Mec.ca - No longer authorized seller for Morakniv Products

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 7:23 pm
[OP]
Dec 5, 2006
184 posts
57 upvotes

Mec.ca - No longer authorized seller for Morakniv Products

Any idea why Morakniv products are no longer sold on Mec.ca ? They were an authorized seller for Morakniv for years I am wondering if this has to do with the Pandemic and stock issues from Sweden?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
620 upvotes
DT Calgary
jackrabbit000 wrote: Sorry, don’t even have a clue on what Morakniv is.
Same. Sounds Russian tho.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4083 posts
2864 upvotes
Montreal
Do you know they are dropped or just out of stock? A lot of stores are having stock issue right now, local bike shop even ran out of ball bearings.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11681 posts
532 upvotes
There are rumours going around that, as they struggle financially, MEC are changing their payment terms. It's possible some suppliers don't want to wait 90 days to get paid for stock they supply - especially from one that seems to be at risk of going under.
Dec 3, 2008
501 posts
106 upvotes
mbg wrote: There are rumours going around that, as they struggle financially, MEC are changing their payment terms. It's possible some suppliers don't want to wait 90 days to get paid for stock they supply - especially from one that seems to be at risk of going under.
Oh man I hope not! Used to shop at mec quite frequently. Always preferred them vs the American chains if they had what I needed.

There don't seem to be many competitors in their space, but maybe the product is too niche to make enough money.

I actually bought my Mora from mec years ago.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14727 posts
19599 upvotes
Vancouver
Georgie336 wrote: Oh man I hope not! Used to shop at mec quite frequently. Always preferred them vs the American chains if they had what I needed.

There don't seem to be many competitors in their space, but maybe the product is too niche to make enough money.

I guess you've never been to the four blocks of West Broadway between Yukon and Manitoba streets in Vancouver? Every other business is a MEC competitor.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11681 posts
532 upvotes
Georgie336 wrote: Oh man I hope not! Used to shop at mec quite frequently. Always preferred them vs the American chains if they had what I needed.

A lot of people think their struggles are due to fancy retail expansion combined with a move toward expensive, brand-name outdoorsy-feeling fashion over their real outdoor roots combined with lacklustre online fulfillment efficiency, all precipitated by an MBA-type management team in the last decade or so rather than the outdoor people that started the whole thing.

I mean, their current CEO used to be a Best Buy executive and the one before that came from Adidas, so it's really been about 13 years since they had a CEO that was connected to environmental/outdoor/social issues. The CEOs since 2007 have been focused on retail expansion and turning MEC into a lifestyle brand.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
mbg wrote: A lot of people think their struggles are due to fancy retail expansion combined with a move toward expensive, brand-name outdoorsy-feeling fashion over their real outdoor roots combined with lacklustre online fulfillment efficiency, all precipitated by an MBA-type management team in the last decade or so rather than the outdoor people that started the whole thing.

I mean, their current CEO used to be a Best Buy executive and the one before that came from Adidas, so it's really been about 13 years since they had a CEO that was connected to environmental/outdoor/social issues. The CEOs since 2007 have been focused on retail expansion and turning MEC into a lifestyle brand.
This is what happens when the co-ops allow themselves to be run by MBA majors, death.
Dec 3, 2008
501 posts
106 upvotes
mbg wrote: A lot of people think their struggles are due to fancy retail expansion combined with a move toward expensive, brand-name outdoorsy-feeling fashion over their real outdoor roots combined with lacklustre online fulfillment efficiency, all precipitated by an MBA-type management team in the last decade or so rather than the outdoor people that started the whole thing.

Interesting! Thanks for the tidbit. They definitely had been moving in that direction the last few years- though it is hard to blame a company for trying to make money.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11681 posts
532 upvotes
Georgie336 wrote: Interesting! Thanks for the tidbit. They definitely had been moving in that direction the last few years- though it is hard to blame a company for trying to make money.
Agree. Any retailer that wants to make it today has to be more experience-oriented, or they need to have a strong and profitable online offering. MEC's website is decent but their fulfillment is apparently very inefficient.

MEC wasn't going to make it in retail by carrying 75 types of carabiner for climbers to buy a handful of times a year. That is what some people think they need to return to :)

They are still a great place to see and buy a variety of quality outdoor equipment in one place, and their prices on those things are decent (if you recognize that most of their stuff has an expensive starting price).

It's unfortunate that they have not found a business model that works well in the current environment.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11681 posts
532 upvotes
jacnel wrote: This is what happens when the co-ops allow themselves to be run by MBA majors, death.
Well, it works for a while... but it often doesn't work long-term. Filling your management ranks with MBAs is like one level better than being taken over by a private equity firm as far as long-term viability goes.

MEC doesn't have as much of an excuse as some others, though - they are not beholden to shareholders and short-term profit-seeking.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
mbg wrote: Well, it works for a while... but it often doesn't work long-term. Filling your management ranks with MBAs is like one level better than being taken over by a private equity firm as far as long-term viability goes.

MEC doesn't have as much of an excuse as some others, though - they are not beholden to shareholders and short-term profit-seeking.
It was the board that hired them and gave them the marching orders to expand. Naturally, if they are executives from the corporate sector, they probably asked for a lot of money and the terms of which included driving retail growth. This was decided by the board.

They need to decide what they want to be when they grow up and build the company accordingly. If they want to grow their online, there is a lot more than jazzing up the website that needs to be done on the back end to support that. Or do they want to grow their retail? Most companies can only focus at one thing at a time and do it relatively well. Going by comments on how the various stores are being managed, it is just all over the place.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11681 posts
532 upvotes
maple1 wrote: It was the board that hired them and gave them the marching orders to expand. Naturally, if they are executives from the corporate sector, they probably asked for a lot of money and the terms of which included driving retail growth. This was decided by the board.

They need to decide what they want to be when they grow up and build the company accordingly. If they want to grow their online, there is a lot more than jazzing up the website that needs to be done on the back end to support that. Or do they want to grow their retail? Most companies can only focus at one thing at a time and do it relatively well. Going by comments on how the various stores are being managed, it is just all over the place.
Agree, though being a co-op the board is elected by whichever folks with their $5 membership bother to vote in the elections.

There has been some janky stuff going on with Board of Directors elections at MEC, where at election time the board tags a bunch of their favourite nominees as "recommended" board members and then put them at the top of the selection list, followed by the non-recommended members. All of this powered by a "vote for a chance to win a gift card" offer where someone who just want to qualify for a gift card will login and check the first few boxes required to get an entry.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
mbg wrote: Agree, though being a co-op the board is elected by whichever folks with their $5 membership bother to vote in the elections.

There has been some janky stuff going on with Board of Directors elections at MEC, where at election time the board tags a bunch of their favourite nominees as "recommended" board members and then put them at the top of the selection list, followed by the non-recommended members. All of this powered by a "vote for a chance to win a gift card" offer where someone who just want to qualify for a gift card will login and check the first few boxes required to get an entry.
Hope this current environment is something that they can come out of and be stronger for it. Here in Toronto, not many options for this type of equipment aside from Atmosphere at least in term of breath of offerings and MEC wins by a mile in terms of selection. Sail just pulled out of the area so the pickings are slim. I pass by their downtown Toronto store a few times a week and there is always a lineup to get in on weekends since retail as reopened, so at least people are still visiting the store.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)