Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 18, 2013
349 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto

Meanwhile in Vancouver..... door knobs banned

[QUOTE]Vancouver is the only city in Canada with its own building code, so the changes made here are often chased into the B.C. Building Code and Canada’s National Building Code, and then put into practice in cities and towns across Canada. Vancouver’s influence is wide. And as go the codes, so too goes the construction industry.

Remember the regular toilet? Try to find one. Low-flush is all there is to be had. The incandescent light bulb? Sorry, just energy-saving fluorescent or LED now in most stores.

The change has crept up on us silently and without fanfare. Look at any new condo building. Any new office door. Any door to a public washroom that doesn’t have pneumatic hinges and a push-pad. There they are, these silver, black or brass-coloured levers that can spring a door open with even a forearm when hands are filled.

And, as doorknobs go, so too will go those other ubiquitous knobs, the ones that turn on and off water faucets. For they too are being legislatively upgraded to levers more conducive to the arthritic, gnarled or weakened hands we earn with age.

In September, Vancouver council adopted new amendments to its building code, effective next March, that, among other things, will require lever handles on all doors and lever faucets in all new housing construction.[/QUOTE]

http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouver+h ... story.html

Glad to see a city council doing some legit work. Knobs are so passe, lever is so much easier to polish and handle.
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9004 posts
2546 upvotes
London
But what if I'm trying to keep old people out of my house?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6348 posts
3251 upvotes
Aurora
Ottomaddox wrote: But what if I'm trying to keep old people out of my house?
Use your lock?
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3217 upvotes
Calgary
Levers, instead of knobs, also minimize the amount of contact an overall hand has to have with a door. Good for germ-o-phobes who like to open doors using a handkerchief or with part of their t-shirt covering their hand. Or even a paper towel.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2718 posts
1458 upvotes
Ottawa
I think the standard round knob is easier to polish but besides that, confusion will reign and hardware stores will have to provide extra shelf space to accommodate left hand & right hand lock sets. Vancouver will have to launch a complimentary campaign to educate people on "what's right with left and right"

Can of worms if you ask me.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Jul 16, 2008
897 posts
245 upvotes
Whatever happened to natural selection?
Jun 10, 2009
137 posts
18 upvotes
Hamilton
We had to switch all interior levers to knobs because our cat figured out how to open doors with levers
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6365 posts
211 upvotes
Wow. Who the heck thinks of this stuff? While I can certainly understand why certain things are legislated and enacted but something like this is nuts. One has to wonder if the person who pushed for this doesn't have shares in a company which makes this lever handled door openers. Next they will tell us what colour underwear we must wear. RIDICULOUS
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
174 upvotes
Shawns13 wrote: Whatever happened to natural selection?
What ever happened to compassion?
May 11, 2008
758 posts
306 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't see what the big deal is. Door knobs aren't even used for multi-family residential, commercial and industrial buildings anyway. They fall under Part 3 of the BCBC or the VBBL here in BC.
If you look in the BC Building Access handbook they even have a diagram with the door knob crossed out. It's been that way for at least the last 15+ years.

As for single family residential buildings they fall under Part 9 so they weren't as strict.
Even though it's in the VBBL now, it's not going to make much difference...most clients want to install levers anyway.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20649 posts
4752 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I don't see why people are complaining. When everyone becomes a senior in the future, you will be thanking the government for making your life easier.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35453 posts
9472 upvotes
Ottawa
I did not read anywhere that door knobs are "banned". They will be on houses for many many years to come and will still be available in stores.
Yes, the building code in Vancouver has changed to making lever type handles a requirement but, rond knobs are far from being banned. Like the article states, building codes change all the time and no one normally takes notice.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21687 posts
298 upvotes
Newmarket
everybody, think of the children!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11805 posts
2347 upvotes
swatson46n2 wrote: We had to switch all interior levers to knobs because our cat figured out how to open doors with levers
Same with mine... and my cats are pervs. Whenever someone is in the washroom, they have to open the door. I really should get that lock fixed.
May 31, 2013
147 posts
4 upvotes
Burnaby
I saw this and don't agree with it. I prefer door knobs. My condo only uses levers which are especially easy to poke/scrape/ding/cut yourself on. If we want to start banning things I think it's levers that should be banned. JMHO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)