• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2016 1:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
531 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto

MBNA | Some cards being discontinued

Just finished talking to MBNA Support. MBNA is no longer offering Smartcash or IEEE Professional Credit Card. The representative mentioned cards were taken off the system 15 days back.

There may be more cards. I just inquired about these two.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1583 posts
491 upvotes
What happens to existing cardholders? I've never held a card that's been discontinued. Was actually looking into applying for Tangerine's cashback this week too.
Mar 9, 2009
433 posts
161 upvotes
Thornhill
Anyone know why it is being discontinued?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5458 posts
3999 upvotes
One interesting thought: if you have smart cash world, will they transfer you to RWE without annual fee?
Mar 23, 2004
43309 posts
9224 upvotes
Markham
EH15 wrote: What happens to existing cardholders? I've never held a card that's been discontinued. Was actually looking into applying for Tangerine's cashback this week too.
EdisonL299 wrote: One interesting thought: if you have smart cash world, will they transfer you to RWE without annual fee?
Probably grandfathered.
hmm wrote: Anyone know why it is being discontinued?
Because it sucks now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
hmm wrote: Anyone know why it is being discontinued?
Probably don't want to compete with tangerine card which does essentially the same thing, but better.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1627 posts
628 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
angel_wing0 wrote: That actually happened before too, ugh YMMV MBNA.
I was hoping for a free RWE
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5458 posts
3999 upvotes
LOL, just called in, the CSR told me they just removed the card application online, but we could still apply it by calling MBNA.

Which response is correct? LOL
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20136 posts
4676 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
EdisonL299 wrote: One interesting thought: if you have smart cash world, will they transfer you to RWE without annual fee?
My Smart Cash World just expired and I received a new Smart Cash (not "Smart Cash World") in the mail a few days ago.

The new Smart Cash card is green, btw.
- casual gastronomist -
Sep 24, 2013
966 posts
680 upvotes
Ontario
Jucius Maximus wrote: My Smart Cash World just expired and I received a new Smart Cash (not "Smart Cash World") in the mail a few days ago.

The new Smart Cash card is green, btw.
I received my card 2 months ago and it was also green. New smart cash world cards do not have World on them but they are world cards. The new world cards are green and the non world cards are still blue. (from my understanding chatting with csr)
Jun 4, 2016
20 posts
2 upvotes
As long as they keep the Alaska Airlines card alive!
Nov 10, 2007
315 posts
85 upvotes
buddshek wrote: I received my card 2 months ago and it was also green. New smart cash world cards do not have World on them but they are world cards. The new world cards are green and the non world cards are still blue. (from my understanding chatting with csr)
Yeah my scartcash world was set to expire recently so I received a replacement. Indeed it is green and does not say world on it.
Oct 17, 2007
130 posts
26 upvotes
SmatCash is back online now...
Oct 18, 2013
19 posts
8 upvotes
Beaconsfield, QC
buddshek wrote: I received my card 2 months ago and it was also green. New smart cash world cards do not have World on them but they are world cards. The new world cards are green and the non world cards are still blue. (from my understanding chatting with csr)
Are you sure the regular card isn't green as well? I got a green card when I got it replaced fairly recently, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the world version.