None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20900 posts
3353 upvotes
YUL

The MBNA Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Mastercard Thread *Discontinued*

I recently applied for this card, which I've yet to receive in the mail. I've got a few questions that I could not find the answer to after extensive research.

1. Apparently there's 2 versions of the card. The Platinum one, and the regular one. No where in the application process does it say which on you're applying for. On the MBNA site it shows the image of the platinum card in various places, but in the application process it shows the non-platinum one and the application says nothing about the platinum version. I want the platinum version because of the additional benefits like collision insurance, travel insurance and baggage delay. What's the deal? Did any of you get the regular and then request the platinum one? Does MBNA decide which one to send you based on the info you provided, such as income, and your credit rating?

2. I don't have an SPG account yet. Does MBNA automatically provide me with one when I get my card?

3. Complimentary SPG Gold. I've heard of some people with the card getting complimentary gold with it. Is that something MBNA gives you, or SPG? How and when do you get it? Invitation or requesting it?

4. I know you get 5000 bonus points for your first stay at a Starwood hotel by using the card. If you purchase the ticket via a service like expedia.ca does this still apply, or do you have to book directly through one of the starwood hotel websites?

Here's the RFD link to apply for the credit card:

http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplcli ... 0000044875

SEPT 3, 2009 UPDATE: MBNA Canada has stopped taking applications for this card, as it is being discontinued. Existing card holders will be able to collect points until February 28, 2010, after which they will be sent a not yet disclosed replacement card that will NOT collect SPG points. The only positive coming from this is that apparently, a new SPG card will be announced in the near future by SPG for Canadians. It won't be through MBNA, and it has yet to be disclosed who will be the issuer.
1221 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6114 posts
560 upvotes
najibs wrote: I recently applied for this card, which I've yet to receive in the mail. I've got a few questions that I could not find the answer to after extensive research.

1. Apparently there's 2 versions of the card. The Platinum one, and the regular one. No where in the application process does it say which on you're applying for. On the MBNA site it shows the image of the platinum card in various places, but in the application process it shows the non-platinum one and the application says nothing about the platinum version. I want the platinum version because of the additional benefits like collision insurance, travel insurance and baggage delay. What's the deal? Did any of you get the regular and then request the platinum one? Does MBNA decide which one to send you based on the info you provided, such as income, and your credit rating?

2. I don't have an SPG account yet. Does MBNA automatically provide me with one when I get my card?

3. Complimentary SPG Gold. I've heard of some people with the card getting complimentary gold with it. Is that something MBNA gives you, or SPG? How and when do you get it? Invitation or requesting it?

4. I know you get 5000 bonus points for your first stay at a Starwood hotel by using the card. If you purchase the ticket via a service like expedia.ca does this still apply, or do you have to book directly through one of the starwood hotel websites?
I'm *very* unfamiliar about the card (although I imagine Brunes would have ALL of the answers for your above questions), but here's my shot at at least trying to help you out.

1) If you get the regular one in the mail, before activating or using it, call MBNA and try to see if you can get it upgraded to platinum - their website may be similar to Citibank's whereby you cannot directly apply for the Citibank Enrich Platinum Card, you need to get them to convert it. Worst case scenario, there's no reason why they can't convert it immediately to another card type - the only bank that I know of that cannot do this is AMEX.

2) MBNA will automatically issue you a SPG account number if you don't already have one.

3) Dunno

4) I imagine the transaction has to actually come from the hotel itself (and not expedia). I could be wrong on this one...but I don't think MBNA would be able to tell that you purchased a hotel stay just by the "Expedia" transaction. Best bet would be to call them beforehand and ask - or tell them that you're staying at one of their hotels as part of a package and see if they can manually add the points. Again though, my initial guess would be "no" -> it wouldn't count.

Best of Luck.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20900 posts
3353 upvotes
YUL
Octavius wrote: 1) If you get the regular one in the mail, before activating or using it, call MBNA and try to see if you can get it upgraded to platinum - their website may be similar to Citibank's whereby you cannot directly apply for the Citibank Enrich Platinum Card, you need to get them to convert it. Worst case scenario, there's no reason why they can't convert it immediately to another card type - the only bank that I know of that cannot do this is AMEX.
Actually, some people report getting the platinum, while others have been getting the regular one, and they've filled out the same application, which leads me to beleive that it may have something to do with your credit rating + your income. I could be wrong. But yeah, if I get the regular one in the mail, I'll just call and request the platinum.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6811 posts
572 upvotes
You have to call and request the plat one after you sign up. They do issue you an SPG number. And priceline and stuff usually doesn't work for the 5000 bonus, but sometimes it does.

Apparently you can cash and points it to work.

For 2000 points you can stay in niagara falls, NY on a weekend, or for 80 bucks, pretty good deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3419 posts
305 upvotes
Calgary
najibs wrote: I recently applied for this card, which I've yet to receive in the mail. I've got a few questions that I could not find the answer to after extensive research.

I love this card and I have recommended this card to all my family and friends.

1. I applied this card for myself, my wife and my in-laws. Everyone got platinum. I believe MBNA decides to give you regular or platinum based on your credit history. The application online doesn't give you a choice for applying regular or platinum.

2. MBNA automatically applies for a new SPG number if you don't already have one. However, if you already have a SPG account, you may as well provide the same number so you can put all the points in one account.

3. I got complimentary Gold and I LOVE IT. I got upgraded most of the times including in Westin Times Square, Le Meridien Angkor, Westin Munich etc...LOVE IT. SPG Gold has nothing to do MBNA. You have to call SPG for that. Anyone can have complimentary Gold...once.

4. 5000 bonus points for first stay must not be booked through a second party websites such as expedia or priceline. The easiest way to earn First Stay would be staying at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas. I paid about $49 USD for my first stay at Planet Hollywood (formally Aladdin) three years ago and got the 5000 points within weeks.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19190 posts
1684 upvotes

1. Apparently there's 2 versions of the card. The Platinum one, and the regular one. No where in the application process does it say which on you're applying for.
It is based on the limit you recieve. As long as you are pre-approved for the platinum level you get it. I think you need 5,000 or more to be platinum.

If you are not approved for platinum, you will still get the card, and the points structure is the exact same, but it won't have the great travel insurance / car rental insurance / etc. benefits. My wife didn't get platinum but I did.

As long as your credit score is decent I would not worry about it.
No - you have to go to spg.com and sign up for one, then give MBNA the number. I would recommend doing this in advance so you have the number when you submit the application. It is free and doesn't take long.
Dunno what this is... but I would like to hear more :)
Unsure on this, I would call and ask. My gut tells me no since the transaction will not appear to be paying Starwood.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19190 posts
1684 upvotes
cko64 wrote: 3. I got complimentary Gold and I LOVE IT. I got upgraded most of the times including in Westin Times Square, Le Meridien Angkor, Westin Munich etc...LOVE IT. SPG Gold has nothing to do MBNA. You have to call SPG for that. Anyone can have complimentary Gold...once.
I take it from this that I can call SPG and get complimentary gold, but it will only last 1 year unless I do 10 hotel stays?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20900 posts
3353 upvotes
YUL
cko64 wrote: I love this card and I have recommended this card to all my family and friends.

1. I applied this card for myself, my wife and my in-laws. Everyone got platinum. I believe MBNA decides to give you regular or platinum based on your credit history. The application online doesn't give you a choice for applying regular or platinum.
Makes sense.
3. I got complimentary Gold and I LOVE IT. I got upgraded most of the times including in Westin Times Square, Le Meridien Angkor, Westin Munich etc...LOVE IT. SPG Gold has nothing to do MBNA. You have to call SPG for that. Anyone can have complimentary Gold...once.
I'm still confused. So what exactly does complimentary gold give you? And by requesting it once does that mean it's valid for one year, or one stay at a Starwood hotel? And, did you mean I can just call them up randomly and ask 'hey, can I get complimentary gold?' and they'll give it to me?
brunes wrote: It is based on the limit you recieve. As long as you are pre-approved for the platinum level you get it. I think you need 5,000 or more to be platinum.
Again, that makes sense.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20900 posts
3353 upvotes
YUL
Just got off the phone with MBNA, and sure enough, if you're approved for over $5000 you will get a Platinum Plus card. Anything less will give you just the regular card.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19190 posts
1684 upvotes
najibs wrote: Just got off the phone with MBNA, and sure enough, if you're approved for over $5000 you will get a Platinum Plus card. Anything less will give you just the regular card.
Anyone who has a half decent FICO should get Platinum without issue. I am no gem and I got it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20900 posts
3353 upvotes
YUL
brunes wrote: Anyone who has a half decent FICO should get Platinum without issue. I am no gem and I got it.
That depends though. Some people who make all their payments on time but have used most of their credit limits might not get approved for over $5000 credit limit even with a decent credit rating. I got approved for more than $5k. I wonder though why Citibank last month only approved me for just under $3k, and MBNA more than doubled that. Do MBNA and Citi use different credit reports to make their decision?

They said it would take 2-3 weeks to receive the card. I've heard of people in BC receiving them 3-4 days after applying, while the MBNA office is in Ottawa. I want my card ASAP to start earning those SPG points! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
2 upvotes
najibs wrote: I'm still confused. So what exactly does complimentary gold give you? And by requesting it once does that mean it's valid for one year, or one stay at a Starwood hotel? And, did you mean I can just call them up randomly and ask 'hey, can I get complimentary gold?' and they'll give it to me?
Gold status with SPG gives you 50% more points and free late checkout. You sometimes get upgrades not always. Its good for 1 calender year (well till feb the next year).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20900 posts
3353 upvotes
YUL
dark169 wrote: Gold status with SPG gives you 50% more points and free late checkout. You sometimes get upgrades not always. Its good for 1 calender year (well till feb the next year).
Ok, but there's no definitive answer here on how to get it. Just call SPG and say "hey, can I get complimentary gold?" and that's it? :cheesygri

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)