Hot Deals

[McGill University] FREE McGill Online Personal Finance Essentials Course Open For Registration

[OP]
Nov 21, 2015
38 posts
185 upvotes
Ontario

FREE McGill Online Personal Finance Essentials Course Open For Registration

Deal Link:
Retailer:
McGill University
A new session of McGill's Personal Finance Essentials online course is now open for registration.

I think this is worth sharing since the very basic but critical knowledge from this course can save a lot of money and be a 'Lava Hot' deal over time for everyone.
14 replies
Sep 13, 2016
40 posts
15 upvotes
+1 - essential for beginners.. Thanks for sharing
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1059 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
There’s a lecture on real estate - anything new or basic what everyone home owner supposed to know?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6235 posts
2837 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If everyone is good at personal finance, then all business will close down.
We need to have some people who spent money they dont have to support the economy.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2697 posts
903 upvotes
Markham
It's pretty meh, more for advertising purposes
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Jun 1, 2013
29 posts
85 upvotes
Montreal
I took this course a few weeks ago. Each module is about 15 minutes long. Most of it is very basic. I found the modules at the end a bit more interesting, but even they only scratch the surface. Someone who has basic financial knowledge probably won't learn anything new.

I would say that the course is aimed at primarily at young adults who are not particularly financially savvy, either in school or just graduated. It teaches things like "pay off highest interest first".

It doesn't take long to complete the course, if you were curious. And you can speed up the videos or just read the transcript and take the quizzes if it's too easy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6235 posts
2837 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Southwark wrote: I took this course a few weeks ago. Each module is about 15 minutes long. Most of it is very basic. I found the modules at the end a bit more interesting, but even they only scratch the surface. Someone who has basic financial knowledge probably won't learn anything new.

I would say that the course is aimed at primarily at young adults who are not particularly financially savvy, either in school or just graduated. It teaches things like "pay off highest interest first".

It doesn't take long to complete the course, if you were curious. And you can speed up the videos or just read the transcript and take the quizzes if it's too easy.
May be sign up for some young children is good.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3434 posts
1514 upvotes
This course is endorsed by Slippin' Jimmy so it must be good.
Apr 17, 2015
372 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Great free course. Everyone should take it.
Aug 5, 2012
268 posts
128 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I took it last month and it is good as a starter. Things were omitted mostly related to what financial institutions involvement and how they benefit from it as well as alternative to financial institutions.

I DO recommend it.
May 19, 2009
606 posts
867 upvotes
Vancouver
I took it last month. It's a pretty good basic course for people new to finances. I actually did learn a few new things and the course does explain in a straightforward manner. Only took about 2 hours and I like that they have the transcript version so that I can do the course without needing to turn up the volume.
May 7, 2015
45 posts
5 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Definitely worth taking if you're a beginner in finance and need somewhere to start. This is what got my wife to learn the basics!

IMO, you could skip the lessons on strategic budget building by going right to the quiz (unless you don't have a good idea of where your money is going) and behavioral finance (which is something that would take much longer to have any kind of useful understanding of it).
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1360 posts
3942 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Agreed
Very basic. Did learn a thing or 2 as well. Took about 2 hours to complete all the modules.

Now I have a finance degree from McGill.

Face With Tears Of Joy🤣Face With Tears Of Joy🤣
What's in your wallet?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)