.pdf
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Are there any new promotions coming out?
I'm still considering a CX-3 later this summer but could jump on it if a decent promotion came out though.

I think the dealer recommended the CX-5 because it's better commission for him ;)

What did you decide on?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
CanadianLurker wrote: Your old Fusion would be the same as the brochure only mentions “leather trimmed”.
Yes - but the quality of the leather is much better than the 2021 Mazda CX-5 I test-drove.
Dec 8, 2019
213 posts
407 upvotes
krs wrote: For some reason the Mazdadealer steered me away from the CX-30 and towards the CX-5,claims the CX-30 was too small.

I intially went in to check out the Mazda-3 since I didn't want an SUV,but the Mazda-3 is definitely too small and too noisy; ride is also bumpy.
So I tried the CX-5 which is bigger and the ride is better - still noisy on the 401

But this afternoon I took a closer look at the CX-30 specs and interior size is actually much closer to the CX-5 than the Mazda-3, so size wise and price wise that might suit me better.

I went in to buy a CX-5 and walked out buying a CX-30. The size difference was marginal (imo) but the turbo engine felt much more responsive and great on the CX-30.

PS If you are conscious about fuel economy steer clear from the Turbo. Im getting 100km/11ltr :(
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
sheryar wrote: I went in to buy a CX-5 and walked out buying a CX-30. The size difference was marginal (imo) but the turbo engine felt much more responsive and great on the CX-30.

PS If you are conscious about fuel economy steer clear from the Turbo. Im getting 100km/11ltr :(
Really? On big Atlas 7 seaters, I averaged 7.6 if driven like Grandma; otherwise averaged 9.8 consistently throughout the trip with 2 litre Turbo engine.

Small displacement Turbo is supposed to be lighter and fuel efficient since it is four cylinders that is torquey without reving hard to achieve power on higher rpms.

Maybe you don’t know how to use turbo efficiently. You can’t drive like V6 since it is too much torquey and you have to use it wisely to achieve better fuel efficiency. Check out on YouTube on how to drive turbocharged.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
sheryar wrote: I went in to buy a CX-5 and walked out buying a CX-30. The size difference was marginal (imo) but the turbo engine felt much more responsive and great on the CX-30.
Interesting!
Is the quality of the interior and the features pretty much the same between the CX-5 and the CX-30?
We were planning to get the regular engine anyway - no turbo.
Did you get a 2021? Does that still have cylinder deactivation?
My brother-in-law bought a 2020 CX-5 and is really keen on that for better gas mileage.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
krs wrote: For some reason the Mazdadealer steered me away from the CX-30 and towards the CX-5,claims the CX-30 was too small.

Nothing wrong with the cx30. As long as you don't need the extra space of the CX-5.

It's popular among urban dwellers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
MalikBrother wrote: Check out on YouTube on how to drive turbocharged.
There is a special way to drive with a turbo????
I had a 4 cylinder turbo both with my 1999 Audi A6 and my 2014 Ford Fusion.
Drove both like any other car before that without a turbo.
Turbo is supposed to kick in only when you need it.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
krs wrote: There is a special way to drive with a turbo????
For normal cars no. No need to do anything special since a typical normal driving scenario, the car was engineered with this in mind. Only the lead foot heavy people will see poorer results.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
The rule is the same as a regular car. The harder you press the pedal, the more gas you will burn.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
With turbocharged, you burn more fuels compared to natural aspirated engine due to low end torque. Some people had hard time at first but adjusted nicely in time and got better fuel economy.

With turbo, you burn more or less than natural aspirated engine depending on how you drive.

I checked on YouTube where one reviewer managed to net 34 mpg in this engine but granted it was small hatchback with awd. But with suv, you may burn more fuel due to size and drag efficient.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18998 upvotes
Uhhh a turbo isn't nitrous lol, it's a turbo. Boost pressure follows throttle more than anything else, particularly in modern turbocharged engines which have small, virtually instant spooling turbos, from factory. You can easily hit peak boost pressure without accelerating very quickly by being in "too high a gear" and having a large throttle opening. (Note it's not good to lug the engine like this regularly but it's quite easy to demonstrate/see this if you have a boost gauge.)

It's not like "VTEC just kicked in yo", it's a turbo which is always working provided exhaust is flowing through it and the engine has load on it.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
-------------
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
CoolDudeClan wrote: That is not how turbos work, at all.
You're right.
Stupid comment on my part.

I was just trying to get the message across that I drove these turbo cars I owned like any other car without a turbo (because there was a comment made earlier how a turbo equipped car needs to be driven in some special way)
Dec 24, 2018
932 posts
1171 upvotes
Canada
MalikBrother wrote: With turbocharged, you burn more fuels compared to natural aspirated engine due to low end torque. Some people had hard time at first but adjusted nicely in time and got better fuel economy.

With turbo, you burn more or less than natural aspirated engine depending on how you drive.

I checked on YouTube where one reviewer managed to net 34 mpg in this engine but granted it was small hatchback with awd. But with suv, you may burn more fuel due to size and drag efficient.
Really? So explain why a jetta with a 1.4 turbocharged engine gets better fuel economy than mazda 3 without turbo? My friend has a 2021 Audi A4 and if he drives gently, without AC, he was able to get 6.4 litres (fuel: 91 octane) on the hwy. My mom has a V6 Mitsubish Outlander 2020 the lowest I got on it, with everything turned off, was 10.2 litres on a hwy (89 octane). I drove Mazda CX-3 and 2018 and it was averaging around 7 litres on a hwy, although that car is a midget when compared to A4. Rear legroom is non existent, and if you are over 6 feet then you might as well walk. My point here is that there are multiple factors involved and you can't just say that turbo engines are less fuel efficient (that's a plain BS). As for the person who has Mazda cx-30 with a turbo engine and is averaging 11 litres per 100 km, your main problem is the gearbox. 6-speed transmissions are a dying breed and belong with the dinosaurs, but surprisingly Mazda keeps putting them in even to this day. If I were you, I'd go with a 6 speed manual instead, but mazda doesn't make cx-30 with a manual configuration.