Food & Drink

McDonald's ice cream/milke shake and machine downtime

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2021 3:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6649 posts
2991 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

McDonald's ice cream/milke shake and machine downtime

Interesting article. Seems the machines McDonald's uses for soft-serve ice cream and milk shakes are really buggy. Some outfit tried to make it easier for franchisees to fix but the big power shut it down fast. They apparently get a cut of the expensive maintenance contracts.

https://www.wired.com/story/they-hacked ... -cold-war/

Haven't had a McFlurry as I haven't seen a coupon in over 4 years.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
8 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
2359 posts
1436 upvotes
Vancouveresque
thriftshopper wrote: Interesting article. Seems the machines McDonald's uses for soft-serve ice cream and milk shakes are really buggy. Some outfit tried to make it easier for franchisees to fix but the big power shut it down fast. They apparently get a cut of the expensive maintenance contracts.

https://www.wired.com/story/they-hacked ... -cold-war/

Haven't had a McFlurry as I haven't seen a coupon in over 4 years.
There are coupons available in the app for McFlurrys all the time. As recently as April 19th, again on the 25th, then May 8th and 9th. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/mcdonal ... d-2458645/
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6590 posts
3577 upvotes
Mississauga
The McDonald’s ice cream machine being down has been a running joke for a long time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6649 posts
2991 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
mrweather wrote: The McDonald’s ice cream machine being down has been a running joke for a long time.
Seems so but, remarkably, always worked the very very very few times I go.. Actually I think I had one of the special durian ice milk dessert in... Thailand 2 years ago. maybe a different supplier.
GeeCee wrote: There are coupons available in the app for McFlurrys all the time. As recently as April 19th, again on the 25th, then May 8th and 9th. mcdonalds-daily-deal-drops-apr-19-may-0 ... d-2458645/
I'm old school (or just downright old) and just look at the paper coupons that come in the mail box. How much do they want for one on special?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6404 posts
2430 upvotes
I rarely ever go McDonalds but yea, the times I do I am told the ice cream machine is down lol
Sr. Member
May 21, 2015
962 posts
510 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Who'da thunk such a tempest in a teap.... er ice cream machine. It was an interesting article.

Never cared much for those kind of cones and shakes... and on a side note they can be can't be called ice cream or milk shakes, being as they don't contain enough actual milk fats
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6649 posts
2991 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I actually just wanted the spoon that came with a McFlurry (presumably made in the same machine). Used it for getting milk froth out of the Nespresso milk frother. Had two but lost one. Moot now since the Miele superautomatic came into our lives.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Top