MBNA Cards with BT Promo's
Why consider going for a different card? MBNA will probably not let the same cardholder acquire more than one of the same card. Here we can shuffle the deck and keep our high balances with MBNA.
- Lakehead University, source code CQ9801
- Nipissing U, source code CRBY01
- TrueLine no-AF QC offer 0.99%/10 months with $0 BT fee source code DABZ87
TrueLine GR exclusive offer is now dead. TL;DR if Rest of Canada, grab one of the two affinity cards. Else (if QC) grab the TL offer (until that one dies).
- TrueLine No-AF, source code DABK01 (unadvertised), or blog link, source code DABK05
- TrueLine Gold ($39 AF), source code DABL06
This list probably won't be kept up to date as quickly. Any of the school cards found on this page used to offer intro BT promo's, now instead they're all 2% G/G/Resto cards.
- TrueLine Gold, source code DABK21 - note that there's a $39 AF, but also a GCR offer
- Edit: SmartCash currently doesn't offer BT promo WB. Two options old link no-AF source code DABK89 or old link $39 AF source code DABK99
- Best Western, source code now DABS68, old codes DAAB84; DAAC01, grab on GCR
- Harley-Davidson, source code CQZT01, grab on GCR
- Maple Leafs, source code CQ7N01
- CFL, source code CQ9N01
- Blue Jays
- UofVictoria, source code CQ2N01
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Western Bank, source code CQ4N01
- NCIC, source code CRA301
- Université de Moncton rewards card, source code CRHN01
- Edmonton Eskimos, source code CQ3N01
- Ottawa Redblacks, source code DAAB74
- Lifesaving Society, source code DAAC74; DAAC76; DAAC78; DAAC80; DAAC82
- IEEE, source code DAAC72
- RPNAO, source code CO8L01
When you want a new BT offer, make sure you apply for a different card than the one you have. Then, pay off your current balance, move CL to the new card, and borrow again.
Note: mostly imported from the old Plat Plus thread
- How to get these offers: these are intro offers. Existing cardholders may get offers (targetted, card-specific, random, etc.) but most of us churn for intro BT offers since they tend to be better than offers extended to existing cardholders
- How to apply: via MBNA website (use links posted above), affiliate links (GCR, RSM, GR, etc.) or via phone by calling 1-877-428-6060. For phone app, be sure to quote source code
- Apply online vs. phone: online required to get affiliate incentive (if any). Do check affiliate offers, though they tend to be less competitive than the offers in this thread. If applying via phone, be sure to reference source code as that may affect the intro BT offer
- Approved but with low limit: ask credit analyst whether they can have it increased
- How long until card lands in mailbox: 7-10 business days upon approval
- Request BT prior to receiving card: there is no advantage in doing so. Upon getting the card, sign up online, book the BT, and hang tight. Optionally call in to have statement date changed. This can extend your BT promo by a couple weeks if done right
- Any way to negate the BT fee: No. BT offers are sadly getting less competitive in Canada since the grandfathering of the Plat Plus 0%/12 months card. Heck, even BNS has devalued BT offer on Value VISA from 0.99%/6 months to 1.99%/6 months. MBNA is strict about not waiving the BT fee, so it'd be one heck of an escalation to result in getting that amount credited
- How much can one BT: to not incur overage fee, BT up to CL including the BT fee. If arranging the BT via phone, they'll insist on leaving min $500 of unused CL after BT+fee
- How long for recipient deposit or credit account to receive the BT deposit: 2-5 business days
- BT Promo Start: must initiate within 90 days of card approval. Starts upon request and ends on Nth statement in
- Using BT card for spend: don't do it. Payments to the card will proportionally work down BT & spend balances, meaning unless you'd off in full, spend balance will incur regular interest. Once BT is arranged and card is added in bill pay, best to drawer the card. Yes, the bill payments can be done via PayTM. Topic further discussed in this thread.
- What can be done with BT money: rather off-topic, but good options are TFSA's at Manitoban credit unions (unless TFSA is maxed out), HISA musical chairs (non-reg) and write off the BT fee against your taxes, other possible investments within your level of comfort, etc.
- Minimum payment: $10, plus fees and interest. First payment will be $10+BT fee. Note that this will be higher for QC residents
- Missing min payments: don't miss min payment. Missing min payment results in promo rate dropping early. For first offense, make an immediate payment, then call in and hopefully CSR will empathize and put the promo back on
- Possible extension: probably not. Not paying off the balance on time at promo's end is a good source of revenue for the issuer. Time to look for BT offers elsewhere, or pay off with uLOC if you have to, then apply for another BT card, move CL over, and get back in the game
- BT fee increase: BT fee can be anywhere between 1-3% (aside QC now 0% BT fee, but 1-3% interest) via intro offers or offers to existing cardholders. Be sure to read the T&C under app link when you apply
OLD 0%/10 months LIST
Many broken links here.
- Athabasca University PP source code DAAL99
- OREA source code DAAV92
- Re/Max source code DAAN01. Not to be confused with the card linked on MBNA website source code DABL46 which is a 2% G/G/Resto card but no intro BT offer
- Algonquin, source code CRAT01 - found by @Arkaine
- Centennial College, source code DAAM36 - found by @mark2000
- Fanshawe, source code CRA601 - found by @Arkaine
- Sheridan, source code CRA401, CRA501
- Université de Moncton, source code CRA701, CRA801. Note, this card appears to only be available in French. Since it's for balance transfers, if you're ok to get the card documents in French, should still be able to manage the card online in either language.
- CAUT, source code CRA901
- CAUT, source code DAAM12
- Conestoga College, source code DAAM48
- Durham, source code DAAM56
- Université de Moncton, source code CRA701, CRA801. Note, this card appears to only be available in French. Since it's for balance transfers, if you're ok to get the card documents in French, should still be able to manage the card online in either language. Université de Moncton has an evil twin...
- University of New Brunswick - source code CQ2J01
- Ryerson University, source code CQ2801 - thank you @BengaliPrince