• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2020 8:32 am
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
183 posts
83 upvotes
Edmonton

McDonalds: McPicks value menu no more, prices stealth raised

Looks like in the last few days the $5 (in AB) McPicks combo (Junior Chicken or McDouble) has now been increased to $5.75.

The burgers each are no longer $2 each either. End of an era.
54 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
3321 posts
274 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
khangt1 wrote: Looks like in the last few days the $5 (in AB) McPicks combo (Junior Chicken or McDouble) has now been increased to $5.75.

The burgers each are no longer $2 each either. End of an era.
This has already been changed (at least for the standalone sandwiches) since middle of COVID for Ontario, or in GTA area.
Nov 30, 2018
228 posts
234 upvotes
Covid-flation. Always passing the costs along to consumers even though consumers are unemployed, working less or have seen no increase in pay.

Don’t support stores who do this or only buy with coupons.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16835 posts
32857 upvotes
Scarborough
Ugh, that sucks! I ordered a McDouble meal 1 week ago and it was still $5. You think they could've waited until at least after summer drink days ended before raising the price.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
183 posts
83 upvotes
Edmonton
I wonder if anything else had their prices raised like Happy Meals. The $2 Junior Chicken and McDoubles went up to $2.50 and $2.75 respectively in AB.
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
183 posts
83 upvotes
Edmonton
So their menu, which has been reduced,leads to price increase. Probably from the beef?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16939 posts
14527 upvotes
GTA, ON
khangt1 wrote: So their menu, which has been reduced,leads to price increase. Probably from the beef?
I don't think it's necessarily an increase in the cost of beef. Early in the pandemic there was a shortage, but now it seems the supply & prices have normalized. I don't see much a difference in the price of ground beef between pre or post-pandemic.

It's more likely associated with higher operating cost and decreased overall business. Operating on only drive-thru (and maybe walk-in takeout now) has no doubt hurt their bottom line.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5797 posts
3336 upvotes
Costs are maybe same; however there are less orders.

This means some relatively fixed costs are spread out on fewer orders.

To maintain the same profit levels, they need to increase the prices on fewer orders.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
I don't understand why people tend to get combos at fast food joint. The drink is only soda (juice sometimes). It's neither healthy or interesting, nor is it really tasty at that

I know you are at a junk food place already but.. It's unnecessarily extra cost to me
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47771 posts
8482 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Terabithia wrote: I don't understand why people tend to get combos at fast food joint. The drink is only soda (juice sometimes). It's neither healthy or interesting, nor is it really tasty at that

I know you are at a junk food place already but.. It's unnecessarily extra cost to me
Same thoughts here. Soda is pure profit, burgers are not. To extract the most value from my dollar, I only get food :)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
luvdeals1 wrote: Covid-flation. Always passing the costs along to consumers even though consumers are unemployed, working less or have seen no increase in pay.

Don’t support stores who do this or only buy with coupons.
lol, some of the responses in this thread are a joke.

Cost of food is going up everywhere. Are you going to boycott your local grocery stores and stop supporting them because they raised prices?

Of course the cost gets passed along to consumers, at least part of it. Otherwise whats the point in being in business? To make less $$ every year?
Last edited by HghSsociety on Jul 9th, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
chimaican wrote: I don't think it's necessarily an increase in the cost of beef. Early in the pandemic there was a shortage, but now it seems the supply & prices have normalized. I don't see much a difference in the price of ground beef between pre or post-pandemic.

As someone who is in the industry, the cost of beef has absolutely increased. About 10-15%
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3868 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Same thoughts here. Soda is pure profit, burgers are not. To extract the most value from my dollar, I only get food :)
This. I see combos like $3+ more. For diabetes in a can and fries that costs 10c and they are only good because of the crazy salt your brain craves.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10663 posts
1113 upvotes
Vancouver
I have not paid regular price for McDs since they got rid of daily specials. I only go if there's a deal in the app or there is a coupon. I can get a more satisfying, freshly made banh mi for ~$6.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: **Free shipping on Tues** 6TB-2TB HDDs, Low Profile Cooler, FREE heatsinks/fans/misc
MY HEATWARE
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
163 upvotes
Damn McD's getting more expensive than whole meals from some local food courts in the GTA.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3167 posts
4096 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
McDonalds is a joke, always hated it since I was a kid, ridiculous prices and dismal food and choices.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal
junior chicken was my go-to Neutral Face
last nail in the coffin for McDonalds..

Thanks for posting OP, this is relevant info! upvoted
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13050 posts
8290 upvotes
Markham
Poutinesauce wrote: Why did I know that tons of businesses would use COVID-19 as a catch-all excuse to raise prices exorbitantly?
Not necessarily excuse

Think this way: you are a restaurant owner, because social distancing, you only can serve half of customers compared to pre pandemic, but your cost is still same, then what you do? You increase the price as high as you can

Alot business will do this. Especially those public listed companies. Those CEO compensation highly rely on stock price
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
8676 posts
8280 upvotes
smartie wrote: Not necessarily excuse

Think this way: you are a restaurant owner, because social distancing, you only can serve half of customers compared to pre pandemic, but your cost is still same, then what you do? You increase the price as high as you can

Alot business will do this. Especially those public listed companies. Those CEO compensation highly rely on stock price
McDonald's serves a lot of takeout food, I don't believe this to be genuine.

All I know is that it's always the little guy, who can't offload the added costs to someone lower on the pyramid, who has to suffer price increases and gets poorer and poorer.