MEC

MEC Mens Insulated Ski Pants 50% off

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2022 1:46 am
27 replies
Dec 22, 2016
65 posts
36 upvotes
How are these with respect to price and quality for snow pants for shovelling/snowblower use? Looking for a pair of pants for that purpose. And how's the sizing on these? Should I get the same as what I wear in jeans/pants?
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1337 posts
278 upvotes
Tx op. Didn't know I needed this, wasn't looking for it, and also not sure if the price lines up with the quality.

However I went on a ski trip with a cousin this past March, and he was sporting Patagonia pants in "gingerbread" that his fiance found for cheap at a thrift store. And I guess subconsciously it's been bothering me that I don't have fancy gingerbread ski pants.

Problem solved.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2006
232 posts
554 upvotes
Regina
I bought them at 40% off a couple weeks ago. Mec price adjusted to the 50% off cause the price drop was within 30 days. They feel good quality, a bit bulky, which is what I want to fit a good layer under them on those cold days. Overall happy with the purchase.
Jun 14, 2010
19 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. I was actually waiting on a snowpants deal. I'm gonna try and rock the gingerbread colour as well while I tumble down the slopes.
Nov 23, 2004
963 posts
298 upvotes
Trigger wrote: Tx op. Didn't know I needed this, wasn't looking for it, and also not sure if the price lines up with the quality.

However I went on a ski trip with a cousin this past March, and he was sporting Patagonia pants in "gingerbread" that his fiance found for cheap at a thrift store. And I guess subconsciously it's been bothering me that I don't have fancy gingerbread ski pants.

Problem solved.
What color jacket? Black?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1458 posts
3018 upvotes
Is this that much better than the decathlon snow pants...? 6x better? Ive been using decathlons for winter camping and theyre perfect
Apr 28, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
Anyone know if there's a short version of this? I'm 5'7 and this looks to be a 32' inseam :(
Jun 14, 2017
402 posts
294 upvotes
Montreal
FrankS84869 wrote: Anyone know if there's a short version of this? I'm 5'7 and this looks to be a 32' inseam :(
I'm looking for the opposite lol... 32 is wayyy too short
AT&T Group Plan Admin
Jun 30, 2014
152 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Waterproof rating quite low, 2000mm
It's fine if you don't sit or fall in the snow. I'd imagine this getting wetout quite easily
I generally look for 20k waterproofing
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3761 posts
1892 upvotes
Vancouver
FrankS84869 wrote: Anyone know if there's a short version of this? I'm 5'7 and this looks to be a 32' inseam :(
bman95 wrote: I'm looking for the opposite lol... 32 is wayyy too short
I'm Goldilocking, because 32" is just perfect!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1768 posts
1110 upvotes
This is RFD at its finest. Buy your snow pants in June and your AC units in December.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4383 posts
1245 upvotes
West Side GTA
ish927 wrote: How are these with respect to price and quality for snow pants for shovelling/snowblower use? Looking for a pair of pants for that purpose. And how's the sizing on these? Should I get the same as what I wear in jeans/pants?
For your purpose wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy amazon snow pants if you're just looking for a set to shovel snow and walk around in as opposed to hitting the slopes?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2654 posts
2135 upvotes
Damn no fat man sizes guess that excludes me for now. Getting tired of using my snowmobile pants for regular snow pants, really not meant for it lol
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Aug 4, 2014
16 posts
19 upvotes
I definitively can use a pair of new ski pants lol
Can anyone comment on the quality?
Nov 23, 2004
963 posts
298 upvotes
iCanFly416 wrote: Waterproof rating quite low, 2000mm
It's fine if you don't sit or fall in the snow. I'd imagine this getting wetout quite easily
I generally look for 20k waterproofing
Agreed. But I wonder if it's a typo? I think my hiking pants is more than 2k.
Nov 23, 2004
963 posts
298 upvotes
Trigger wrote: Yep. Presume this is ok and not a fashion faux pas?
Lol. I think it's fine - probably how I would rock it. But I'm no fashionista.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1808 posts
1661 upvotes
ish927 wrote: How are these with respect to price and quality for snow pants for shovelling/snowblower use? Looking for a pair of pants for that purpose. And how's the sizing on these? Should I get the same as what I wear in jeans/pants?
If you are a Costco member and just want pants for outside work then you can get them cheaper at Costco. Judging by what's on sale at places right now Costco should be rolling out winter gear anytime as soon as they remove all the back to school stuff in a week.

Costco doesn't have gingerbread color though if you want the Carhartt look :)
Jun 12, 2003
868 posts
44 upvotes
Markham
2000mm rating is a bit low like others said. The Burton sale currently has a few options around this price and they are all 10,000mm waterproof rating at least, although not many sizes left.