Expired Hot Deals

[MEC] MEC spark 1-2p tent 36-40% off (very warm)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2020 12:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
40 posts
47 upvotes

[MEC] MEC spark 1-2p tent 36-40% off (very warm)

MEC has a very warm / hot deal for their Spark 1 person and 2 person tent on clearance. High quality equipment such as tents and sleeping bag rarely have deals at all, 15% at best. This is 36-40% depending if you choose 1-2 person tent.

1 person = 173.97$ (reg : 289.95$) 40% off
2 person = 249.57$ (reg : 389.95$) 36% off

Link : https://www.mec.ca/en/brand/mec/product ... nclearance

Note 1 : This is a cold deal if you do car camping. Light and ultralight tents are used by thru-hikers, section hikers, week-end warrior, bike tourer, etc. It is probably less durable/waterproof than a cheap tent.

Note 2 : I am 6'2'' and I thru-hiked the AT in a 1 person tent (fly creek). Don't be afraid if you're a tall person like me. Your pack and shoes will stay in the vestibule.

Note 3 : A 2 person tent is good for 1 person with extra room or a couple for a short period (1-2 weeks). It is small but then again, very light weight/person ratio. I cycled the Cabot Trail with a friend and I had to go with a regular mat, since a long neoair xlite is longer/wider.
49 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20627 posts
2956 upvotes
YUL
Good deal. THese are great alternatives to the BA Flycreek tent, which are about double the price here in Canada. MEC makes quality stuff.
Jun 20, 2018
50 posts
13 upvotes
Would something like this be sufficient for doing the west coast trail? Also, would you go for a 1P or 2P if doing the WCT solo?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20627 posts
2956 upvotes
YUL
Prezbot wrote: Would something like this be sufficient for doing the west coast trail? Also, would you go for a 1P or 2P if doing the WCT solo?
I always prefer a bit more space, but if you count every ounce, like some people do then go for 1p. Also consider the packed size
Jul 13, 2007
362 posts
231 upvotes
Vancouver
What’s with the down votes ??

Like Najibs points out - BA is premium priced - and this is a good alternative.

MEC I think still has their try it out and buy if you like it from their rental section - when you purchase it you’ll get a slight discount.

MEC is generally great with their warranties and helpful staff when you’re at the retail locations to boot.
Nov 13, 2019
71 posts
119 upvotes
LaurentD88313 wrote: High quality equipment such as tents and sleeping bag rarely have deals at all, 15% at best.

That's really not true. Lots of high quality tents are often on sale for up to 50% off. Look at Sail, Atmosphere, Mec, etc.

Go on sail.ca right now and there are quality brands like MSR, Eureka, etc. with sales of >15%
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20627 posts
2956 upvotes
YUL
bigtuna99 wrote: That's really not true. Lots of high quality tents are often on sale for up to 50% off. Look at Sail, Atmosphere, Mec, etc.

Go on sail.ca right now and there are quality brands like MSR, Eureka, etc. with sales of >15%
Yeah, but usually not on ultralight gear. Ultralight is very niche.
Nov 13, 2019
71 posts
119 upvotes
najibs wrote: Yeah, but usually not on ultralight gear. Ultralight is very niche.

You didn't mention ultralight in your original comment; you said "high quality equipment such as tents and sleeping bags..." so I was just clarifying that's not the case :)
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20627 posts
2956 upvotes
YUL
bigtuna99 wrote: You didn't mention ultralight in your original comment; you said "high quality equipment such as tents and sleeping bags..." so I was just clarifying that's not the case :)
I never said that. Someone else typed that. You're failing here Sherlock Holmes :lol:
Either way, MEC gear is high quality, backed by a good warranty. Finding brand name ultralight gear at this price point is not usual. It's a great deal.
Nov 13, 2019
71 posts
119 upvotes
najibs wrote: I never said that. Someone else typed that. You're failing here Sherlock Holmes :lol:
Either way, MEC gear is high quality, backed by a good warranty. Finding brand name ultralight gear at this price point is not usual. It's a great deal.

Looks like you're right, you are not the thread creator! lol

So I still stand by my first comment in response to the thread creator, high quality tents do go on sale for up to 50% off all the time

And then like you said, for the people looking for the niche ultralight gear, this is a good deal
Oct 4, 2018
9 posts
10 upvotes
LaurentD88313 wrote: MEC has a very warm / hot deal for their Spark 1 person and 2 person tent on clearance. High quality equipment such as tents and sleeping bag rarely have deals at all, 15% at best. This is 36-40% depending if you choose 1-2 person tent.

1 person = 173.97$ (reg : 289.95$) 40% off
2 person = 249.57$ (reg : 389.95$) 36% off

Link : https://www.mec.ca/en/brand/mec/product ... nclearance

Note 1 : This is a cold deal if you do car camping. Light and ultralight tents are used by thru-hikers, section hikers, week-end warrior, bike tourer, etc. It is probably less durable/waterproof than a cheap tent.

Note 2 : I am 6'2'' and I thru-hiked the AT in a 1 person tent (fly creek). Don't be afraid if you're a tall person like me. Your pack and shoes will stay in the vestibule.

Note 3 : A 2 person tent is good for 1 person with extra room or a couple for a short period (1-2 weeks). It is small but then again, very light weight/person ratio. I cycled the Cabot Trail with a friend and I had to go with a regular mat, since a long neoair xlite is longer/wider.
Are you saying that it is a light tent and that it is less waterproof than a cheap tent? The specs show 3000mm for the fly and 5000mm for the floor. My tent is rated at 2000/2500 and it can almost withstand a torrential rainfall. Specs are the best I've seen if true. Might consider it. Thanks for the heads up
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
40 posts
47 upvotes
Prezbot wrote: Would something like this be sufficient for doing the west coast trail? Also, would you go for a 1P or 2P if doing the WCT solo?
Hi Prezbot,
I hiked the WCT in 2016 with a MSR Elixir 2 which is super heavy. I also had jeans and nonsense items since I was traveling to Vancouver and Seattle after the hike. So yes, it is definitely a great tent for the WCT, Long Trail, AT, PCT, and so on.
Happy trails
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1075 posts
882 upvotes
Is there any reason to buy this if you are only planning on tenting out of a car?
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
40 posts
47 upvotes
sushitaco wrote: Are you saying that it is a light tent and that it is less waterproof than a cheap tent? The specs show 3000mm for the fly and 5000mm for the floor. My tent is rated at 2000/2500 and it can almost withstand a torrential rainfall. Specs are the best I've seen if true. Might consider it. Thanks for the heads up
Hi sushitaco,
I have a Nemo Hornet 2p which is rated 1200mm on both fly and floor IIRC. I had torrential rain last summer on the Cabot Trail and we were completely dry. I was preparing to be flame by some users who would say "it's expensive and less waterproof than my coleman tent". Some tents are rated 8000mm so I just wanted to be clear upfront, expensive tents does not automatically means it's more durable and/or more waterproof. It often means lighter ;)
Happy trails!
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
40 posts
47 upvotes
nicolascon wrote: Is there any reason to buy this if you are only planning on tenting out of a car?
No reason at all, like I said on note 1, it's a cold deal for car camping because the benefit of this tent is lightweight.