Expired Hot Deals

[McDonalds] Free refill with the purchase of any size hot premium roast coffee (YMMV?)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2019 10:59 pm
[OP]
Mar 26, 2018
9 posts
11 upvotes

[McDonalds] Free refill with the purchase of any size hot premium roast coffee (YMMV?)

(First time starting a a new thread so apologies if I make any mistakes)

Not sure if this is location specific but saw this sign at my local McDonald's (Eglinton & Winston Churchill in Mississauga).
Images
  • IMG_20190520_202705.jpg
45 replies
Sep 12, 2012
733 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
Hasn't it always been like that?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5553 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't this by default everywhere? I've seen this almost every month at warden-eglinton location (scarborough)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1255 posts
666 upvotes
I've seen this in several McDs in the last month... it would seem like this is now their official stance on coffee refills. Previously it was unlimited (well, at the store's discretion) refills, then a lot of franchises started phasing that out ($$$), but now those same locations (as well as the rest of them) which phased out coffee refills have this sign up...

.. caveat, I'm speaking from my experience in the GTA + Ottawa.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2018
9 posts
11 upvotes
test9251 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 9:10 pm
Isn't this by default everywhere? I've seen this almost every month at warden-eglinton location (scarborough)
I actually never knew about this till today. I thought only Starbucks (of all the ones near me) offered free refills.
Nov 28, 2011
838 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
McDonald's used to generously offer a free refill prior to 2015/2016 when they ended the program nationwide.

Since then, some franchises have offered to restart this practice, but it's location specific, and very YMMV.

I can't recall whether it was unlimited coffee refills, or just one, but I do remember my cups being marked with an R for refill.

Thread on phase-out: mcdonald-no-more-coffee-refills-startin ... v-2042870/

*Also, I haven't seen free refills at many locations. As far as my experience around the GTA goes, most restaurants are not offering a refill program.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
4309 posts
3993 upvotes
Wolfdale wrote:
May 20th, 2019 9:21 pm
McDonald's used to generously offer a free refill prior to 2015/2016 when they ended the program nationwide.

Since then, some franchises have offered to restart this practice, but it's location specific, and very YMMV.

I can't recall whether it was unlimited coffee refills, or just one, but I do remember my cups being marked with an R for refill.

Thread on phase-out: mcdonald-no-more-coffee-refills-startin ... v-2042870/

*Also, I haven't seen free refills at many locations. As far as my experience around the GTA goes, most restaurants are not offering a refill program.
Eaton centre still does it, but it's one per customer.
Jun 22, 2017
105 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto/Kingston
My closest McD's recently put up a giant red sign saying they don't offer refills. But the free refills were definitely a norm before.
Feb 19, 2007
379 posts
39 upvotes
Financial District/M…
Huzaifahby98 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 9:17 pm
I actually never knew about this till today. I thought only Starbucks (of all the ones near me) offered free refills.
starbucks offer free refills?? never knew this.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2018
9 posts
11 upvotes
MasterDeal wrote:
May 20th, 2019 11:51 pm
starbucks offer free refills?? never knew this.
Yep, all you need to do is be a member and scan your card/pay with app. This is from their website:

"Free refills on hot or iced brewed coffee or tea purchased with your registered Starbucks Card or Starbucks App during the same store visit at participating Starbucks locations."
Jan 15, 2006
464 posts
3 upvotes
Huzaifahby98 wrote:
May 21st, 2019 12:04 am
Yep, all you need to do is be a member and scan your card/pay with app. This is from their website:

"Free refills on hot or iced brewed coffee or tea purchased with your registered Starbucks Card or Starbucks App during the same store visit at participating Starbucks locations."
WOW learned this now too thanks!!
Jun 20, 2009
992 posts
292 upvotes
Edmonton
In Alberta, we have always gotten refills no questions asked. This is really curious. I am in TO now and my dad was like "there is a sign saying there is only 1 refill now" the other day. Not that we ever tried to get more than 1 refill ever. And when we wanted a refill at the McD's next to ROM, they had to ring it up. Maybe it is just a TO thing regarding availability of refills.

BTW, I was at Bridlewood Mall today and saw a sign "50% off any size coffee 2-5 PM". Posted on a sign like that one posted by the OP.
May 7, 2019
33 posts
17 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
So you can refill only if you're inside the restaurant? What if you leave and come back. I am a driver so I always keep coming back to the same restaurant for my coffee. Would I be able to get a free refill after leaving? I see this sign in that restaurant too.
Nov 24, 2012
844 posts
599 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I've always known it to be one refill, for in-store meals only, in the Vancouver area. I've never encountered a situation where I was refused a refill. The same applies for soft drinks.