Credit Cards

MBNA Travel Rewards Elite MC (MBNA SPG MC replacement)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2011 7:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1030 posts
297 upvotes
Brampton

MBNA Travel Rewards Elite MC (MBNA SPG MC replacement)

EDIT:

Information available so far:

- No annual fee.
- Appears to be only available to automatically migrated former MBNA SPG MC customers.
- 5K bonus upon activation of and first purchase on the new card.
- A FAQ is at https://www.mytravelrewardscentre.com/E ... c/faq.aspx.
- Award table for flights is at https://www.mytravelrewardscentre.com/E ... ouGet.aspx.
- Minimum 10K points required to redeem for airfare. You can purchase additional points at 2 cents per point to reach your desired award.
- There is some cap on airfare cost per award level, as many revenue options don't show up. But there is no information (yet) on what that cap is.
- Taxes/fees in airfare match normal revenue tickets - so it does not appear they are adding fees to the booking. As expected, they are charging the fuel surcharge, that is not included in the basic award redemption.
- Taxes/fees/fuel surcharge on airfares and travel insurance appears to be payable using points at a 3% redemption rate.
- There is some indication of using your points towards business class travel, etc. My suspicion is they would then give you a % redemption rate against the cost of those tickets. It is unclear what that % may be.
- It appears you can book hotels and car rentals through their website at a 2% redemption rate (no levels/tiers). Hotel rates appear to be similar/same as normal, published rates available on hotel websites and "normal" travel websites (i.e. not Hotwire/Priceline). $25 + GST booking fee for redemptions under 10K points.
- Cash back is available at a 1% redemption rate (at 8K, 10K and 25K point levels).

ORIGINAL POST:

All MBNA SPG MC are automatically transitioned to the MBNA Travel Rewards Elite MC on 1/Mar/2010. 5K bonus points for first purchase, 1 point per dollar. Their example shows 25K points gets you a ticket in North America or $500 towards any hotel stay.

[IMG]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1835 ... 2qc.th.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6541 ... 3ho.th.jpg[/IMG]
391 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3300 posts
1022 upvotes
Thanks nabeel. You might want to black out your name, in the "Dear xxxx" line.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
2051 posts
125 upvotes
What would be the RFD verdict?

Pardon my spelling.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1030 posts
297 upvotes
Brampton
Vasyl wrote: What would be the RDF verdict?
I think we'll have wait and see what the restrictions around redemptions are before we can make a decision.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
2051 posts
125 upvotes
nabeel wrote: I think we'll have wait and see what the restrictions around redemptions are before we can make a decision.
Agree. At least MBNA advised their clients what to expect. SPG is not that forthcoming.
May 9, 2005
878 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
So this is no annual fee?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4172 posts
20 upvotes
vkmtlqc wrote: And I'm assuming no annual renewal bonus either... :(
Well, if you want to pay $89 to get $50 worth of points, you have the option to switch to the one with the annual fee. :lol:

This card looks decent, but I guess we need more details on the redemptions. I still really liked MBNA SPG card and SPG points, but I don't think the Amex SPG card will be a good fit for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4172 posts
20 upvotes
magician wrote: i dont think is this one..on the letter, the new card has the title of
"Elite Travel Rewards"...and it is not on their web site yet....
I suspect it will only be offered to people that had the MBNA SPG card and probably never will show up on the website. I'm pretty sure it's the same rewards program though.
Dec 4, 2009
121 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary,AB
for the above rewards points example(spend $25200; rewards $500)...the rate of return is 1.98% ..even better than Smart Cash..

....hoped no annual fee + insurance packages(rental, baggage lost, flight delay etc)
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1778 posts
100 upvotes
magician wrote: for the above rewards points example(spend $25200; rewards $500)...the rate of return is 1.98% ..even better than Smart Cash..

....hoped no annual fee + insurance packages(rental, baggage lost, flight delay etc)
$500 for hotels ... probably slightly overpriced rates, so I wouldn't say a decent 1.98%. The redemption table for the fights is what we're waiting for and a better idea of real return rates. As far as insurance coverages, it's the same as the old SPG card.
Aug 17, 2005
947 posts
460 upvotes
looks like a decent card, we'll see if there are any restrictions, but I do like the double points for recurring payments.
Aug 21, 2008
69 posts
1 upvote
PwA wrote: looks like a decent card, we'll see if there are any restrictions, but I do like the double points for recurring payments.
You dont get double points for recurring payments.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1649 posts
500 upvotes
St. John's
Great thread.

Looks like MBNA is trying a lot harder to keep my business than Amex is to steal it away.

I wonder how many people are using the current Travel Rewards card and how they like it? While the main structure seems the same, there seems to be a few differences between the regular card already available and this Elite version - annual fee ($0 vs. $89), hotel rewards seem to only be for Elite program, cash back only for elite program. I'd bet the 2,500 point renewal bonus is not applicable to Elite as well. I would say this will be offered exclusively (or at least the no-fee part will be exclusive) to former SPG cardholders.

All in all, it looks pretty great to me.