• Nov 17th, 2015 12:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2010
1042 posts
338 upvotes
Edmonton
I thought the Fit came from Japan? It was damn near impossible to find them after the tsunami in 2011
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
Trav wrote: I thought the Fit came from Japan? It was damn near impossible to find them after the tsunami in 2011
They used to, but when the Japanese yen was rising all Canadian spec Honda Fits came from China. US spec Fits however still came from Japan.
Messerschmitt wrote: only mazdas (last time I checked) came from japan
That will change, this new Mazda 2 is going to come from Mexico.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1261 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The new Mazda 2 is definitely worth waiting for. I sat in it at the Autoshow last week and was really impressed with the interior for a sub-compact car.
The back seat legroom is a little tight compared to a Versa or Fit however.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Messerschmitt wrote: only mazdas (last time I checked) came from japan
Do they manufacture there exclusively? Wonder why they don't set up shop in NA but then again, their sales probably don't justify it.

Kia/Hyunda are still Korea only as well, if I'm not mistaken.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: Do they manufacture there exclusively? Wonder why they don't set up shop in NA but then again, their sales probably don't justify it.

Kia/Hyunda are still Korea only as well, if I'm not mistaken.
not sure about kia, but for hyundai, a few of their vehicles are made in the states.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
trixstar wrote: not sure about kia, but for hyundai, a few of their vehicles are made in the states.
Just one manufacturing plant in NA so far for Kia as below. But I'm sure that will change with the increasing popularity.

Kia’s corporate presence in North America includes its Canadian headquarters and Ontario regional office in Mississauga, Ontario, with regional offices in Halifax, Vancouver and a brand new state-of-the art facility in Montreal. Additionally, the company has research and design centres in Ann Arbor, Michigan, California City and Irvine, California, as well as Kia’s North American production facility in West Point, Georgia, which opened its doors in 2010 producing a total of 360,000 units, including the Sorento SUV and award-winning Optima mid-size sedan.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Nissan also manufacturers their Micra in Mexico for NA sales.

May be they will make more models there and reserve their Z/GTR for Japan. Makes you wonder how the health of manufacturing is in Japan with all these companies going to Mexico.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
when a relative of mine was buying a car she was quoted the highest insurance rate for honda fit ... next was Toyota yaris ....cheapest was Nissan versa.

for her cheaper insurance was the reason for the purchase.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
8355 posts
2267 upvotes
GTA
thesk8man wrote: when a relative of mine was buying a car she was quoted the highest insurance rate for honda fit ... next was Toyota yaris ....cheapest was Nissan versa.

for her cheaper insurance was the reason for the purchase.
I found that 2015 Honda Fit has lower insurance rate than the previous model year. When did she run that rate and on which model?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Supercooled wrote: What are you talking about, hombre? 13 airbags means they're serious about safety for their occupants. You would probably feel like you're in a pillow fight when someone hits you.
No, it means they tried squeezing 4 occupants into a tiny space allowing for no real protection.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: IQ seats 4
2 + 2 amputees.
CoolDudeClan wrote: So now airbags are a bad thing?
You think all those airbags come for free? Besides, if you ever need them, your car (at the very least) is an expensive write-off. Best to never need an airbag in the first place - by avoiding accidents.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1201 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Have a look at the Ford Fiesta as well. Excellent little thing that is a hoot to drive.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
pulkit10 wrote: Have a look at the Ford Fiesta as well. Excellent little thing that is a hoot to drive.
That statement only applies to the ST.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
I ended up getting a Kia forte. The sub compacts discussed all were too small for my height. Forte was more than big enough and seemed like the best bang for my buck at the moment (considering warranty etc). I basically got down to considering the mazda3, but the dealer wasnt giving much in the pricing department, Honda covic, but their sales dept is too high pressure. They have been leaving me 1-2 messages daily even on weekends and I just don't appreciate it. Plus not a big fan of the design of the dash etc. but seemed like a decent but otherwise.

Forte was just right. Size and features for the price.

Oh. And went to Ford to see a fiesta St (if I would have fit) but they would only show me some focuses they wanted to get rid of. Lol.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
redgrandam wrote: I ended up getting a Kia forte. The sub compacts discussed all were too small for my height. Forte was more than big enough and seemed like the best bang for my buck at the moment (considering warranty etc). I basically got down to considering the mazda3, but the dealer wasnt giving much in the pricing department, Honda covic, but their sales dept is too high pressure. They have been leaving me 1-2 messages daily even on weekends and I just don't appreciate it. Plus not a big fan of the design of the dash etc. but seemed like a decent but otherwise.

Forte was just right. Size and features for the price.

Oh. And went to Ford to see a fiesta St (if I would have fit) but they would only show me some focuses they wanted to get rid of. Lol.
You should have looked at the Sonic. They look to have decent headroom for their size.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Tornado F2 wrote: You should have looked at the Sonic. They look to have decent headroom for their size.
I've always bought gm cars, but recent experiences with the company (dealerships and service depts) as well as many recurring problems with the vehicles themselves has forced us to not even consider buying gm again, at least for the foreseeable future.

Usually I have a problem with leg room (as long as the seat height adjusts). My right knee often hits the console or the steering column or key.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
redgrandam wrote: I've always bought gm cars, but recent experiences with the company (dealerships and service depts) as well as many recurring problems with the vehicles themselves has forced us to not even consider buying gm again, at least for the foreseeable future.

Usually I have a problem with leg room (as long as the seat height adjusts). My right knee often hits the console or the steering column or key.
Yeah, the dealership - or rather their service guy - where I bought mine successfully lost my repeat business. Slow work, topped off by paint damage (which they denied being responsible for), along with an obviously incompetent PDI (if they actually performed one at all - they certainly billed for it), drove me elsewhere. Another GM dealership is doing okay so far though. It seems all brands have good and bad dealerships. It may just come down to the service guy you deal with.

The car itself has been reliable enough so far, but not the original tires for whatever reason.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Tornado F2 wrote: Yeah, the dealership - or rather their service guy - where I bought mine successfully lost my repeat business. Slow work, topped off by paint damage (which they denied being responsible for), along with an obviously incompetent PDI (if they actually performed one at all - they certainly billed for it), drove me elsewhere. Another GM dealership is doing okay so far though. It seems all brands have good and bad dealerships. It may just come down to the service guy you deal with.

The car itself has been reliable enough so far, but not the original tires for whatever reason.
Absolutely. The second gm dealer I've been using more recently is a bit better in their attitude at least but still slow for basic oil changes and work.

On Top of that I had to wait a full YEAR for a simple ignition key they had promised me. Unbelievable. That ontop of the many many repeat suspension repairs on our last car of the same repeat problems (some done at dealer some at other shops) instills no faith. And then there is the ignition recall madness.

But your right it depends a lot on the specific dealer. The Kia dealer I'm going to, I have a friend that has gone there for years and can't say enough good about them.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
redgrandam wrote: Absolutely. The second gm dealer I've been using more recently is a bit better in their attitude at least but still slow for basic oil changes and work.

On Top of that I had to wait a full YEAR for a simple ignition key they had promised me. Unbelievable. That ontop of the many many repeat suspension repairs on our last car of the same repeat problems (some done at dealer some at other shops) instills no faith. And then there is the ignition recall madness.

But your right it depends a lot on the specific dealer. The Kia dealer I'm going to, I have a friend that has gone there for years and can't say enough good about them.
Could you expand on that? It might explain my tire issue. I don't want to buy a new set and see them wear out quickly too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)