[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2749 posts
540 upvotes
Vancouver

Measuring Cup With Engraved Numbers?

Hey

I have a measuring cup that all the numbers have washed off and now it is not very useful. I am looking to buy a new one (glass) but wondering if any actually have the lines and numbers engraved on the glass instead of painted on it.

I am looking pretty much for this but just not painted numbers and lines

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oven ... p.html#srp

I can't find anything.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6930 upvotes
The NORTH
I've got a set of older Pyrex measuring cups that still have the original paint on the. You are right, the newer stuff wears off far to easily. Maybe a yard sale for some older cups might be the way to go?
May 28, 2012
11416 posts
3715 upvotes
Saskatoon
Fire King ones are the worst - both for measurements wearing off and for chipping easily.

I've seen old ones at thrift stores and they practically want brand new prices if they are in good condition. If you are buying new, I'd probably stick with Pyrex even though they aren't as good as in the past.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2749 posts
540 upvotes
Vancouver
Mars2012 wrote: Fire King ones are the worst - both for measurements wearing off and for chipping easily.

I've seen old ones at thrift stores and they practically want brand new prices if they are in good condition. If you are buying new, I'd probably stick with Pyrex even though they aren't as good as in the past.
Yeah mine is Fire King.....
Does not seem to be available
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6812 posts
3103 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I've noticed some that have the numbers moulded into the glass itself, such as this old Anchor Hocking.

WP_20210805_16_31_00_Pro.jpg

That said, I have old Pyrex and Anchor Hocking measurers and would never dream of putting them in the dishwasher.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2749 posts
540 upvotes
Vancouver
That might be. A lot of people have a problem with the lid though. The thing I don't like about it is that it has no handle what sucks if you are putting something hot in it and then need to pour it into something. Maybe not end of the world but still wish it had a handle.

I also see this on both the one you linked and the one I originally linked:

"This product carries a 5 year exchange warranty redeemable at any Canadian Tire store."

How does that work? Do I got to keep a screenshot of the website picture as not sure if this product/listing will be still around in 5 years.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Don't put them in the dishwasher, it will wear off the numbers on most measuring cups.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
Check out Cambro Camwear polycarbonate measuring cups. They are lightweight compared to glass so they are easier to manage/lift/pour when full. They come in sizes from 1 cup to 4 quarts that will take you through any task from baking through mixing cement ;) They have raised measurements on both sides with red lettering, one side metric, one side imperial/US. They are microwavable. I have been using these measuring cups exclusively for the last 25 years.

https://www.hubert.ca/search/Cambro%2BC ... epartments

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Cambro+Camwe ... suring+Cup
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
lecale wrote: They come in sizes from 1 cup to 4 quarts that will take you through any task from baking through mixing cement ;)
You do have separate cups for cement and food, right? Winking Face
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: You do have separate cups for cement and food, right? Winking Face
You only need to measure the water for the cement so, uh, "no."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13601 upvotes
lecale wrote: Check out Cambro Camwear polycarbonate measuring cups. They are lightweight compared to glass so they are easier to manage/lift/pour when full. They come in sizes from 1 cup to 4 quarts that will take you through any task from baking through mixing cement ;) They have raised measurements on both sides with red lettering, one side metric, one side imperial/US. They are microwavable. I have been using these measuring cups exclusively for the last 25 years.

https://www.hubert.ca/search/Cambro%2BC ... epartments

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Cambro+Camwe ... suring+Cup
Cambro practically anything is awesome and I echo the awesomeness of said measuring cups.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.