Automotive

Mazda end of lease - dealer wants to charge $699 admin fee?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2021 10:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2382 posts
140 upvotes

Mazda end of lease - dealer wants to charge $699 admin fee?

My lease is coming to an end.  I plan to purchase and keep the vehicle.  I will pay for it outright (no re-financing), and I will not be leasing or buying another vehicle at the moment.  The dealer says there is a $699 fee to process paperwork.  I do understand that aside from the vehicle residual value, I have to pay for Safety certificate and any Ministry licensing fees.  But to tack on a $699 fee?  

I called Mazda Financial Services but they said they do not process end-of-leases directly with consumers. 
 
Can anyone suggest a dealer that is willing to waive this fee and earn my future business?  I am in Toronto. 
52 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 3, 2009
579 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
shop ahoy wrote: My lease is coming to an end.  I plan to purchase and keep the vehicle.  I will pay for it outright (no re-financing), and I will not be leasing or buying another vehicle at the moment.  The dealer says there is a $699 fee to process paperwork.  I do understand that aside from the vehicle residual value, I have to pay for Safety certificate and any Ministry licensing fees.  But to tack on a $699 fee?  

I called Mazda Financial Services but they said they do not process end-of-leases directly with consumers. 
 
Can anyone suggest a dealer that is willing to waive this fee and earn my future business?  I am in Toronto. 
I think in general every dealership would charge some sort of admin fee. The only difference would be how much they charge.

Best to just call around and ask what fees each dealer is charging.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12331 posts
8747 upvotes
Edmonton
shop ahoy wrote: My lease is coming to an end.  I plan to purchase and keep the vehicle.  I will pay for it outright (no re-financing), and I will not be leasing or buying another vehicle at the moment.  The dealer says there is a $699 fee to process paperwork.  I do understand that aside from the vehicle residual value, I have to pay for Safety certificate and any Ministry licensing fees.  But to tack on a $699 fee?  

I called Mazda Financial Services but they said they do not process end-of-leases directly with consumers. 
 
Can anyone suggest a dealer that is willing to waive this fee and earn my future business?  I am in Toronto. 
IF you were buying another vehicle right away, you might find a dealer willing to eat some or all of the fee. But as you said, you're not planning on buying or leasing another vehicle right now, and it's going to be tough to find a dealer that's willing to bank on your goodwill in a few years. Still might be able to find one that's lower in cost, though.

C
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2015
951 posts
1111 upvotes
Canada
Check you lease agreement. How much does it say in the agreement?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2382 posts
140 upvotes
It says $0.00 But - I had taken over the lease, and the original dealer is 160 kms away roundtrip. I called MFS first, but they do not process end-of-lease directly with consumers. I called a local dealer, and they said $699, even for their own leases. To justify the fee, this dealer claims it involves a two part process - the ownership goes from the leasing company to the dealership, and then from the dealership to me.
Last edited by shop ahoy on Jun 9th, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3311 posts
2072 upvotes
Montreal
I'd drive 160KM for $699.
Member
User avatar
Oct 25, 2011
381 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Ask them to discount it to $500 bucks and call it a day. Every dealership charges to buyout the car.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2382 posts
140 upvotes
I read in another thread where some people dealt with Honda Financial Services directly for their end-of-lease purchase and was able to avoid the fee. Was hoping Mazda would be the same, but apparently not.
Sr. Member
Oct 4, 2010
637 posts
273 upvotes
Surrey
how many more weeks/payments do you have until your lease ends?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2016
1064 posts
937 upvotes
ON
Strangely Nissan Finance actually encourages you to deal directly with them. In the letter, after explaining how to do the lease buy out process with them, they end by saying if you do this process through your dealership then they will charge you an administrative fees.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2382 posts
140 upvotes
Holystone wrote: Strangely Nissan Finance actually encourages you to deal directly with them. In the letter, after explaining how to do the lease buy out process with them, they end by saying if you do this process through your dealership then they will charge you an administrative fees.
So Nissan encourages you to deal direct
Honda doesn't publicizes but allows you to do it
Mazda doesn't allow it.

Should remember to factor that $$$ in when getting into a lease next time.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29104 posts
9618 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: I'd drive 160KM for $699.
Just make sure they aren't going to charge you an admin fee as well, before you make the trip lol. But yeah 160km round-trip is nothing. That's like an hour and a half's worth of driving round trip.
shop ahoy wrote: So Nissan encourages you to deal direct
Honda doesn't publicizes but allows you to do it
Mazda doesn't allow it.

Should remember to factor that $$$ in when getting into a lease next time.
Most people leasing don't lease-to-own so this is why this isn't very well publicised or at least few people ever mention it when you look for "car shopping tips".

But yes "admin fees" are pretty common on lease buyouts.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11743 posts
4045 upvotes
Toronto
No dealership will waive that admin fee for that lease buyout (unless agreed prior and in writing)

Even you go back to the dealer you got the car fro, they wouldn't waive it. It is a matter for how much they charge? $499? $599 or $699

It sounds steep, but dealership won't work for nothing, they have to pay their staff to do the paper works for you + their own profit.

I remember I pay around $500 at Erin Mills Mazda when I bought out my lease 10 years ago, not surprise the fee gone up since then.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11743 posts
4045 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote: I'd drive 160KM for $699.
No body said that dealer which is 160km away is waving the fee.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2011
1767 posts
1661 upvotes
Toronto
$699 is excessively high.

$299 is the going rate, but you might find most upped to $499 these days.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11256 posts
9746 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote: how many more weeks/payments do you have until your lease ends?
feel like this should be a thread title.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
20552 posts
7689 upvotes
Socially Distanced
They get you coming, they get you going :rolleyes:
I'd shop around, even call up the original dealership. 80km away is an hour depending on your proximity to the center of the universe.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1434 posts
1830 upvotes
Only leased a vehicule once and that was with VW. Returned to car to local dealer and was never charged any sort of fee. Didn't buy a car from them afterwards either.


699 is insane. That's probably more profit than they made selling you the car in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5172 posts
4233 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: They get you coming, they get you going :rolleyes:
I'd shop around, even call up the original dealership. 80km away is an hour depending on your proximity to the center of the universe.
To be fair, the dealer he went to that wanted $699 never made any money on the sale, of course they're not going to process the buyout process for free.

Though$699 is pretty high for a Mazda

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

GDoxta