• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2020 10:56 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which executive MBA would you take, and consider most reputable?

• Total votes: 18. You have voted on this poll.
Ivey MBA

39%
Rotman MBA

39%
Kellogg-Shulich MBA

22%

Poll ended at May 5th, 2020 10:20 am

[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote

MBA Feedback

Hello Looking for any input on feedback from the follow 3 executive MBA programs.

1. Ivey - MBA
2. Rotman - MBA
3. Kellogg-Schulich

Any feedback on the following would be greatly appreciated;

Brand Recognition in Canada and Abroad?

Best MBA for career progression and or transition?

Best Alumni support / network?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1380 posts
1214 upvotes
BigD123 wrote: Hello Looking for any input on feedback from the follow 3 executive MBA programs.

1. Ivey - MBA
2. Rotman - MBA
3. Kellogg-Schulich

Any feedback on the following would be greatly appreciated;

Brand Recognition in Canada and Abroad?

Best MBA for career progression and or transition?

Best Alumni support / network?
You should provide info on current experience, what you it career goals are and what you are hoping to get out of each of these programs. Otherwise your question is too vague.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for your note,

12 years in supply chain, past number of years in Director level positions.

Looking to potentially work abroad in the US/UK for international experience. Furthermore eventually progress into VP.

Looking to get a solid network out of the program through Alumni as well as have brand recognition.

Thank you
Apr 25, 2019
270 posts
112 upvotes
BigD123 wrote: Thanks for your note,

Looking to potentially work abroad in the US/UK for international experience. Furthermore eventually progress into VP.

Looking to get a solid network out of the program through Alumni as well as have brand recognition.

Thank you
Haven't don't an MBA but going through various forums with grad school information I figured out Canadian schools are not favored internationally. If you want to work in US/UK then better to get a degree from M7 schools.
Sep 28, 2013
686 posts
406 upvotes
If you want to work in the US, there is zero reason to go to an Canadian school. I went to one of the schools you listed (for a regular MBA) and I'm telling you this. lol
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6098 posts
3072 upvotes
Vancouver
dentonic88 wrote: Haven't don't an MBA but going through various forums with grad school information I figured out Canadian schools are not favored internationally. If you want to work in US/UK then better to get a degree from M7 schools.
Does it help if you go to one of the Canadian/USA partnered ones? (e.g. Queen's/Cornell)
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
90 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: Does it help if you go to one of the Canadian/USA partnered ones? (e.g. Queen's/Cornell)
Cornell is in top 15 MBA programs in the US so I would certainly take this over Ivey and Rotman if OP wants to work internationally.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Is Kellogg not a top tiered US school for a joint degree?
Sep 28, 2013
686 posts
406 upvotes
With all due respect, no-one in their right minds would grant equal credibility to a Schulich-Kellog EMBA as they would to a Kellogg EMBA.

I will throw out there than an EMBA isn't a great path for career switching if that's solely what you're after.
Feb 19, 2009
586 posts
77 upvotes
USA
BigD123 wrote: Thanks for your note,

Thank you
I know some EMBA programs are weekend or evening only. At this time they're probably all online too which works to your advantage which means you're probably location-agnostic now if you plan to keep working. I've heard good things about the EMBA at Berkeley Haas and Columbia in NYC. Don't go to school in Canada after working in Canada in order to work broad - not that it can't be done but it doesn't make sense given you have options to choose from.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4282 posts
3070 upvotes
Doesn't really matter - they're all the same. Regardless, what you're really paying for is the brand not the education or experience....it's all marketing and in the end quite superficial.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2877 posts
282 upvotes
You're kind of in an 'awkward' position for someone looking to do a Canadian MBA. You're already at an intermediate/senior position and looking to move upwards within the same industry. Whereas, most students doing a Canadian MBA have much less experience, and are looking to switch career/industry, looking to break into their career, did their 2 years in an entry analyst role and need MBA to further move up. With your background, most of their classmates will look to network with you, not the other way around. :)
It doesn't sound like you want to switch to Investment Banking or Consulting industries, so I am not sure how much worth the actual MBA will be for you in the end.
Maybe an executive MBA in Canada will provide the networking and meeting fellow classmates that are similar in your career progression.
If you are looking to move internationally, then a Canadian MBA will do nothing to improve nor harm. Consider an US or other well known international MBA program.

At your level, the networking you need shouldn't come from going back to school. You should already have build up enough industry networks, so continue to mine those opportunities. Another option is to see if your company will sponsor you to do an executive MBA program?
[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Thank you Commie for you reply, wise words.

Appreciate everyone's input on the forum.
Jan 18, 2018
31 posts
185 upvotes
BigD123 wrote: Hello Looking for any input on feedback from the follow 3 executive MBA programs.
It depends who's paying for your MBA. If it's your employer paying for it then go with whatever they suggest. If it's you paying for it, then go where you can get the best price and network with people who can help you in your career, even if it means going to a lesser known place. An MBA is a degree for professionals who don't have, but need a degree.
Nov 13, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes
If you research the top b school in the world, of those three Kellogg (even if it is a joint degree) would give you the best brand recognition. Speaking from personal experience, if your aspirations are to work in the u.s., BRAND does matter and people's identities are shaped around their alma mater's. Employers tend to recruit and support certain schools.

It sounds like you are doing your research on this already but I would really start with talking with alumni from each school and get varied opinions on the good/bad for each. I also think your comparing apples and oranges, for domestic options, I think Ivey & Rotman are likely the best programs but if you are looking at international options, then Kellogg-Schulich and Cornell-Queens should be your other options.

Hope that helps