Food & Drink

McDonald's returns to 100 per cent Canadian beef after COVID-19 supply chain issues

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2020 2:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1186 posts
1744 upvotes
Toronto

McDonald's returns to 100 per cent Canadian beef after COVID-19 supply chain issues

19 replies
Sr. Member
Mar 4, 2010
504 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
are we getting the angus burgers back? its the only burger i'd eat from there
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
djfunk wrote: are we getting the angus burgers back? its the only burger i'd eat from there
They use the nose, ears and tail of the angus cow as well as the nose, ears and tail of the herford or jersey cow when grinding up the cow......
Point being...it is all hamburger meat marketing... LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15924 posts
3437 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: They use the nose, ears and tail of the angus cow as well as the nose, ears and tail of the herford or jersey cow when grinding up the cow......
Point being...it is all hamburger meat marketing... LOL
Who told you that?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
playnicee1 wrote: Who told you that?
What do you think hamburger meat really is?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8317 posts
2780 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: What do you think hamburger meat really is?
100% pure ground sirloin as a min? Hehehe
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
Gutty96 wrote: 100% pure ground sirloin as a min? Hehehe
I am sure there is some sirloin in there when they grind up the whole cow.....100% Canadian cow :)
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 16th, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27298 posts
12918 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: What do you think hamburger meat really is?
It's for sure not tail. Why would you grind a tail when you can sell it as is for $9/lb?
Even through a grinder I'm fairly certain you'd be able to pick out the texture of ears.
Nose... maybe. But that's not exactly a giant piece of meat so the overall contribution is nothing.

As for what hamburger typically is? Round since it's cheap. Also trim to bulk up the fat content. And just straight up fat.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: It's for sure not tail. Why would you grind a tail when you can sell it as is for $9/lb?
Even through a grinder I'm fairly certain you'd be able to pick out the texture of ears.
Nose... maybe. But that's not exactly a giant piece of meat so the overall contribution is nothing.

As for what hamburger typically is? Round since it's cheap. Also trim to bulk up the fat content. And just straight up fat.
Way back when, I had relatives in the dairy business in the Fraser Valley. They were contacted by representatives from McDonalds about their cows and who they sell to when the animals are no longer milked. McDonalds offered to buy all animals from him. I suspected they use the entire animal for ground beef. :)

As for regular ground beef, it is often cutting and trim and fat. Yes, they can say sirloin or round or angus if they want but, what proportion is actually those?

I worked in a grocery store when I was young and they had a meat department...as a new employee, I was privileged to clean up the display case and stuff and watched them make ground beef. If it was not the right colour or constancy, they added water or fat chunks. :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27298 posts
12918 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Way back when, I had relatives in the dairy business in the Fraser Valley. They were contacted by representatives from McDonalds about their cows and who they sell to when the animals are no longer milked. McDonalds offered to buy all animals from him. I suspected they use the entire animal for ground beef. :)
I'm actually curious about this. Not that I have a ton of experience in the farming industry, but it'd shock me if McDonalds themselves made the inquiry.
To me it'd make far more sense for their supplier (ie Cargill) to approach you.
I'd be equally shocked if they said who their customer is especially considering what they're buying.

Yes, they can say sirloin or round or angus if they want but, what proportion is actually those?
Legally speaking, it'd have to be 100% sirloin or 100% angus. That's not to say they couldn't adulterer it, but that'd open them up to a bunch of legal issues.
It'd be cheaper to just use sirloin.
I worked in a grocery store when I was young and they had a meat department...as a new employee, I was privileged to clean up the display case and stuff and watched them make ground beef. If it was not the right colour or constancy, they added water or fat chunks. :)
Fat makes sense since you have to hit a certain fat percentage, especially if you're grinding something like round which has very little fat.
Water (and ice) is also a thing in shittier grocery stores to bulk up the yield. This is also why you should buy from a reputable shop.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: I'm actually curious about this. Not that I have a ton of experience in the farming industry, but it'd shock me if McDonalds themselves made the inquiry.
To me it'd make far more sense for their supplier (ie Cargill) to approach you.
I'd be equally shocked if they said who their customer is especially considering what they're buying.



Legally speaking, it'd have to be 100% sirloin or 100% angus. That's not to say they couldn't adulterer it, but that'd open them up to a bunch of legal issues.
It'd be cheaper to just use sirloin.

Fat makes sense since you have to hit a certain fat percentage, especially if you're grinding something like round which has very little fat.
Water (and ice) is also a thing in shittier grocery stores to bulk up the yield. This is also why you should buy from a reputable shop.
I am not the farmer, my Uncles were. They were the ones thta old us that someone form McDonalds (who ever the representative was is unknown to me) asked to by the cows. I agree, i am quite sure it ws not Ronald McDonald that came knowing but the impression was that it wasa representative of McDonalds.

I would think that if the say Angus or Sirloin, it can be a portion. If it was 100% i would think that would be a big advertising campaign?

As I was just a kid working there, I am not sure proportions or what was added but I do know they they are making it look fresh. A lot happened in the mornings for the days sales. I am quite sure a lot of this still goes on today.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27298 posts
12918 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I am not the farmer, my Uncles were. They were the ones thta old us that someone form McDonalds (who ever the representative was is unknown to me) asked to by the cows. I agree, i am quite sure it ws not Ronald McDonald that came knowing but the impression was that it wasa representative of McDonalds.
I'm not saying it didn't happen because weirder things have happened, but this sounds like one of those urban legends in the making. Nothing about this makes sense logically.
I would think that if the say Angus or Sirloin, it can be a portion. If it was 100% i would think that would be a big advertising campaign?
Depends on how it's worded.
If it says 100% whatever, it has to be 100% whatever. Same concept with 100% beef. Now as you said above, it can be lips and *******, but there's no pork etc.
There's another rub where if it's "made from 100% whatever" it can contain anything as long as that whatever is 100%. So a 50/50 pork/beef blend is made with 100% pork and 100% beef.
But for something like ground meat, if it says "ground sirloin" it can only contain ground sirloin and nothing else.

Angus however doesn't mean crap. Angus is just a black cow. Certified angus is a bit different, but also more marketing speak.
As I was just a kid working there, I am not sure proportions or what was added but I do know they they are making it look fresh. A lot happened in the mornings for the days sales. I am quite sure a lot of this still goes on today.
100% it does. There's a reason I only buy ground meats at certain markets.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1284 posts
781 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: It's for sure not tail. Why would you grind a tail when you can sell it as is for $9/lb?
Even through a grinder I'm fairly certain you'd be able to pick out the texture of ears.
Nose... maybe. But that's not exactly a giant piece of meat so the overall contribution is nothing.

As for what hamburger typically is? Round since it's cheap. Also trim to bulk up the fat content. And just straight up fat.
Kind of like that urban legend about the McD's chicken nuggets being "100% chicken" and people went, yeah, including the feet, beaks, bones and all. People do tend to confuse "ground meat" with rendering. Rendering contains everything, and I mean everything. However, rendering is usually not meant to be for human consumption, it's usually mixed with other stuff to make animal feed, etc.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35273 posts
9296 upvotes
Ottawa
my0gr81 wrote: Kind of like that urban legend about the McD's chicken nuggets being "100% chicken" and people went, yeah, including the feet, beaks, bones and all. People do tend to confuse "ground meat" with rendering. Rendering contains everything, and I mean everything. However, rendering is usually not meant to be for human consumption, it's usually mixed with other stuff to make animal feed, etc.
Rendering - "Rendering is a process that converts waste animal tissue into stable, usable materials. Rendering can refer to any processing of animal products into more useful materials, or, more narrowly, to the rendering of whole animal fatty tissue into purified fats like lard or tallow. Rendering can be carried out on an industrial, farm, or kitchen scale. It can also be applied to non-animal products that are rendered down to pulp." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering ... advantages

No confusion.

McNuggets https://www.livestrong.com/article/1006 ... mcnuggets/
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

Top