Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
MEC

MEC Free Shipping No Minimum Today Only

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 11:36 am
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18051 posts
10853 upvotes
Ottawa
CDRoot wrote: Be careful with this store. Their rock solid guarantee is not that good. Took a goreTex jacket in as it's letting water through. It's around 5 year mark. They refused to exchange/refund it.
Porfiry wrote: That said, have you tried re-waterproofing your GoreTex? These waterproof fabrics do need regular washing and treatment to restore their waterproofing performance, because it naturally degrades with use. I do my ski gear annually. Search for "Tech wash" or "Grangers".
One of the biggest scams is the idea of waterproof breathable fabric. Mostly these fabrics have a little bit of breathability and mainly rely on the DWR coating to repel most of the water.

To keep these fabrics repelling water, indeed you need to retreat the fabric. I find the Graingers works ok but it still wears down fast and you have to do it regularly.

https://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-cl ... ain-pants/
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1495 posts
1004 upvotes
rancid82 wrote: Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? If the goretex is failing the manufacturers will be your best course of action. My friends have had successfully warrantied the north face jackets when the waterproofing failed. This was done through North Face. Unless you're was an me branded one? But even then the goretex is guaranteed for life if I remember correctly.
Manufacturer is MEC! Yes we've washed it and used the DWR. The mec returns person said 5 years is end of life for goreTex so he can't help. I heard the returns person next to us trying to reject a pair of Merrell shoes that was only used a few months. Said the tread looks like it was used on concrete/asphalt so can't return it. MEC got a new management a while ago, so I think their returns policy might be different.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4329 posts
3477 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
CDRoot wrote: Manufacturer is MEC! Yes we've washed it and used the DWR. The mec returns person said 5 years is end of life for goreTex so he can't help.
"I paid top dollar for this technical outdoor gear, and I expect I should be able to pass it on to my grandchildren!" smh
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1661 posts
975 upvotes
joo wrote: Is membership still required to place an order?
No, they're no longer a co op - privately owned now after the board of directors ran the financials into the ground.
May 30, 2018
115 posts
153 upvotes
MEC is transferring ownership to USA, so the lifetime warranty is probably gone soon
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1174 posts
1301 upvotes
Surrey
CDRoot wrote: Manufacturer is MEC! Yes we've washed it and used the DWR. The mec returns person said 5 years is end of life for goreTex so he can't help. I heard the returns person next to us trying to reject a pair of Merrell shoes that was only used a few months. Said the tread looks like it was used on concrete/asphalt so can't return it. MEC got a new management a while ago, so I think their returns policy might be different.
Seems about right for the service life of goretex if used frequently. I have found that keeping up with the DWR treatments on a monthly basis on my ski pants and jacket was helpful. My jacket (mountain Hardwear) is over 5 years old and is still like new. I changed habits when my older ski jacket lost its waterproofing abilities and same with my pants. It has made a difference. I use Granger's waterproofing for reference if you were looking to try something. I don't use the all in one wash. For the garment wash I use nikwax and then after the wash cycle is done, I put in the Granger's. I use my gear often and it's used 4 days a week at minimum during winter so keeping up a routine seemed to help keep my gear in as best shape as possible.

Not doubting your abilities or anything with the wash so if it comes across that way, it's not meant to. You may want to try and soak the entire jacket in the DWR treatment for a few days. Let it all absorb into the fibers and then wash it. This ensures the fibers are all saturated with the DWR stuff. Dry it and see what happens? I have heard of people using this method with good results and I know you maybe able to send it into either nikwax or Granger's and they will do it for you. I have read on the gear forums some people were able to get that done. There maybe a cost or it could be part of their performance guarantee. May want to explore that option and see.
Jun 4, 2011
547 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: One of the biggest scams is the idea of waterproof breathable fabric. Mostly these fabrics have a little bit of breathability and mainly rely on the DWR coating to repel most of the water.

To keep these fabrics repelling water, indeed you need to retreat the fabric. I find the Graingers works ok but it still wears down fast and you have to do it regularly.

Goretex is waterproof though when the DWR goes it loses some of its breathability but it is always waterproof.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 4, 2012
5017 posts
4465 upvotes
Angultra wrote: MEC is better but at least get one somewhere, still see lots of cyclists with no lights whatsoever.
Better is subjective. I'm sure MEC stuff coming out from same place as Dollarama stuff in China but at a premium.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3644 upvotes
GTA
muffin4life wrote: Hmm... expensive and not good reviews. Better off just going to Dollarama.
if you compare any product you can buy at Dollarama with anything else, yup expensive.

mec is good. not as good as they used to be, but still good. I find them fair and the prices are decent for the products they sell. Find it cheaper, and they match.
I haven't had many returns or issues, but never had any problems (though no experience with this since they changed ownership).
As a private company now (vs. co-op), I shop them vs. others, and buy on price/quality/availability. Spent more at mec this year than many past years.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3644 upvotes
GTA
muffin4life wrote: Better is subjective. I'm sure MEC stuff coming out from same place as Dollarama stuff in China but at a premium.
That's a bit of a stretch. Got anything to back up "I'm sure".
Apple sells chargers and many other products made in China. "I'm sure Apple stuff coming out from same place as Dollarama stuff in China but at a premium."

We like cheap stuff, which is why manufacturing moved from high wage, unionized countries to those that are not. From those places, you can get both good and bad products. Then again, back when we made lots of stuff in North America, you could also buy crap made here. :D
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3644 upvotes
GTA
And thanks OP. Bought a bunch more things, probably enough to get free shipping anyway any other day. ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2807 posts
6122 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote: One of the biggest scams is the idea of waterproof breathable fabric. Mostly these fabrics have a little bit of breathability and mainly rely on the DWR coating to repel most of the water.

This is so wrong it's not even funny.

DWR provides the first line of defense, once that is gone or the material wets out you will FEEL the moisture much more. It does NOT mean the garment is now "not waterproof".

Two of the most important things about goretex

1) Cleaning OFTEN, with a CLEAN detergent, if not the graingers wash, fabric can't do it's job if it's dirty with skin oils and dirt and grime
2) Re-DWR however the garment manufacturer wants you to do it

Goretex has a lifetime warranty on their crap. The fact that the retailer says it's 5 years EOL is bullshit. I've warrantied almost every single goretex i've bought. They WILL delaminate in time. All of them. I've also worked at an arcteryx retailer selling many versions of their fabric.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18051 posts
10853 upvotes
Ottawa
danascully wrote: This is so wrong it's not even funny.

DWR provides the first line of defense, once that is gone or the material wets out you will FEEL the moisture much more. It does NOT mean the garment is now "not waterproof".

Two of the most important things about goretex

1) Cleaning OFTEN, with a CLEAN detergent, if not the graingers wash, fabric can't do it's job if it's dirty with skin oils and dirt and grime
2) Re-DWR however the garment manufacturer wants you to do it

Goretex has a lifetime warranty on their crap. The fact that the retailer says it's 5 years EOL is bullshit. I've warrantied almost every single goretex i've bought. They WILL delaminate in time. All of them. I've also worked at an arcteryx retailer selling many versions of their fabric.
Waterproofness is not absolute. Even Goretex rates their different fabrics with different waterproof ratings. These fabrics are not waterproof, it's just very water resistant. If it rains hard enough or long enough, some water will get through. And the breathability is limited.....I'm always a hot sweaty box with pit zips and venting. Basically I'm saying don't buy into the hype, these fabrics don't live up to their promise....they are very water resistant and have a small degree of breathability.

I used the regular, Pro, and even their recent ShakeDry Goretex fabrics jogging, hiking and walking. They are water resistant fabrics with some limited breathability, and the DWR is the weak point, Maybe they don't lose waterresistance, but it's effectively as bad when the DWR goes.

I do the tech wash clean and Grangers every year for all my jackets. I find applying directly with the spray and sealing in with the dryer works best.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Jun 5, 2008
679 posts
409 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I stopped shopping there since they dumped VistaOutdoors. I was under the impression that we had a word to say since it was a coop and all... My 2 cents
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18051 posts
10853 upvotes
Ottawa
About DWR, my friend bought a new jacket with the new environmentally responsible DWR (PFC free). Can't remember which brand of jacket, but the DWR wore out even faster than past jackets. All my jackets are from before they started switching over to PFC Free DWR, and I found the DWR lasted about a year or so in moderate use before I felt the need to respray and started getting that wetted out feeling.

I jog with a Goretex ShakeDry jacket and there is no separate DWR coating on that jacket and mostly it works. Breathability is higher (but still very limited) and you don't have to replenish the DWR because the fabric is just pure goretex membrane (no DWR layer). It's too bad the fabric will tear if you breath on it, I'm on my second jacket.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24796 posts
32530 upvotes
MEC is an interesting reseller.

They assured me seven ways from Sunday that they'd do no hassle returns.

When I came in to return some wrong fit disappointing clothing wear, they fought me up to the manager who said he would only perform a return on this one-off basis.

Haven't been back since.

What is it with haughty taughty navel gazing brands and the need to say one thing and do another? I literally said your return policy is no hassle like Costco, and the clerk said yes.

Garbage.
Jul 4, 2016
40 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks OP.

Bought some camping biodegradable soap.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
8023 posts
4911 upvotes
West GTEH!
cashinstinct wrote: It’s free though to be a member now
Since it’s not a coop anymore.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4015-985/ ... membership
WTH??
So, MEC Members that paid the $5 Membership years ago, what happened to all this money?? Pocketed by Management? New Owners? What a Scam. They should at least Refund the $5. or issue a Credit. It's the Principle about this Fee. Smiling Face With Horns
😎