None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1494 posts
542 upvotes
YVR, BC

MBNA - Reduce my credit limit?

Without warning MBNA reduced my credit limit on my RWE M/C by half? from 18,000 to 9,000?

No late payments or issues with my credit report or score?

Not carrying any large balances on any cards etc

Has anyone experienced this from MBNA - appreciate and info before calling them today
6 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24351 posts
6034 upvotes
where I belong
did you apply any other MBNA cards recently?

They're known now to reduce or even auto-close other MBNA cards, if you sign up for more ...

See this reply in MBNA 0% card too, cutting limit in half also
official-rfd-mbna-0-12-months-thread-81 ... st25730715
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1494 posts
542 upvotes
YVR, BC
Thanks Jerry - called them and they said I had two cards with them and equalled the limits for both to the same limits
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3943 posts
1171 upvotes
QC
Same thing just happened to me. They lowered my main card (Smart Cash) by the amount I got accepted for the Platinum Plus. Funny thing is that I just had accepted their proposal for an extra credit limit. It almost even up.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1033 posts
404 upvotes
GTA
If you have existing cards and apply for new, rather than declining you outright they will talk to you about utilizing credit limits of other cards to shift around so you can get new card. For example, card 1 is 10K limit and card 2 is 5K limit. You apply for card 3 and rather than decline you they reduce card 1 to 5K limit and issue card 3 with 5K limit.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1595 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if this happens if you have an MBNA card and then get TD credit card? I just applied for and was approved for a TD visa and I have the SC but have not seen a credit limit adjustment.

Realistically I have a higher credit limit than I am ever likely to use but how does this reflect on ones credit score if it looks like the lender has reduced your available credit?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3943 posts
1171 upvotes
QC
gqbluez wrote: Does anyone know if this happens if you have an MBNA card and then get TD credit card? I just applied for and was approved for a TD visa and I have the SC but have not seen a credit limit adjustment.

Realistically I have a higher credit limit than I am ever likely to use but how does this reflect on ones credit score if it looks like the lender has reduced your available credit?
I applied for the TD infinite and it didn't lowered my MBNA limit.