MBA? Where and was it worth it? ROI?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2021 4:40 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
Toad99 wrote: The last thing I would like to recommend prior to jumping into an MBA is look into rotational leadership programs. Insurance, banking and various FIs offer these competitive programs that a allow you wide exposure to many sides of the business and various LOBs. The programs are designed to accelerate you through multiple positions that usually require 3-5yrs experience to get, and are grooming you to go into managerial positions. This may be an avenue you want to consider, then once you get into these managerial positions, you could subsidize your MBA through work (most FI and FSI companies have a allotment setup for taking programs/degrees)
+1 get into an international insurance company, and you can learn so much about different businesses. The barrier to entry is also not as high (less demand), with better hours and potentially better pay.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2010
2192 posts
3572 upvotes
Toronto
From what I've seen, MBA is generally a negative investment (cost of time and $) unless it's from a top tier MBA program (eg. ones not in Canada).

I've been interviewing managers/analysts over the past 2 years and a lot of candidates are MBAs. Do I value them more because they have an MBA? No, I rarely even take notice of their MBA unless they have an irrelevant bachelors and the MBA is the bridging gap in education to the job. I (and my managers) rather have someone with a good personality and work experience.

I also have friends in university who did MBAs right after their bachelors. That is the worst thing you can do, it added nothing to their qualifications. Most of these people are the ones earning the least out of the graduating class after 10, 15 years.

But my friends who went to schools like Insead and MIT (after working for 5+ years first) have gotten great consulting roles that propelled their careers. So, that's really where MBA can shine IMO.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
jillaryit wrote: From what I've seen, MBA is generally a negative investment (cost of time and $) unless it's from a top tier MBA program (eg. ones not in Canada).

I've been interviewing managers/analysts over the past 2 years and a lot of candidates are MBAs. Do I value them more because they have an MBA? No, I rarely even take notice of their MBA unless they have an irrelevant bachelors and the MBA is the bridging gap in education to the job. I (and my managers) rather have someone with a good personality and work experience.

I also have friends in university who did MBAs right after their bachelors. That is the worst thing you can do, it added nothing to their qualifications. Most of these people are the ones earning the least out of the graduating class after 10, 15 years.

But my friends who went to schools like Insead and MIT (after working for 5+ years first) have gotten great consulting roles that propelled their careers. So, that's really where MBA can shine IMO.
Definitely a negative. But like the lottery, it's easy to focus on the winners.
Sep 28, 2013
836 posts
624 upvotes
I went to Ivey in Canada which definitely helped my career. I think my outcome is definitely better than average but can say the NPV for almost all classmates was positive (when viewed over a career perspective). Definitely not as good as top 10 US schools though - that said, it can be pretty tricky to stay in the US once your OPT has run out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)