Expired Hot Deals

[MEC] MEC : MSR stoves 25% off (price 45-255$)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 8:57 am
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 1, 2018
81 posts
90 upvotes

[MEC] MEC : MSR stoves 25% off (price 45-255$)

Hi everyone,

I just found out that MEC is selling MSR stoves 25% off. It doesn't seem that much but MSR are great products and rarely (never) go on sale. These are excellent for hiking, bike touring or any expedition.

Note: If you are car camping, this might not be the best for your needs and better with a much cheaper Coleman stove.

Link: https://www.mec.ca/en/products/camping- ... nclearance

For example:

- PocketRocket 2 : 44.96$
- PocketRocket Deluxe : 63.71$
- Whisperlite : 89.96$
- Whisperlite international : 97.46$
- Dragonfly : 138.71$

I just ordered a Whisperlite international, which works with white gas, unleaded gas and kerosene. It is used around the globe on the most epic adventures.

Review from CyclingAbout, a guy that traveled 80+ countries so far using it :

https://www.cyclingabout.com/review-msr ... ale-stove/

Happy trails to all
28 replies
Jr. Member
Jan 14, 2006
136 posts
30 upvotes
I have both a PocketRocket 2 and a Whisperlite Universal - I'm very happy with both.
Member
Jun 18, 2016
497 posts
1429 upvotes
Holy cow what a steal! If I needed another stove I would definitely get this. For those who want help choosing:

- You car camp a couple times / year -> Pocket Rocket
- You backcountry camp -> Whisperlite
- You backcountry camp + want the flexibility of using butane canisters -> Whisperlite Universal (note: international can't use canisters)
- You backcountry camp + want to simmer food -> Dragonfly

Note: The dragonfly is MUCH louder than the Whisperlite (hence the name). Being in the backcountry makes that much worse because everything around you is so quiet.

By the way, I don't know anyone who actively uses unleaded gasonline or kerosene (unless they're backpacking on a different continent). They make the bottom of your pot/stove sooty. You can get White Gas (aka Naptha) at Canadian Tire for cheap, sold as Coleman Fuel. MSR also has their own branded white gas which burns cleaner than Coleman, but either will work.

Don't forget to order an MSR fuel bottle if you're using any of the White Gas stoves (not included). Personally I use the smallest size (325ml) and carry extra fuel in a HDPE Nalgene: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1601-129/ ... ter-Bottle
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 1, 2018
81 posts
90 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote: Holy cow what a steal! If I needed another stove I would definitely get this. For those who want help choosing:

- You car camp a couple times / year -> Pocket Rocket
- You backcountry camp -> Whisperlite
- You backcountry camp + want the flexibility of using butane canisters -> Whisperlite Universal (note: international can't use canisters)
- You backcountry camp + want to simmer food -> Dragonfly

Note: The dragonfly is MUCH louder than the Whisperlite (hence the name). Being in the backcountry makes that much worse because everything around you is so quiet.

By the way, I don't know anyone who actively uses unleaded gasonline or kerosene (unless they're backpacking on a different continent). They make the bottom of your pot/stove sooty. You can get White Gas (aka Naptha) at Canadian Tire for cheap, sold as Coleman Fuel. MSR also has their own branded white gas which burns cleaner than Coleman, but either will work.

Don't forget to order an MSR fuel bottle if you're using any of the White Gas stoves (not included). Personally I use the smallest size (325ml) and carry extra fuel in a HDPE Nalgene: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1601-129/ ... ter-Bottle
I agree on 99% on your post, beside the Pocket Rocket vs Whisperlite.

- Pocket Rocket = canister and for ultralight. If you are cooking Knorrs, ramens, instant potatoes and simply boiling water. (let say 0-5 min)
- Whisperlite = fuel and much heavier, but it is made for real cooking (let say 5-30 min)

99% of thru-hiker uses a pocket rocket or equivalent (BRS-3000T in my case) for months in a row because it's very light. I have not seen a single person thru-hiking on the AT with a fuel stove because it is so heavy.
On the other hand, lots of bike tourer (cyclotourist) can carry more weight on their bike so they will have larger cook pot and thus, fuel stove.
Member
Jun 18, 2016
497 posts
1429 upvotes
LaurentD88313 wrote: I agree on 99% on your post, beside the Pocket Rocket vs Whisperlite.

- Pocket Rocket = canister and for ultralight. If you are cooking Knorrs, ramens, instant potatoes and simply boiling water. (let say 0-5 min)
- Whisperlite = fuel and much heavier, but it is made for real cooking (let say 5-30 min)

99% of thru-hiker uses a pocket rocket or equivalent (BRS-3000T in my case) for months in a row because it's very light. I have not seen a single person thru-hiking on the AT with a fuel stove because it is so heavy.
On the other hand, lots of bike tourer (cyclotourist) can carry more weight on their bike so they will have larger cook pot and thus, fuel stove.
I agree, the Whisperlite is hands-down a better stove. I just don’t want to discourage casual campers who might struggle to prime the fuel line or preheat the vaporizer. Canisters are just much easier — and the stove is half the price.

If you’re serious about camping or do it more than once in a while, the Whisperlite is a worthy investment which will pay for itself over time.
Member
User avatar
Aug 24, 2015
393 posts
1243 upvotes
AB
I have a PR2 and an imitation from Aliexpress for $6. I must admit... both work pretty much identically. There are YouTube comparisons as well. Just another option in case you want to save more $$$
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
2035 posts
474 upvotes
Lévis
MooseV2 wrote: Holy cow what a steal! If I needed another stove I would definitely get this. For those who want help choosing:

- You car camp a couple times / year -> Pocket Rocket
- You backcountry camp -> Whisperlite
- You backcountry camp + want the flexibility of using butane canisters -> Whisperlite Universal (note: international can't use canisters)
- You backcountry camp + want to simmer food -> Dragonfly

Note: The dragonfly is MUCH louder than the Whisperlite (hence the name). Being in the backcountry makes that much worse because everything around you is so quiet.

By the way, I don't know anyone who actively uses unleaded gasonline or kerosene (unless they're backpacking on a different continent). They make the bottom of your pot/stove sooty. You can get White Gas (aka Naptha) at Canadian Tire for cheap, sold as Coleman Fuel. MSR also has their own branded white gas which burns cleaner than Coleman, but either will work.

Don't forget to order an MSR fuel bottle if you're using any of the White Gas stoves (not included). Personally I use the smallest size (325ml) and carry extra fuel in a HDPE Nalgene: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1601-129/ ... ter-Bottle
For summer short trips in small groups, I rather go with an alcohol stove. But that's just my opinion.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2010
1381 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
LaurentD88313 wrote: I agree on 99% on your post, beside the Pocket Rocket vs Whisperlite.

- Pocket Rocket = canister and for ultralight. If you are cooking Knorrs, ramens, instant potatoes and simply boiling water. (let say 0-5 min)
- Whisperlite = fuel and much heavier, but it is made for real cooking (let say 5-30 min)

99% of thru-hiker uses a pocket rocket or equivalent (BRS-3000T in my case) for months in a row because it's very light. I have not seen a single person thru-hiking on the AT with a fuel stove because it is so heavy.
On the other hand, lots of bike tourer (cyclotourist) can carry more weight on their bike so they will have larger cook pot and thus, fuel stove.
You mean 99% of the amateur, casual weekend hiker.

A thru hiker have a mix of different kind of stoves and pick one depending on the terrain, time on the trail and weather the hiker is going.

I stopped using the pocket rocket long time ago and now use most of the time a Bushbox titanium stove. It allows me to use wood, esbit solid fuel tablets or I can combine it with abt any alcohol stove. It gives me way better versatility at a very light weight.

I still believe MSR is an amazing brand and that the reactor stove is probably the best stove for cold/winter situations unfortunate is very expensive.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 1, 2018
81 posts
90 upvotes
ToDealHunter wrote: You mean 99% of the amateur, casual weekend hiker.

A thru hiker have a mix of different kind of stoves and pick one depending on the terrain, time on the trail and weather the hiker is going.

I stopped using the pocket rocket long time ago and now use most of the time a Bushbox titanium stove. It allows me to use wood, esbit solid fuel tablets or I can combine it with abt any alcohol stove. It gives me way better versatility at a very light weight.

I still believe MSR is an amazing brand and that the reactor stove is probably the best stove for cold/winter situations unfortunate is very expensive.
LOL what you say is nonsense.
I am a thru-hiker, AT 2017 nobo, 4-1/2 months (130 days), started on springer at 20F / -8C.
Do you really think thru-hikers swap stoves during a 5 months hike ? No. They go and hike on with the same unless it breaks.

You should also check the survey from TheTrek , canister stoves are the most used :
https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/to ... er-survey/
Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2013
729 posts
2479 upvotes
Toronto
Same price at Sportchek currently if you don't have MEC membership. You might be able to stack the 10% signup coupon - I ran out emails so I can't test. SHIP for free shipping.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/hiking-camping/camping-equipment/camp-kitchen/product/msr-pocket-rocket-2-stove-332273097.html#332273097=332273099

Other products are there too.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1872 posts
2076 upvotes
BC
MSR is 25% off at Sport Chek right now too.

@Coolcicada
I ran out emails so I can't test.
If you use gmail, you can add +1 (then +2, +asdjh, +123hSD90jk, etc.) to the end of your address. Sport Chek sees is as a new address, you still get the email to your inbox. Ie. Mikebc@gmail.com, Mikebc+1@gmail.com.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2010
1381 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
LaurentD88313 wrote: LOL what you say is nonsense.
I am a thru-hiker, AT 2017 nobo, 4-1/2 months (130 days), started on springer at 20F / -8C.
Do you really think thru-hikers swap stoves during a 5 months hike ? No. They go and hike on with the same unless it breaks.

You should also check the survey from TheTrek , canister stoves are the most used :
https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/to ... er-survey/
Maybe you incorrectly interpreted what I wrote or maybe my wording was incorrect.

I was not trying to say a hiker swap stoves while in one hike. I meant the hiker pick one stove depending on the hike/adventure he/she is going, not necessarily 99% of the time the pocket rocket.

On the other hand saying that the 99% of the "thru hikers" use the pocket rocket is really non sense.

If you are really a "thru hiker" you probably know using a canister fuel stove is not the best idea on cold weather.

Not like I am going on a pissing contest with you but based on what you just wrote about yourself I am pretty sure I have way way more experience than you ...but hey I still dont consider myself as a "thru hiker".
Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2013
729 posts
2479 upvotes
Toronto
mikebc wrote: MSR is 25% off at Sport Chek right now too.

@Coolcicada

If you use gmail, you can add +1 (then +2, +asdjh, +123hSD90jk, etc.) to the end of your address. Sport Chek sees is as a new address, you still get the email to your inbox. Ie. Mikebc@gmail.com, Mikebc+1@gmail.com.
Thank you for this hot tip, it worked! I can confirm that the signup code stacks with the 25%.
Member
Dec 3, 2009
249 posts
53 upvotes
Ottawa
What do I need to do to get the email from SportChek? Just register? I did that and confirmed but nothing else since... ?

Edit: Gotta subscribe :) Got it, thanks
Member
Jan 21, 2010
402 posts
393 upvotes
Brantford
The MSR stoves seems to be on sale at Altitude Sports for a bit more too, for those who have Alti-Dollars or other credits. Also 2% Rakuten cashback.

Edit: Thanks to RougeJeff for pointing out that the membership discount is 10% atm so the prices are as follows:
Pocket Rocket 2 $43.19
Whisperlite $86.39
Whisperlite International $93.59
Whisperlite Universal $133.19
Last edited by jfd3220 on May 8th, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Apr 10, 2019
21 posts
18 upvotes
Had a PocketRocket but switched to a WindBurder. We used it in VERY windy hikes and it still worked. It's not that bulkier/heavier when collapsed.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2004
4173 posts
1262 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the Pocket Rocket 2. It's fantastic. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to get a starter or simply a reliable stove that just works. I recommend using support legs if your cooking device is much wider than a small pot.

Unsolicited and maybe controversial tip: Along the option to just go fast and light, you can also choose to pair it with the JetBoil FluxRing Cooking Pot to cook for a group, simply boil more water faster, or more easily cook items that require a larger surface area. It just gives you a little bit more flexibility than buying something like a JetBoil Flash which we used for one trip where the ignitor broke and ended up getting returned. It was our group's first camping trip with a stove and while we found the Flash to be good for boiling water, it wasn't as good for anything else. The Flash also does not simmer well while the PR2 does. Using the JB Pot is also more fuel efficient.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1393 posts
842 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
jfd3220 wrote: The MSR stoves seems to be on sale at Altitude Sports for a bit more too, for those who have Alti-Dollars or other credits. Also 2% Rakuten cashback.
If you got the membership, its 10% extra so less expensive.
Member
Oct 31, 2014
444 posts
385 upvotes
Victoria, BC
As someone who has had most of the ones mentioned: the big disadvantage often not mentioned with regard to canister stoves is operating costs and ending up with a bunch of part-full canisters. Plus the waste and the extra height can make it tippier.

Whisperlite vs dragonfly: whisperlite is more efficient in speed to heat up water and fuel efficiency, but it doesn't do low temp well, it's either medium or high. Dragonfly, better for fancy cooking where you want more control but you pay for it in noise and efficiency.

I still have all three but mostly use the whisperlite, followed by the dragonfly, and at a very very distant third the pocket rocket.

Top