Personal Finance

MBNA Credit department wants to verify my info

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2012 10:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2006
819 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton

MBNA Credit department wants to verify my info

Has anyone else got a letter requesting the MBNA mastercard user to go to the post office with a piece of picture ID, and get the person at the post office counter authenticate the ID, after which the ID # (eg passport number or Driver's licence number) are written on the form and sent back to the MBNA credit office? If you do not do that within 30 days of receiving the letter, they state that your MBNA card will be cancelled and you have to make payment immediately on the outstanding balance. As I had used the card only for a balance transfer, and pay $10 per month, the amount I need to pay back would be over $20,000!

The letter is sent out by "Enterprise Solutions Group Ottawa" 8320 STN T CSC Ottawa K1G 3H8. They give a phone number for the Credit Department as 1 888 842 6932. I called this number and it did say it was the MBNA office. I spoke with a person called "Dave" and he said the letter was genuine, and not a scam, and that its a glitch in their system for mastercards issued in the latter part of 2008.

Has anyone else received such a letter? Does anyone know what to do?

Please help!

Thank you in advance.
62 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 9, 2005
820 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds incredibly strange, at least I've never heard of such a thing. The easiest thing to do is call MBNA, not using the number they gave you, but the number on the back of your card. Ask them what's going on.

If it is a scam, of course whomever answers the phone on the number they gave you is going to say it is MBNA.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2399 posts
360 upvotes
Mei Yee wrote: I called this number and it did say it was the MBNA office. I spoke with a person called "Dave" and he said the letter was genuine, and not a scam, and that its a glitch in their system for mastercards issued in the latter part of 2008.
Looks like you aren't the only one who got that letter:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost9350897
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2006
819 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for your quick replies! Hubby just phoned the "regular" MBNA number per the Bank Statement and the guy (strange) said that that credit card number did not come up - Duh - we make payments on THAT account! The MBNA guy asked for our phone number, at which time the line got disconnected.... STRANGE!!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54686 posts
19493 upvotes
Mei Yee wrote: Has anyone else got a letter requesting the MBNA mastercard user to go to the post office with a piece of picture ID, and get the person at the post office counter authenticate the ID, after which the ID # (eg passport number or Driver's licence number) are written on the form and sent back to the MBNA credit office?
Strange. Between my wife and I, we have applied for at least 5 different MBNA credit cards and never were we asked for a picture ID, passport number or driver's license.

Sounds fishy to me since all they need to pull up is your credit report when approving/disapproving an application. Why the need for follow up verification when you've been paying into the card all along?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 23, 2005
8717 posts
5036 upvotes
Yes, at times you will be asked for such proof.

Now at my bank, this is mainly only done when someone is applying for new CC and the credit dept needs to further verify the person for AML (anti-money laundering) purposes.

Nothing really strange there .. just general procedure.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2006
819 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
Called again. The person answering the phone at the MBNA number on the Statement said he had never heard of "Enterprise Solutions Group Ottawa".

I am going to try and call again tomorrow and see if I can speak to someone in their security department or their credit department.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2006
819 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
Salinger wrote: If it is a scam, of course whomever answers the phone on the number they gave you is going to say it is MBNA.
Ha ha - I agree. I only realised AFTER I had called what a dumb move that had been! :confused: Hubby and I had a good chuckle at me!!
Newbie
Sep 9, 2009
7 posts
Vancouver Island
Hi Mei Yee,
I have also received something from the "Enterprise Solutions Group" in Ottawa, but I did not accept it as Canada Post said that I needed to provide my Drivers License number which would be relayed back to the sender. Here's what happened ........

We received in the mail today one of those Delivery Notices from Canada Post to pickup something at the post office. When I went to the Terminal Park post office, there was a letter there for us, but when she scanned it to release it from their computer a message came up that said:
Sr. Member
Apr 9, 2008
542 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Mei Yee wrote: Thanks for your quick replies! Hubby just phoned the "regular" MBNA number per the Bank Statement and the guy (strange) said that that credit card number did not come up - Duh - we make payments on THAT account! The MBNA guy asked for our phone number, at which time the line got disconnected.... STRANGE!!!!
Only call the number on the back of your card or on the MBNA website, because the statement can be a scam, they may even changed the phone number on your statement.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2006
819 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
[quote="gharwig" post_id="9402738" time="1252629067" user_id="256542"]Hi Mei Yee,
I have also received something from the "Enterprise Solutions Group" in Ottawa, but I did not accept it as Canada Post said that I needed to provide my Drivers License number which would be relayed back to the sender. Here's what happened ........

We received in the mail today one of those Delivery Notices from Canada Post to pickup something at the post office. When I went to the Terminal Park post office, there was a letter there for us, but when she scanned it to release it from their computer a message came up that said:
Newbie
Sep 9, 2009
7 posts
Vancouver Island
I have reported what information I have to the BetterBusinessBureau of Canada, to the MBNA fraud dept and phonebusters.com. I contacted our local RCMP and they recommended phonebusters.

Mei Yee, you may want to report your information as well, before someone else gets stung badly by this. I can't tell for sure that this is a scam, but it sure seems pretty fishy. For that matter, did you give your information to the guy named 'Dave' at the 1-888 number from the letter? Be very careful about this, and you may want to talk to MBNA fraud department about this.

Good luck, and I'll let you know if I hear anymore info about this,

gary
Newbie
Sep 16, 2007
68 posts
17 upvotes
Stoney Creek
GSRee wrote: Looks like you aren't the only one who got that letter:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost9350897
I have received a similar letter but on MBNA letter head with the same contact number and signed as Credit department - Canada Card Services (as indicatd in my post quoted above).
Called the number provided in the letter and week later I called the MBNA on the phone number obtained from their website. In both instances I was told the same thing "we need to verify you identity" due to discrepancy in your postal code. I was instructed to fax bank or CC statement (first conversation) and when I called the second time I spoke with senior Credit analyst and she indicated that only bank statement will be accepted. I should also mention that I offer to provide copies of my property tax or any other statement but she insisted on bank statement. That was two weeks ago... I still have not faxed that info...I'm thinking of dropping this whole thing as I feel uneasy to provide that kind of information.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2005
6838 posts
358 upvotes
Ottawa
um...I'm scared guys> :( I stupidly picked up the letter at the post office yesterday and didn't really know what it was till I signed for it. The post office person didn't ask me if I authorize that they send the sender of the letter my drivers license number so I didn't suspect anything > :( > :( I am going to report this to MBNA and not sure what else I can do. This is freaking me out......

EDIT: Just got off the phone with MBNA (called them at the mbna.ca website number 1.800.404.1319). They have confirmed that they did send me the letter and it was a proper ID procedure process they are correcting as the system they used last year when I applied for the MC wasn't proper. I spoke with a customer service rep and a senior credit analyst. So I'm going to trust them and say I didn't get scammed. The credit analyst also wrote down my feedback that if they had put MBNA in both pieces of paper in the letter it would have eased a lot of confusion and freaking out. pheww this is a load off my shoulders.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1554 posts
80 upvotes
Ottawa
setell wrote: um...I'm scared guys> :( I stupidly picked up the letter at the post office yesterday and didn't really know what it was till I signed for it. The post office person didn't ask me if I authorize that they send the sender of the letter my drivers license number so I didn't suspect anything > :( > :( I am going to report this to MBNA and not sure what else I can do. This is freaking me out......
One thing to help assuage your fear is that many people have been
receiving the same registered letter and they all admit to being MBNA
customers......so unless MBNA had a massive leak of their customer
database information and the (potential) scammers want to spend a lot
of money in registered mail costs.....what did they get in return? Your
D/L number!!!! Hell, you have to give that to send a package to the
States using Priority Post nowadays.
Newbie
Sep 10, 2009
2 posts
I just got off the phone with MBNA (called the # from the back of my card), and they are well aware of the verification program. The woman on the other end says she has been flooded with phone calls about this issue, many of them asking if it is a scam of some kind. When I asked her for more information, she gave the same story found in the letters: govt regulations require certain criteria be met when verifying ID for a bank acct, and they are trying to ensure those criteria are met for all of their customers.

If any of you are still not convinced, ill tell you that she asked me to CONFIRM information that they already had (i.e. SIN#, address etc), she never asked me to GIVE her any personal information.

Hope this puts some people at ease...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
21061 posts
3743 upvotes
YUL
cgystudent wrote: I just got off the phone with MBNA (called the # from the back of my card), and they are well aware of the verification program. The woman on the other end says she has been flooded with phone calls about this issue, many of them asking if it is a scam of some kind. When I asked her for more information, she gave the same story found in the letters: govt regulations require certain criteria be met when verifying ID for a bank acct, and they are trying to ensure those criteria are met for all of their customers.

If any of you are still not convinced, ill tell you that she asked me to CONFIRM information that they already had (i.e. SIN#, address etc), she never asked me to GIVE her any personal information.

Hope this puts some people at ease...
No, it doesn't, especially when regulars here are saying it's not legit, here you are saying it is, yet you just created an account today and have 1 post to your name. If that isn't fishy I don't know what is.

I recommend people who got that letter to PHONE that MBNA number on the back of your card and tell them about the letter you received. If they don't know what you're talking about, then clearly it's probably a phishing scam.

The only time I've been asked to SEND verification to an issuer was when I applied for an Amex personal charge card earlier this year, and I personally phoned them to check the status of my application because of a letter I received to send them a cheque in the amount of 1 dollar, and that the cheque address must match the address I used to apply for the card. I called and they verified it was true, and it even showed up in the first statement, the $1 credit, so I know it was legit. Other than that I've never heard of any other issuer requesting such info.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2005
6838 posts
358 upvotes
Ottawa
najibs wrote: No, it doesn't, especially when regulars here are saying it's not legit, here you are saying it is, yet you just created an account today and have 1 post to your name. If that isn't fishy I don't know what is.
I consider myself a regular and I was told it's legit. I called the toll free number off the MBNA website and spoke to the senior credit analyst. She even told me I applied Sept 2008 which is true so I'm going to say nothing fishy for me occured.
Newbie
Sep 9, 2009
7 posts
Vancouver Island
I am not sure what to think now, as it sounds like you guys have contacted the real MBNA with the concerns. I am also an MBNA customer, but if that is the way they want to contact me (with an unidentifiable letter from 'Enterprise Solutions Group' that I must provide a piece of my identity to even open the letter), then I will be quickly terminating my business with MBNA. My letter is still sitting at the Post Office, so not sure what to do. I'll call the number on my MBNA card.

There are tons of cheap interest rates out there guys, so don't give away your information unless you are 100% comfortable with disclosing it. (faxing a copy of your bank statement seems over the top - these guys have credit databases to do enough credit checks on us!!!)

Still unsure,
gary
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2005
6838 posts
358 upvotes
Ottawa
gharwig wrote: I am not sure what to think now, as it sounds like you guys have contacted the real MBNA with the concerns. I am also an MBNA customer, but if that is the way they want to contact me (with an unidentifiable letter from 'Enterprise Solutions Group' that I must provide a piece of my identity to even open the letter), then I will be quickly terminating my business with MBNA. My letter is still sitting at the Post Office, so not sure what to do. I'll call the number on my MBNA card.

There are tons of cheap interest rates out there guys, so don't give away your information unless you are 100% comfortable with disclosing it. (faxing a copy of your bank statement seems over the top - these guys have credit databases to do enough credit checks on us!!!)

Still unsure,
gary
Actually the customer service rep that I spoke to said MBNA owns Enterprise Solutions Group. It's under the MBNA family but different name. They do some of the admin stuff for MBNA.

Top