• Jul 4th, 2022 3:58 am
Tags:
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1898 posts
2391 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I recently also tried Mountain Warehouse. Good stuff and prices. They also carry Tall sizes that fit my 36in legs fine.
Aug 24, 2015
499 posts
1803 upvotes
AB
I'm generally not a fan of the new MEC branded stuff, but I must admit their luxury camp pillows are amazing, especially for backcountry hiking as they pack small. Highly recommend.
Jan 18, 2007
119 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks OP, picked up some bike parts I had my eye on.
Jul 8, 2012
993 posts
299 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks OP, might pop by the Vancouver location to check out some sunglasses.
Feb 13, 2008
512 posts
401 upvotes
Hamilton
wut_dut_lo wrote: Thanks OP. +4% on rakuten
Damn, I didn't know they are on Rakuten.
Feb 22, 2022
26 posts
74 upvotes
thanks OP! anyone have any opinions on the three camping pillows they've got in stock? I had the camp pillow and it was OK, ended up having to return it because it had a leak. so wondering opinions on the deluxe and the air pillow, mostly.

also if there's is a light/smallish zero or better bag on sale that I can use for backcountry that anyone happens to have experience with, I'd appreciate it.
Nov 23, 2021
67 posts
117 upvotes
islackoff wrote: thanks OP! anyone have any opinions on the three camping pillows they've got in stock? I had the camp pillow and it was OK, ended up having to return it because it had a leak. so wondering opinions on the deluxe and the air pillow, mostly.

also if there's is a light/smallish zero or better bag on sale that I can use for backcountry that anyone happens to have experience with, I'd appreciate it.
Are you sure it wasn't the deluxe pillow you had? The camp pillow is just filled with foam pieces, no air bladder. The air pillow is super light but sucks to sleep on, but I really like the deluxe. Might be worth another shot to get one that doesn't leak.

As for bags, is there any specific weight or price range you're looking at? The MEC Talon series is pretty nice and 25% off. It's not the absolute lightest bag, but it's pretty versatile and between 860 and 960g depending on the length in the -5 degree version. If you want to spend a little less, the Draco series is a bit heavier but still decent bags.
Feb 22, 2022
26 posts
74 upvotes
thanks for this info! you must be right, I must have had the deluxe. I liked it quite a bit and just need one thats light and packable. just had a bit dicey ratings so it's great to hear a +1.

I'm not on a budget perse but mostly just looking for good bang for my buck on a sale. my current "UL" is a McKinley zero bag that does the trick but it's a bit heavy. that -5 sounds pretty decent, I find it gets a bit cold in the mountains. something sub 800gs would be ideal but I'm not super pressed if it's a good quality bag.

qwedss wrote: Are you sure it wasn't the deluxe pillow you had? The camp pillow is just filled with foam pieces, no air bladder. The air pillow is super light but sucks to sleep on, but I really like the deluxe. Might be worth another shot to get one that doesn't leak.

As for bags, is there any specific weight or price range you're looking at? The MEC Talon series is pretty nice and 25% off. It's not the absolute lightest bag, but it's pretty versatile and between 860 and 960g depending on the length in the -5 degree version. If you want to spend a little less, the Draco series is a bit heavier but still decent bags.
Nov 23, 2021
67 posts
117 upvotes
islackoff wrote: thanks for this info! you must be right, I must have had the deluxe. I liked it quite a bit and just need one thats light and packable. just had a bit dicey ratings so it's great to hear a +1.

I'm not on a budget perse but mostly just looking for good bang for my buck on a sale. my current "UL" is a McKinley zero bag that does the trick but it's a bit heavy. that -5 sounds pretty decent, I find it gets a bit cold in the mountains. something sub 800gs would be ideal but I'm not super pressed if it's a good quality bag.
The Talon should be quite a bit warmer than a 0 degree McKinley, and they definitely are good bags. There's also this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6017-330/ ... rctic+Navy I I don't have any personal experience with the marmot bags, and looking at it I would guess it's pretty optimistically rated, but it looks like a nice bag. Anything more expensive than that though, and I'd be looking at going for something from the likes of Western Mountaineering.
May 18, 2020
14 posts
30 upvotes
islackoff wrote: thanks for this info! you must be right, I must have had the deluxe. I liked it quite a bit and just need one thats light and packable. just had a bit dicey ratings so it's great to hear a +1.

I use the Marmot Nimbus pillow and it is probably my favourite backpacking gear purchase to date.

It has the same size air valve as my Exped air mat so I can use the same pump sack for both. It weighs maybe 50 or 60gms and folds up tiny, maybe the size of a passport or smaller, and is barely a cm thick and very flexible/bendable in the included sack, so it packs up nicely and fits into my mat's stuffsack too. It's so comfortable - you can max fill it for a very firm pillow, but I usually let a bit of air out as I'm used to less tall pillows.

Got it on sale at Altitude Sports for $22 last year, I think regular price is around $40. The seams and material seem very durable so I don't see it needing replacement any time soon, but I would pay full price for it if I had to. Best value/function/weight/size piece of gear in my kit for +QOL on trail. Highly recommend!
May 13, 2013
281 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Works to get a price adjustment on MEC branded items you purchased recently too!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1591 posts
924 upvotes
Guncho wrote: 25% off MEC branded gear until July 4.
Looks like now that they're privately owned, they change pricing to make sales look better. Was in store the other day and the sale price now is the same as the regular price in store.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1843 posts
311 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Bigboy16 wrote: I recently also tried Mountain Warehouse. Good stuff and prices. They also carry Tall sizes that fit my 36in legs fine.
Mountain Warehouse is the old Navy of outdoor gear.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1843 posts
311 upvotes
Oakville, ON
city_grey wrote: "Excludes clothing"
Yep that's why I said gear.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1843 posts
311 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Chickennbeans wrote: Looks like now that they're privately owned, they change pricing to make sales look better. Was in store the other day and the sale price now is the same as the regular price in store.
Yeah I don't think so.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1591 posts
924 upvotes
Guncho wrote: Yeah I don't think so.
I wouldn't think so either, but that's the case on at least the one item I was planning to buy. Perhaps the in-store signage was wrong.

Sale prices signs at MEC are usually in unmissable red, so you know it's not regular price.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2851 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
I opened a Rakuten account just for this. Does anyone have experience on how quickly the rebate posts onto the account? Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)