Hot Deals

MEC

HoneyStinger Exercise Food up to 55% off ($0.97/Waffle & Gel)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2021 2:30 pm
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1515 upvotes

[MEC] HoneyStinger Exercise Food up to 55% off ($0.97/Waffle & Gel)

I use these Waffles a lot on rides. They're good! $0.97 is a pretty great deal. Gels also on sale for $0.97 (In-Store only).

The Gummies are only on sale for $1.97 (24% off) but so are the Protein Bars (44%).

$50 for free shipping but easy to find some other clearance items to pad the cart, or choose pick in-store pickup
18 replies
Dec 8, 2010
120 posts
104 upvotes
British Columbia
Thanks OP! These are really good products at really good prices. Loaded up my shopping cart for future fondos!
Jan 4, 2007
244 posts
30 upvotes
Nice find OP. I've used and like their gels but have never tried the waffles. Do you have flavour suggestions? I think I'll avoid the GF flavours unless told otherwise......
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1515 upvotes
nocash wrote: Nice find OP. I've used and like their gels but have never tried the waffles. Do you have flavour suggestions? I think I'll avoid the GF flavours unless told otherwise......
I've tried them all and honestly don't really find a difference in the GF versus normal ones. They're generally a bit dry (way better than Cliff bars though), so I think the GF ones don't really taste much different.

They all taste 'fine' in my opinion, none of them taste great necessarily. I actually wouldn't even be able to tell you which flavor is which now that I think about it, and I have had them all haha.

Generally I like them because:
1) I can fit many into my jersey at once
2) I can eat while I pedal and they aren't hard to chew or dry like some bars are. I find some bars/food tough to eat while pedaling because I can't easily chew/swallow without then swapping for some water, but these waffles go down easy!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1989 posts
1092 upvotes
How are the waffles for portability? Can open/eat while riding?

Ive always just had gels and Cliff bars for solids, never thought of getting waffles
Oct 22, 2017
12 posts
28 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: How are the waffles for portability? Can open/eat while riding?

Ive always just had gels and Cliff bars for solids, never thought of getting waffles
I'd say 2 inches by 2 inches maybe? It's not as small as a gel, but it's not too bad. Definitely portable though, I always stick a few of them in my hydration vest for my long trail runs.

Thanks OP, btw. Loaded up my cart for my upcoming ultras!
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1515 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: How are the waffles for portability? Can open/eat while riding?

They're so thin, you can fit so many in a jersey.

As for opening whole riding, you could, but I tend to cut open the end on the morning of a ride and then I don't have to deal with that.

The only negative is when you put the wrapper back in your jersey you will inevitably get waffle dust/crumbs in the pocket
Feb 13, 2006
717 posts
714 upvotes
JasonTTL wrote: These are sugar packets
Ah, damn it. Can someone link to the Stevia version? That should be perfect next time I'm bonking during a workout. Thanks!!
Feb 11, 2009
280 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Got a few for the next half training.... and got a hydration pack that I've been debating to get.
Woo hoo! Free shipping.
Jul 30, 2010
245 posts
74 upvotes
Woodbridge
What actually are these things? Sugar, potassium, and salt?
Jan 22, 2012
116 posts
128 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks OP. Only had one bag of stingers left, so stocked up.

Chose pick up in store.
Some will be available tomorrow. Others in 3 - 5 days.

Also found dog booties on clearance… which I don’t need, but bought. I hope the old dog appreciates. Lol
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1515 upvotes
JasonTTL wrote: These are sugar packets
If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't comment.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1515 upvotes
mark_98 wrote: What actually are these things? Sugar, potassium, and salt?
Yes, all the things your body needs for endurance cardio workouts, without all of the things you don't want during endurance cardio workouts. Wow! Amazing!
Jul 30, 2010
245 posts
74 upvotes
Woodbridge
mikebmt wrote: Yes, all the things your body needs for endurance cardio workouts, without all of the things you don't want during endurance cardio workouts. Wow! Amazing!
So how effective are they? I've never used em, but figure itll be a good idea for longer bike rides. I do 3ish hours rides and at the halfway point chug a sports drink
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1515 upvotes
mark_98 wrote: So how effective are they? I've never used em, but figure itll be a good idea for longer bike rides. I do 3ish hours rides and at the halfway point chug a sports drink
Very effective. Depends on how hard you ride.

When riding above threshold your body tends to only consume your glycogen stores, which are refueled by carbohydrates.

Over time, once you've depleted those stores, you "Bonk" (we've all seen videos of the marathoner who can barely stagger across the finish line like a zombie) which is when your body starts to revolt.

The best way to replenish these glycogen stores is to eat carbs. But ideally, only carbs, as they are very quickly digested and turned into glycogen in your blood stream for your muscles to use.

Serious athletes can expect to eat 30-60 grams of carbs per hour when doing longer rides of 90 minutes or more, or even 60 minute efforts if you're really pushing yourself.

If you eat "real food" while on a ride like that, #1, your body won't process the sugars into glycogen quickly enough before you Bonk and #2, you'll fill your stomach with real food and riding another multiple hours will be uncomfortable.

Competitive athletes can consume as much as 90g per hour, and do so by mixing different types of sugars such that the body can actually handle/absorb that much carbs.

Personally, I used to Bonk after about 3 hours before I learned this stuff and even then the last hour of that was not very fun. Now that I eat carbs I can continue for much longer at a much faster pace than before.

So I find them extremely effective!
Nov 29, 2010
179 posts
50 upvotes
got a half marathon tomorrow - perfect timing thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1842 posts
3857 upvotes
Vancouver
I like the Honey Stinger waffles. They're tasty. But they're pretty much the same thing as the much cheaper Stroopwaffles sold at places like Costco.
I compared the nutritional info and they're really similar. The Honey Stingers are made with organic ingredients if that matters to you. It doesn't to me. And the Honey Stingers are individually packaged which is convenient... but wrapping the Stroopwaffles in bit of plastic wrap or ziplock bag is easy. I don't think I will buy Honey Stinger waffles again, even when discounted.

Honey Stinger gels are good too. I've used them for many long runs. I find them a bit too sweet though. But that's personal preferene. The consistency is less gooey than Clif shots or Gu.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2018
690 posts
1515 upvotes
coolwasabi wrote: I like the Honey Stinger waffles. They're tasty. But they're pretty much the same thing as the much cheaper Stroopwaffles sold at places like Costco.
I compared the nutritional info and they're really similar. The Honey Stingers are made with organic ingredients if that matters to you. It doesn't to me. And the Honey Stingers are individually packaged which is convenient... but wrapping the Stroopwaffles in bit of plastic wrap or ziplock bag is easy. I don't think I will buy Honey Stinger waffles again, even when discounted.

Honey Stinger gels are good too. I've used them for many long runs. I find them a bit too sweet though. But that's personal preferene. The consistency is less gooey than Clif shots or Gu.

Pro tip for the best energy gel you can have:

Maple Syrup!

Get a soft flask (google hydrapak soft flask) and store as much as you want. It's literally the same thing, but all natural and extremely cheap. It's been my go to fuel for the last couple of months now. A few companies have even started selling it as energy gels in the same packets and stuff (get tapped) but why pay the premium just for packaging? Similar to your stroopwaffel thing.

It's funny, stroopwaffel is how I explain what the honey stingers are to other people, but I never thought to check the difference and just buy the actual stroops. Thanks for the tip!